Binge eating

Options
What are the causes of binge eating and how can you stop it?

Replies

• justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    for me... they are different at different times... one day it might be emotional... one day it might be boredom... one day it might be because I want to...

I evaluate myself whenever I am "hungry" to determine if I am actually hungry... if so I eat... it is another reason I figure out what and deal with the reason...

right now I am feeling very depressed (I have a broken foot... kids misbehaving... house is a mess... personal issues... I am lonely [haven't had a date since my divorce 6 years ago]... my mom is sick and dying... my family is thousands of miles away except my mom... I could go on and on and on) and I want to go into the kitchen and just eat...

but I am laying in bed and going ot go to sleep here soon rather than indulge because I know that this wanting to binge is an emotional response to emotional rubbish...

but... it varies by person as to the reasons
  • AtkinsLindsayD
    Options
    That is a great question. I am eager like you to hear some of the responses,

however the answers I think are stress, (as in using food as way to cope, and feel better) extreme dieting or starvation will cause a binge episode, pms, and just lack of willpower and control & not properly monitoring calories (im guilty of this one) Thanksgiving, Christmas, going to a buffet, etc.

I think health problems such as diabetes cause binge eating in some people. Thats about all i got.

Good luck dieting,
    Lindsay
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat when im stressed. Im working on that, but today for example, I have to submit 5 assignments for school in the next 72 hours (very stressed). I just ate a whole bag of chocolate chips. :/ Managing my stress is a work in progress, for sure!
  • frogz21
    frogz21 Posts: 314
    Options
    Lately all I can do is eat and eat. I hate it and I am trying to change it, but it's hard to when my mind is constantly telling me to eat.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Emotion is a trigger, and so is habit.
  • frogz21
    Options
    That is a great question. I am eager like you to hear some of the responses,

however the answers I think are stress, (as in using food as way to cope, and feel better) extreme dieting or starvation will cause a binge episode, pms, and just lack of willpower and control & not properly monitoring calories (im guilty of this one) Thanksgiving, Christmas, going to a buffet, etc.

I think health problems such as diabetes cause binge eating in some people. Thats about all i got.

Good luck dieting,
    Lindsay

I think me being so stressed has caused me to eat so much.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Sugar is what sets off my binges mostly.

I have recently increased my calories to 2,000 and that has really helped. I think some of it was the stress of not being sure I would have enough calories left in the day ;)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try a 24h fast? When I did a 36 hour fast, it really showed me that I don't NEED to eat... I most frequently eat because I WANT to eat. Or because I'm bored... not because I'm truly hungry. But then, at 36 hours, I felt as though I actually NEEDED food. It was eye opening to know what actually being hungry is for me... as opposed to just wanting to eat.

Anyways, I think it's different for everyone, but usually an emotional or stress response. For me, channeling my stress and emotions into a hard strength training session suppresses my appetite and just makes me feel better in general :)
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to stop it for good, but I find that I lose it under stress and when I'm running low on sleep. Those two are my biggest triggers. It's almost as if I can't see anything but having just one more.....fill in the blank.....until it's all gone.
    I feel like I have more control on it now that I log most every day and include my binges when I have them so I know what I'm doing and why I'm not losing. Logging keeps my binges from going too overboard. I can't remember the last time I made myself sick. That is real progress, but I certainly haven't found permanent control over it.
  • frogz21
    Options
    So if I fast it will help with the binging problem?
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm definately a boredom eater! I usually don't have a lot of problems during the week but weekends can be my downfall when I am not real busy!!
  • frogz21
    Options
    Whatever the cause..I just want it to stop because this isn't helping me lose unwanted weight.
  • frogz21
    Options
    Whatever the cause..I just want it to stop because this isn't helping me lose unwanted weight.

Are you eating a lot of processed foods?

Dr.Paul(can't remember his last name) made a unification theory of psychology. He claims that impulse is bread from anxiety. Impulsive eating is the result of anxiety.

Yes! So much processed crap and I am angry with myself for doing so. If I don't eat it then my mind freaks out. It's all I think about until I get it and once I have it I feel guilty. It's such a vicious cycle.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I know I have more trouble with sort of binge eating when I don't get enough sleep. Or if I eat too many foods with carbs/sugar, I crave more and more.
  • frogz21
    Options
    I know I have more trouble with sort of binge eating when I don't get enough sleep. Or if I eat too many foods with carbs/sugar, I crave more and more.

I want to eat healthy. My SO is an enabler and I am not saying it's his fault, but he definitely doesn't help with my problem.
  • mgardiner288
    mgardiner288 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a couple theories on bingeing (they are only my own, based on my experiences and should not be confused with professional or expert advice)

1. Fasting never helps. What are you going to do as soon as the fast is over? Binge because you are starving. and the cycle starts again. then you feel bad and guilty cause you binged, and then you binge again to feel better about binging. its an endless cycle.

2. I always ask myself "are you really hungry? Can you wait 10 minutes?" If yes, then i wait and go do something different walk around, do the dishes, fold laundry, usually the cravings or the hunger pangs go away. If they don't then i have a big drink of water, because our bodies tend not to be able to tell the difference between hunger and thirst. If that doesn't work then i have something to eat.

3. Don't punish yourself. If you had a bad day, don't let it turn into a bad week, or a bad month. Forgive yourself and say tomorrow is going to be better, just keep on trying. Everyday is an opportunity to start fresh.

4. Ask for help. if you feel like bingeing it is usually because of stress, emotions, or boredom. How about calling a friend or family member and venting, or making them go for a walk with you. Sometimes you just need to talk it out to feel better. Remember a cookie may make you feel better in the moment but it can't help you solve the problem long term.

Just my 2 cents from an expert emotional eater.

I would love to have any of you be my friends.
  • Furrybandit
    Options
    Boredom & cravings cause binge eating for me. I haven't binged for quiet some time, I've stopped. Knowing there are people who will be disappointed in me if I gain weight (ex. my doctor)
    I also just snack/"binge" on fruits & veggies. I stopped eating much junk food & if I do eat junk food it's usually just the recommended serving size or less. I usually work it off or something though. Just don't give in to the first chance you get at a sweet. Learn to control your urges.
  • frogz21
    Options

Are you eating a lot of processed foods?

Dr.Paul(can't remember his last name) made a unification theory of psychology. He claims that impulse is bread from anxiety. Impulsive eating is the result of anxiety.

Yes! So much processed crap and I am angry with myself for doing so. If I don't eat it then my mind freaks out. It's all I think about until I get it and once I have it I feel guilty. It's such a vicious cycle.

Then that's your problem, it's the processed food. As I originally said, sugar feeds sugar. What I would do if I was you is eat something healthy before you eat the junk food, something high in protein. and of course water.

So could I just wake up tomorrow and start fresh? What do I do with the remaining junk food? Do I just throw it out?
  • Gatominx
    Gatominx Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer! I just LOVE all things chocolate, chips, candy, ice cream. For me I think it could because I really just love the taste of it all, could be boredom, and I'm sure I must have some sort of addiction to it. Sometimes before I do it I'll think am I actually hungry, do I need to eat this, and I know the answer and its stalling my weight loss/getting in shape goals, but I still do it anyways. So frustrating!
  • mgardiner288
    mgardiner288 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So could I just wake up tomorrow and start fresh? What do I do with the remaining junk food? Do I just throw it out?
    [/quote]

throw it out. Hide it in the back or the freezer, give it to friends, just get rid of it.