sorta feel like im binging.. but...

Options
okay- i basically went all day without eating (i usually do, i know its not healthy, but im so busy, and all the stomach problems i have been having, i simply do not get hungry, when my 3 year old goes to bed is usually when i actually get a chance to sit for 2 minutes)..

i made a hamburger on the george foreman grill... mustard and ketchup, tomatoe and raw onion on a bun..

i also had a liter of brisk iced tea today- i had a problem where my bowels were impacted, but all the way up to the top of my intestines and having to do 4 doses of miralax every 4 hours and its just too gritty in water..

Anyway- it says i still need like 730ish calories for the day.. i almost NEVER meet my calorie goal.. im not starving myself, i just like to be under.. as well as normally, im in so much pain i cant eat.. and have had no hunger pains for a LONG TIME , cause of that impaction...

now that its getting cleared out- i feel like im starving... im still hungry- not a whole lot of healthy stuff in the house currently (i shopped with my dad and daughter in mind, and im not gonna eat her children based yogurt and stuff on her).. even though i know i could still have another 500ish calories and be under goal- im feeling HORRIBLY GUILTY about eating this late at night.. especially after i just ate...

any advice??? (yup, drank 2 big glasses of water.. didn't work)

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    IF you're hungry and you have the calories to spare...eat. It doesn't matter what time you eat, the body is going to process it all the same.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Just eat, if you are hungry. The time won't matter, but you have to keep your metabolism going. Make a peanutbutter sandwich or some eggs or something.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    if its eating late at night that is making you feel guilty, don't (feel guilty). Your body does not care if its 2am or 5pm, it treats calories the same.

Eat a peanut butter and banana sandwich or something! whole grain if you can. that should do the trick :)
  • HMToomey
    Options
    An apple with peanut butter, Pop corn or oatmeal. This late I like oatmeal with some chocolate chips (or syrup) stirred in. I'd say anything with fiber at this point and another glass of water before bed. You have the calories, don't feel guilty! I never eat all of mine either I like to bank my exercise calories.
  • jaded011
    Options
    thanks guys- i guess it's just- i always heard u shouldn't eat within so many hours of going to bed.... i feel like- i can't go eat something else (i was REALLY thinking about a bowl of mini wheats to be honest), and then go to bed in the next hour.... is this just some urban legend about weight loss i heard all my life- or does it actually make it stick more if u eat that close to bed time.... ?
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Don't give in to that guilt! It isn't wrong or a binge if you are still hungry and still have calories left. Think of it as taking care of yourself and giving your body the fuel it needs.

edit - I haven't had any difference between not eating 3 ~ 4 hours before bed and eating within an hour or less for weight loss. Eating closer to bed just makes me less hungry when I wake up in the morning.
  • jaded011
    Options
    yeah, u guys are right.. its been a LONG time since i REALLY ate- i guess one night isn't gonna kill me.. but in a way- i wanted to know- does anyone else ever battle with the guilt problems of eating more than you planned to, or eating close to when you go to sleep?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    thanks guys- i guess it's just- i always heard u shouldn't eat within so many hours of going to bed.... i feel like- i can't go eat something else (i was REALLY thinking about a bowl of mini wheats to be honest), and then go to bed in the next hour.... is this just some urban legend about weight loss i heard all my life- or does it actually make it stick more if u eat that close to bed time.... ?

Eating late being bad for you is a myth. Have your mini wheats if that's what you want. Don't feel guilty about eating.
  • crrobin
    crrobin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the guilt...that will only leave u feeling discouraged. Try to acknowledge your mistakes, learn from them and move on! I'm sorry it has taken me as long as it has to realize this sooner....I know it sounds like a simple concept, but in my book, it's the key to success!

Oh...and I work night shifts ..so I eat at all hours of the day and night and that hasn't prevented me from losing:)
  • HMToomey
    Options
    Forget regret! I never feel guilty about choices I have made because they have made me who I am, and I like myself! :) Eating close to bed time is an urban legend. I had a slice of pie today for dessert it was 260 calories of heaven and I worked out for and hour at Zumba to pay for it! Do what makes you happy. Living should never be about depriving yourself of anything!

