I think I'm ready to quit...

SMOKING!!!!!!!! (Haha, fooled you.) :laugh:

Yes, it's true. I'm a dirty little smoker. But with finding out my son has asthma, and getting deeper and deeper into my workouts and my boyfriend quit and my mom quit...

It's just kinda like ... why am i still doing this again?

But I know why... i :heart: :heart: :heart: it. I know, that's so gross.

But I think i'm ready. (I've been "ready" before...)

Any advice??

Replies

• ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    SMOKING!!!!!!!! (Haha, fooled you.) :laugh:

Yes, it's true. I'm a dirty little smoker. But with finding out my son has asthma, and getting deeper and deeper into my workouts and my boyfriend quit and my mom quit...

It's just kinda like ... why am i still doing this again?

But I know why... i :heart: :heart: :heart: it. I know, that's so gross.

But I think i'm ready. (I've been "ready" before...)

Any advice??
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    I have absolutely no advice cuz I've never been a smoker but I can say you are making the right decision. Especially since your son has asthma.

Congratulations on taking the first step!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Buy a last pack. Make your last cig an important thing. Then walk away for good. Thats what I did and I haven't bought another pack since. Make sure you have a reason for quitting. I mean, which is more important, your nic fix, or your child's ability to breathe?
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    You have started at the right place. You have to be ready. I had a love hate thing with cigs for the last few years i smoked. I loved the feeling but hated the smell and how i could no longer run.

You have to start every day as a non smoker. The hardest part is not lighting up at times/places where you used to. It can be done i did it and its been about 18 months and i could still have one any day but i dont.

your child will benifit and so will you. My son ( never smoked in the house) just told me one day that he wanted me to quit. I set a date and did it and have not looked back.

I dont miss the smell and guess what? I can almost run like i used to if only i could be 25 again. LOL

Oh well im gonna be a kick *kitten* 40

:glasses:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    I used the patch for one month and herbal cigs for about two weeks. I have been smoke free for one year this June! (And EVERYONE I know smokes, so that makes it harder).

Good luck.....it's not easy, but it's worth it!!!!
  • ToTheLove
    Buy a last pack. Make your last cig an important thing. Then walk away for good. Thats what I did and I haven't bought another pack since. Make sure you have a reason for quitting. I mean, which is more important, your nic fix, or your child's ability to breathe?

Well I've never smoked around him, unless he's playing outside or something. Don't smoke in the house or in the car when he's in there. But still. I don't want to smell like that anymore. Every single member of my family that's died since I can remember died from either complications from obesity or smoking. (mostly smoking) I watched my Grandma die 3 years ago from lung cancer. My best friends mom (Like a second mom to me) died 2 years ago from lung cancer (At 44 :cry: ) I don't want to do that to my baby. I don't want him to someday have to watch me waste away, I don't want to put him through the pain I watched my mom and my best friend go though... just because I "liked" smoking. It's like... It'd be all my fault that these people are in pain.

I can't do that to them.

That's it. I'm doing it. No more questions.

The next decision... Chantix or no Chantix. My mom and my aunt used it and it worked GREAT for them... What do you guys think?
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    I would use something to help you quit....whatever it may be. I don't personally know that medication, but I have heard about it (good things). I do recommend that you find something to replace the GESTURE for at least the first two weeks. If not something directly, like herbal cigs, at least something to do with your hands (I knit a million things this year :smile: ) because it will keep your mind busy at the same time.
  • bittersweet22
    bittersweet22 Posts: 47 Member
    I started smoking when I was 15, and when I was only 22 I kept getting sick, and I couldn't hardly even breath. I would get sick and stay sick. It was because I was smoking, and I was quickly killing myself. I had a pack of cigs, and when the last cig was gone, I think I smoked like one more after that, and I told myself thats it. No more! I've been smoke free for 8 months now and I feel great. I feel better knowing that that tiny little thing doesn't control me any more. just keep telling yourself that you aren't a smoker any more. When that urge to smoke hits you, drink water, chew gum, just try your best to think about something else. And something that helped me, was I didn't want my son to see me smoke, and grow up thinking that its ok because mommy does it. I didn't want him to ever smoke! You can do it!25627.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    I quit almost 3 years ago,after smoking for over 20 years, my hubby quit 2 years earlier after smoking over 30 years. If you smoke a lot ( over a pack a day) I would advise you to use the patch ( that's how a lot of my friends did it) If it is less I would go cold turkey. Pick out a couple of days that you know will be slow,on stress ( a long weekend off of work or a vaccation) and then write down why you smoke and what you like about it and on the other side write down why you want to quit.Then you make sure you have lots of munchies ( like carrots, celerie, cucumbers and stuff like that) handy. Avoid situations that would tempt you to smoke ( at that time mine were coffee, alcohol and after a big dinner)Another thing that might help is a hobby like needle work, knitting or painting or just filling your day with lots of fun stuff. when you get tempted, go over your list , read why you want to quit, pop a sugar free candy in your mouth , read it again and by then the urge will have fadet. Oh and make sure you get yourself a piggy bank, where you put all the money you save by not buying the nasty things, you can go on a nice vaccation if you would save vor a year.... I wish you success:flowerforyou:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    I'm glad your quiting. You derserve to live long and healthy:drinker: Sorry Can't offer any advise, was never a smoker but just wanted to congratulate you:flowerforyou:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • keri_cook
    keri_cook Posts: 14
    My dad is using chantax..he said it really helps the cravings... BUT it is messing with him emotionally...there have been side effects of suicidal thoughts...other then that he has crazy dreams at night (which isn't that bad)..he took the pill for about one month..and was getting to where he didn't even want to get out of bed because he felt so depressed..his Dr. recommended him to get off the pill...which he did (and started smoking again)....the Dr. also wants him to try it again in a month or two but he wants to lower the dosage....I too am a smoker ....and i also run 5 miles 5-6 days a week (doesn't really effect me to much)...I am wanting to quit..but I know i am not truely ready to quit...I recommend you trying chantax...but just pay close attention to your mental state...if there is anything that doesn't seem right..contact...your Dr. immediatly..
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Good for you!!! I quit about two months ago, and I am truly enjoying it!! I can taste things again, I can actually smell the lilacs in the kitchen that my son picked for me, nothing revolves around having a smoke anymore, I have saved money, I don't choke to death in the mornings when I wake up, I can put all I've got into my workouts, and I know when I do run out of breath it's because I am working hard, not because I just plain can't breathe! I know you can do it. If you need anything please let me know!! I know that you can do it, because I did it!!!
  • ToTheLove
    I smoke about a half pack a day (Cut down from over a pack a day when I started working out at the end of January)

I think I'm going to go cold turkey. I think I can do it! I did it when I got pregnant.. (Then at that time just the smell made me throw up)

I'm doing it guys!!! I have 3 left in my current pack and I'm going to buy one more pack. And that's it.

I might need you're help on this one guys!!! (Seriously, you guys have already motivated me to do things I never EVER thought I'd be able to do before with the weight loss and all...)

Thank you so much. I'm going to break this hold cigarettes have on me! Why? Because it's my life and my body and I do with it what I want! :bigsmile:

Thanks guys. I'm excited!