I hate the scales :/

Options
I have finally reached a point where I am totally serious about weightloss. I have been doing it for two weeks, not going over calories, exercising EVERYDAY for the last ten days. I actuallt have been running for the first time in my life. I am doing C25K.

Now I haven't lost any weight.... it's so frustrating! I feel like I am really giving it a go and doing it properly but I am so discouraged by those stupid numbers not going down when I weigh myself. Is this normal?

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Keep on keepin on
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Absolutely 100% normal!

Firstly, I always say to take pics and measurements. The way you lose weight, how quickly and from where, will vary dramatically from person to person. The scale is probably the least accurate form of measurement!

As long as you are confident you are doing the right things (eating at a moderate deficit and exercising regularly), don't focus too much on the results yet. I know how hard this can be, but if it's going to upset you just follow the process for a few weeks and trust me, the results WILL come!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rayman, measurements are a must! It can be slow at first, but you will start seeing results soon enough. I will say, though, that you probably need to take a day of rest from exercising. One, so you don't get burnt out. Two, so you don't injure yourself. Three, so your body can repair itself. Exercising every day is a great commitment, but you do need to take a day off once a week at the very least. Your body will thank you for it.
  • rubix08
    rubix08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think it took me about a month or so before I really started to see the weight begin to drop off, maybe a bit more even and that is one of the hardest times. You put in so much work and don't see any results, but the results will come! Just keep at it and don't forget to take a rest day here and there. I used to walk at the beginning every single day and felt guilty if I didn't but then once every two weeks or so I would skip and just keep my calorie count low and the next day would have lost. Now I actively take one day a week off from any workout just to let my body rest and heal and I just make sure to not eat over my daily goal. Stick with it, you'll start seeing results eventually.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    If doing a lot of exercising suddenly when not done it before can make your body hold on to water, thus making the scale go the wrong way. I know that if I do really hard core workouts and lots of them the water will happen because it helps protect the muscles. It'll pass. You do need to allow your body a rest day .
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Keep it up. I refuse to weight myself any more. Take pics. and Measure Measure Measure(tape measure)...I haven't lost much but I have lost 6 inches and my before pics already look totally different.x.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Keep it up. I refuse to weight myself any more. Take pics. and Measure Measure Measure(tape measure)...I haven't lost much but I have lost 6 inches and my before pics already look totally different.x.
    [/quot

Totally agree with the above, although the scales say different, the tape measure is the thing to go by in terms of seeing results. Sometimes when I wasn't losing the tape said otherwise :smile:
  • chanson104
    Options
    After losing quite a bit of weight, I have gained a few pounds. Interestingly enough, my clothes are getting bigger. Hmmmmm. The scales lie!!!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    **** the scale. Get a measuring tape.
  • RiotxRiot
    Options
    When I started trying to eat healthier and exercise more, I actually gained a 3 or 4 pounds and most of my girlfriends reported the same thing. Gaining between 1 and 4 pounds at the very beginning of their lifestyle change. I have no idea why this is but if you keep at it, the weight will start to come off! Ironically, the only person I know who is trying to put on weight lost 5 pounds when he started trying to bulk up. :laugh: Maybe wait until the end of the first month to weigh yourself again and right now just focus on your eating and working out. You can do it!
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I use youw8 scales.
    They measure my weight/fat & give a fair BMI (hahahahaha - sry, I find BMI funny, it's daft)

This means that I can measure my weight and composition. This was very important for me when I decided to drop 12kgs to make sure I didn't lose any muscle mass on the "weigh" (do ya like what I did there?) down!

It's you're really checking for gains/loss, then you need the tape measure out once every 6 weeks to measure neck/arms/legs etc...

Although I weigh myself twice a day (morning/evening), this is for me to take an average over the month & analyse my training. It takes me approximately 10 days for a muscular change to occur. So I can line up what I did successfully (food/exercise) against what I wanted to achieve :)
  • nascarted10
    nascarted10 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I so agree with taking measurements. Honestly I did not and I regret it now. I am stuck at a weight loss yet I keep taking up a Notch on the belt. So I am happy yet discouraged. It is a strange emotion. People tell me it is because I am working out and muscle weights more that fat. I agree, but still the feeling of stepping on the scale and not seeing any movement yet staying under your calories is hard to take.