Couch to 5K + 30 Day Shred

Options
I typed this on my phone so I am sorry if the formatting makes it a nightmare to read.

Hi MFP! I've read amazing "reviews" of C25K and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I'm going to do both together. However...

C25K is a 9 week program that has you run 3 times a week, and

30DS has 30 days of workouts (obviously lol) but JM actually reccomends a schedule like this:
2 days of shred, 1 cardio day, 2 shred, 1 cardio, and a rest. Repeat. (It takes 7.5 weeks to complete this way)

As you can tell, 30DS allots for only 2 cardio days a week. So to be able to do both simutaneously, I have 3 options:

Option A: (probably not going to, but it is an option of I learn that it will be more beneficial) Do not take a rest day; instead do cardio that day.

Option B: Do day 3 of cardio on day 4 of 30DS (the day before rest)

Option C (most complicated!: ) Do the 2 days of cardio as allotted with Jenny's reccomendation for 7.5 weeks until 30DS is over. This will bring me up to day 13 out of 27 of C25K. following the end of 30DS, start doing 3 days of cardio per week to finish C25K in 11 weeks instead of 9.

I don't want to hurt myself by going balls-out or anything. Furthermore, I don't want to stall my C25K progress by not running enough.

Any advice?

*edit- yes it is Jillian Michaels, lol. And I run twice a week already if that changes anything.

Replies

• dream_big
    dream_big Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Do you mean Jillian micheals 30 day shred? I'm doing them both at the same time. Me personally I like to do c25k right after 30ds I find I'm not as sore after. But I was jogging a bit everyday before so c25k is less than what I was used to I just needed something else to push me to go further so decided to start it from the beginning. I think it all depends what your fitness level is now and what your body is used to.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I think you mean Jillian Michaels not Jenny Craig but I would follow:

2 days of shred, 1 cardio day, 2 shred, 1 cardio, and a rest. Repeat.

You C25K week doesn't have to be done Monday-Friday. I started my program on Friday, did the second day on Sunday and the third day on Wednesday. As long as you get the recommended rest, I don't think matters if you finish a week in a conventional day.

Also if you are a beginner, the 30DS is hard, will leave you huffing and puffing, even though its 30mins. So you need rest!

Good Luck with it all. Just play it by ear and don't go insane, you are more likely to hurt yourself like that. Also its ok if it takes you 15days to finish level one as opposed to 10 or whatever.
  • RaeganDoucet
    RaeganDoucet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've never done Shred but if you enjoy running and want to take it on as a sport/hobby, can't you run three days a week then just do Shred a couple of times a week as a crosstraining workout?

Bottom line, do whatever you really prefer doing. If you like it and it gets you moving, it's all good! :)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    c25K reccommends running no more than every other day. So why not alternate with the shred and then take one rest day (or use it as a walking day).

No big deal if you don't complete c25K in the time it says (12 weeks?? I can't remember). You'll actually do better if you don't do it every day, in my experience. so the shred could be the ideal workout in between running days.