Eating when your not hungry

Options
I have a night job on week-ends so I usually sleep in on week-ends also. This means I loose about 1/4 of my day. I usually eat three healthy meals a day. However some of my meals, like my dinner this past week, have a low calorie count. I made chicken breasts, zucchini, tomatoes and corn. Healthy and filling, but only 360 calories. Some days I find myself having a sandwich or salad even though I'm not hungry just so I can stay above 1200 calories for the day.
So my question, do you eat when you not hungry?

Replies

• tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Probably not the popular answer, but I do what my body tells me. I've been fighting a cold the last few days, haven't been too hungry. I still get 1400-1500 calories, but I'm not going to force myself to eat just to reach a number when my body tells me it doesn't want food.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Nope. If I wasn't on MFP I wouldn't either. When I do get off MFP I'll know better how to listen to my body. When it's hungry, even if I go over cals I'll eat too..just try n make it a good choice when I do. I find it ebbs and flows and I just go with it but with commonsense.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Serum leptin concentration levels can drop within 24 hours of calorie restriction. With that said, it's never a good idea to rely on your satiety to determine energy needs - it should be the other way around, instead. Establish what those energy needs are according to your lifestyle and do your best to provide your body with that caloric amount consistently. For those short days, simply add more calories to each meal.
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    I tend to eat before I'm hungry, just to prevent a meltdown. When I get hungry, I get snippy if I don't eat anything within 15 to 30 minutes of getting hungry, then I spiral down. I also sometimes can binge when hungry, so I try to avoid my body telling me when to eat.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty scheduled..even when im not hungry..because i know if i dont...i will end up being hungrier later and then do something i might regret. so its best to keep my metabolism going and my internal timer.

on the weekends when i wake up later than usual, i will add more calorie dense foods to make up for the calories that i didnt quite get in earlier.
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. Like just now I ate cracker chips even though I wasn't hungry. Mainly because I'm under my calorie limit and I know that after an unknown amount of hours studying tonight I'm going to be hungry if I don't snack on something.
    I'm trying hard not to do the whole mindless snacking though.... like not being hungry, but eating while you're in front of the tv to the point where you eventually eat way more than you should.
  • MrsWonderland
    MrsWonderland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was always a midnight person, still pretty much am even though I am not working. So I understand. Since being on here and trying to do it all the right way atleast the best that I can, I find that some days I dont meet my calorie range. After 3 days of being under that goal, I ate when I wasnt hungry, never again. If Im not hungry Im just not gonna eat to be in that range. Im doing the best I can and so far so good.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do, but I'm an atypical MFPer since I'm actively trying to gain weight currently. However, from your profile stats, you might be too.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I find myself under 1200, and I am the type of person who can't force themselves to eat. As long as I have had enough vegetables & protein I don't worry too much. Sometimes I can drink a glass of milk, and that helps.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Probably not the popular answer, but I do what my body tells me. I've been fighting a cold the last few days, haven't been too hungry. I still get 1400-1500 calories, but I'm not going to force myself to eat just to reach a number when my body tells me it doesn't want food.
    When I am sick, I often lose my appetite.
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    No, I don't eat unless I am hungry. I probably need to; that is why I am most likely not loosing weight. But, I do good to eat three meals a day. I have a tummy disease and sometimes eating 3 meals, hurts.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I don't eat when I'm not hungry. I'm just going to trust my body more than some 1200 calorie goal given to pretty much everyone I talk to who uses this website. I've been losing weight, so it seems to be working.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I dont want to force myself anymore. Yes, I know it's just as important (for me) to meet my cal goals as it is not to go over. Im just going to listen to my body and do my best to find balace without forcing 2 tbsp of PB at the end of the night because I didn't quite make it =)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I listen to my body also. Why eat if your legitimately not hungry?
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I dont want to force myself anymore. Yes, I know it's just as important (for me) to meet my cal goals as it is not to go over. Im just going to listen to my body and do my best to find balace without forcing 2 tbsp of PB at the end of the night because I didn't quite make it =)

O.o no one has to force me to eat my late night PB :p
  • jenshoeee
    jenshoeee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I HAVE to eat when I am not really hungry. For example, it's recommended to eat within 30 minutes of waking up. I am NEVER hungry when I wake up, but I know I should eat. During the day, you should eat every 3 to 4 hours, to keep metabolism up. When I know it's time to eat, but I am not really hungry, I drink a protein shake.