What should I eat with soup?

Options
Excited to make lots of slow-cooker soups and stews this winter. But a bowl of soup doesn't usually fill me up on its own, so I like to eat something with it - and the habit of having warm, crusty bread with soup is hard to break, but I'm trying to have fewer carbs.

What other foods to you find pair well with soup??

Replies

• kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Salad?
  • tatanesha
    Options
    Grill cheese sandwich with the 45 calorie sara lee bread and fat free cheese (either borders or kraft)
  • MelanieSkittle
    MelanieSkittle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Tonight I had soup (it had beef, veggies, and noodles) for dinner with a mango yogurt. I also like to make a vegetable soup and have it with baked chicken or a pork chop. I agree that if I eat soup alone then I'm not satisfied; I need to pair it with something.
  • charminglochie
    charminglochie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always eat crackers with my soup although it's not a massively filling addition.
  • Rozie85
    Rozie85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ryvitas! I love them with it! Especially spread with low fat cream cheese. Very filling!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Try adding pearl barley, rice, couscous, lentils or pasta to your soups to make them more filling.
  • Handy333
    Options
    Try adding pearl barley, rice, couscous, lentils or pasta to your soups to make them more filling.

or Quinoa! Fills out the soup with loads of protein!
  • rmojo13
    rmojo13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you're short on time and don't have chicken or pork already prepared you can just open a can of tuna. Nothing exciting or even tasty but I did it yesterday for the same reason you are asking and it only set me back 100 calories and I got 20 grams of protein. I eat it plain right out of the can.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Grill cheese sandwich with the 45 calorie sara lee bread and fat free cheese (either borders or kraft)

I have to agree with this! so yummy.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options

This.

I like to add orzo. It's a pasta shaped like rice, perfect for bulking up a minestrone.
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I add raw carrot slices, scallions, or raw onions into my soup. adding crunchy texture instead of bread products.
    Spicy also slows me down (eating too fast , temps me to eat more).
    soups/chili with beans instead of noodles seems to help when I am really hungry .
    bye........... later
  • peppermintfizzer
    Options
    I have Soda Bread
  • calitravelingal
    Options
    I know you said you're trying to keep the carbs down but since they are non-processed carbs I'm gonna suggest them anyway. A nice baked potato or baked sweet potato made a good side to any soup that doen't already have pototo's in it. I always like a salad with my soup.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Still have some bread but maybe one more nutritionally sound? Like a hearty rye or whole grain wheat or sprout bread. :happy: I
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Excited to make lots of slow-cooker soups and stews this winter. But a bowl of soup doesn't usually fill me up on its own, so I like to eat something with it - and the habit of having warm, crusty bread with soup is hard to break, but I'm trying to have fewer carbs.

why don't you just eat the bread with the soup since you like it and eat less carbs in other meals if you want to stick with lower carbs
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have a cooked chicken breast with a bowl of soup, protein plus carbs! Ta-dah....slower digestion and, lower in carbs than having bread with it!

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I have a really good recipe for vegetable soup that is low cal and totally fills me up. I'll try to find the recipe but it has squash, carrots, zucchini, beans, corn, etc and bowtie pasta. It fills me up, especially if I drink the broth as well. I'll find it and post it.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Add more bulk to your soup! Beans, lentils, chicken, beef, etc. Add hearty stuff to your soup and you won't need/want anything to go with it. Salad is always great for a side, if you still want something else.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options

or Quinoa! Fills out the soup with loads of protein!

Yep, i bulk out my soups with these :-)
  • pennylaner
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone! Great ideas here, I'll mix it up with all of them. And if I splurge on bread, I'll make it healthier bread or add protein. ;)