Running downhill pain

Options
For some reason last night I had a pretty bad build up of lactic acid in my lower shin areas whenever I hit a downhill stretch. Any ideas why this could be? I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, I'm fairly new to running really, this is my first month.

Many thanks,

Paul

Replies

• madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i think you answered your own question. you are new to this. Give it more time and you should get used to it.
  • SteveT59
    SteveT59 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's lactic acid? Couldn't be shin splints could it?
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints to me.
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's probably shin splints, not lactic acid. I had the same problem too when I started running. It's a bit better now but I still have to watch how I run and how much.

Also, running downhill is the worst thing you can do when it comes to shin splints/knee pain. I love running downhill but I've been trying to avoid it. Not successfully though...

Also, you say you're new to running - are you using C25K? Running is hard on the body for beginners, it's best to start slowly and slowly build up.
  • tlgwinn
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints. It happened because you've tackeled something new.. make sure u stretch twice a day especially calf and the front of the leg, and wear really good running shoes. Ice and ibuprophen should help u recoup. Good luck!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I immediately thought shin splints. Running downhill is a pain for that.
  • Heavyd2g
    Heavyd2g Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, sounds like it could be shin splints. I have no idea what that is but it sounds right, lol.

All I know, is it's a burning feeling as if your muscle is about to cramp up.

Hopefully time will help !
  • StandardFiend
    StandardFiend Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to get the WORST shin splints when running downhill. Unfortunately it's unavoidable in my neighbor hood (You have to run up a hill and you have to run down a hill, the only choice you get is which incline you'd like). Changing my form has helped with that a lot though. Hills can cause you to land on your heels which is, at least for me, where a lot of shin splint pain comes from. Try taking the hill slower and landing on the balls of your feet instead? That's what I do and it keeps the pain from getting too bad (I'm still a beginner, so there is STILL pain).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I agree about shin splints. Lactic acid is not what causes muscle soreness and you wouldn't just have muscle soreness running downhill.
  • fogeyman
    Options
    When you run downhill you naturally want to extend your stride. This causes you to land on your heel, leading to stress on the lower leg and shin splints. Try keep your stride short on the downhills and land on the midfoot.
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    For some reason last night I had a pretty bad build up of lactic acid in my lower shin areas whenever I hit a downhill stretch. Any ideas why this could be? I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, I'm fairly new to running really, this is my first month.

Many thanks,

Paul

Well like everyone else I would say shin splints as well, there are 2 things you can do for this.

1. stretch by sitting on your feet like kneeling down I would do this on a carpet with your feet both flexed and relaxed so your toes are pointed out ( I am really bad at explaining this sorry hopefully you understand what i am talking about)

2. if you have a track or even your drive way run backwards but dont fall that is why I say a track you dont have to worry about cars people or other stuff that you could trip over

sorry for all my spelling errors I am sure there are some
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I like how many times "shin splints" was said in this thread.

Downhill is my killer too. I rarely get any form of shin splints anymore, but if I do, it from downhill running.

What I learned:
    Running downhill causes me to heel strike. And I try to slow down. Those two actions cause more stress.

Less heel to toe drop is good for me. Meaning, a running shoe that's made for more of a mid foot strike instead of heel striking.
    This way my form is similar to flat ground running.

And practice.
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Shin splints. Downhill uses different mechanics. Stretch them by placing a tea towel on the floor and trying to roll it towards you only using your toes. Also, ICE ICE ICE after running. Massaging them out helps a lot too - it's painful but works.

There are insoles that you can buy to help absorb the shock (Happy Feet, Spenco Gel). They work really well and cost (in Canada) about $25.