Enjoy your mini wheats and have a good night! Friend request me if you want more support.
  • jaded011
    Options
    I realized- i had a bag of salad mix in there- the mixed green kind with carrots and cabbage in it... so about a cup and a half of that- with about a tablespoon of sliced olives on top, 4 crackers (cause i like something sorta crunchy in my salad) and just enough lite ranch to flavor it , but not make it swim in it... at least i'll be getting veggies instead of just carbs and sugar!

thanks for helping out with the guilt stuff guys..... i didn't add up the calories yet- just hope it doesn't put me over.....
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I noticed on your profile that you have dealt with EDs in the past. Not eating properly or enough for a period of time can easily bring those types of thoughts up and I think that is where the guilt comes from.

I do feel guilty about how much I eat, because it's almost always over what I feel I "should" eat... but I try to ignore it by reminding myself that I burn more than I give myself credit for. If I didn't eat late I probably wouldn't eat anything at all most days.
  • ndanielsymca
    Options
    I like eating something gentle on the stomach like cantelope, melons , or watermelon and it will also helps with the constipation, especially late at night, because I suffer from gerds I can't eat right before going to bed. The melons are also high water content and digest quickly so you feel like you're not going to bed with a full stomach.
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I see you had stomach issues. I had the same problems and didn't want to eat, but when I did eat, I'd binge (guilty of that today).

I just recently (and I mean recently) realized eating jicama made my stomach feel much better. Also, get a LOT of walking in.
  • jaded011
    Options
    I noticed on your profile that you have dealt with EDs in the past. Not eating properly or enough for a period of time can easily bring those types of thoughts up and I think that is where the guilt comes from.

I do feel guilty about how much I eat, because it's almost always over what I feel I "should" eat... but I try to ignore it by reminding myself that I burn more than I give myself credit for. If I didn't eat late I probably wouldn't eat anything at all most days.

yea- i probably burn more calories than i log, because i cant exactly click on- chased around a 3 year old all day, picking up her messes, dealing with 2 new kittens on top of it , bathing my 3 year old (she likes it, but likes to make it a HUGE mess, with me constantly mopping water out of the floor lol) and yes.. i have EDNOS- and the meds im on- my antidepresants are the kind that can actually trigger eds if u had them before... so i know i sorta struggle with it- i just usually try not to talk about it.. it freaks out my boyfriend and his family (and i live with them half the time).. my family is basically used to it by now and give the token "oh go eat something" and ignore it.
  • jaded011
    Options
    I see you had stomach issues. I had the same problems and didn't want to eat, but when I did eat, I'd binge (guilty of that today).

I just recently (and I mean recently) realized eating jicama made my stomach feel much better. Also, get a LOT of walking in.

im not sure what jicama is...... ???

i do try to walk a min of 30 minutes a day, but dealing with kidney stones and my gall bladder has stopped working, so the chronic pain is slowing me down a bit (can't take anything for it either until they know the impaction stuff is gone.. fun stuff)
  • jaded011
    Options
    and, even with the salad i decided on and am currently eating- im still under calorie goal- so.. im happy with that.. im OVER my carbs, but under total calories- i can deal with that for tonight...

thanks everyone- you guys are great..
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have gallbladder issues (flare ups) too. I've found that apple cider vinegar mixed with water helps twice a day.

Jicama is a plant. You can find it at any supermarket, but Whole Foods sells it sliced and peeled already and it's not expensive. Sooooo good.

When I had a really bad flare up with the gallstones and couldn't take anything, I took a very hot washcloth and put it on my stomach. The pain didn't go very quickly, but it minimized it.
  • jaded011
    Options
    Yeah, I have gallbladder issues (flare ups) too. I've found that apple cider vinegar mixed with water helps twice a day.

Jicama is a plant. You can find it at any supermarket, but Whole Foods sells it sliced and peeled already and it's not expensive. Sooooo good.

When I had a really bad flare up with the gallstones and couldn't take anything, I took a very hot washcloth and put it on my stomach. The pain didn't go very quickly, but it minimized it.

i dont think we have a whole foods around here- and my gall bladder- no stones, no sludge.. just simply stopped working... so its constant pain that goes through my stomach, side, armpit and into my shoulder blade.... fun stuff.. nothing helps it.. nothing that i've tried yet...