Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

THAT URGE....

Jillibeeen
Jillibeeen Posts: 2
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Here it is again. That unnaturally strong urge for foods which are SWEET! Although I've been able to shake my animal flesh habit, my desire for that melt-in-your-mouth sweetness has been getting the best of me. Over the past month, I have told myself that I will allow myself to eat bite sized dark chocolate squares (purchased @ costco), but before I can even say "PIECE OF CAKE", I have 12 EMPTY chocolate wrappers in front of me. It all happens beneath my conscious awarness!! Yikes! *sigh* Well, Yikes is right, folks. :ohwell:

However, I DO KNOW that I have the capabilities to CONTROL this monstrous sweet tooth within me. I've witnessed with my own two eyes, people achieving this success. Are they just more motivated than me? More confident than me? Why is it that my mind seems to work against me?

Starting tomorrow, I will start reciting morning affirmations. I know I can do this well, and kick my habit once and for all. I will not eliminate sweets for life. I just want to get to the point where my addiction is gone, and the sweets don't control my urges. I'm not a coffee drinker, however I'll have a cup off premium coffee every other month or so. I will not let sweets get the better of half of me! I CAN DO THIS!!! :heart:

Replies

• yayam28
    yayam28 Posts: 14 Member
    I can tell you for me, that temptation is HUGE....I can live without chips but chocolate is my downfall. I have found that the more I exercise the less I NEED chocolate, and I can deal with wanting it as long as the need isn't overwhelming. I also make sure that I set aside some calories at the end of each day for a few sweet treats. As long as I know I can have some, it takes the edge off.
  • I have the same problem!!

I think the solution (for me anyway) Is complete detox for a while...NO SWEETS IN THE HOUSE!! Or just enough that the kids eat them all up before I can say "I want some!"

I also drink sweet tea to calm the urge and it's worlking so far...

Good luck!

JF
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    I can tell you for me, that temptation is HUGE....I can live without chips but chocolate is my downfall. I have found that the more I exercise the less I NEED chocolate, and I can deal with wanting it as long as the need isn't overwhelming. I also make sure that I set aside some calories at the end of each day for a few sweet treats. As long as I know I can have some, it takes the edge off.

Exactly. I kinda think the more exercise is psychologically telling me I don't need sweets. I feel so accomplished after a good workout that I tell myself I don't need that piece of candy. However, I too, will allow some extra calorie room for a serving of slow churned ice cream. It's 120 calories for 1/2 cup and I usually find that I can't even finish that 1/2 cup...it's just TOO SWEET!!!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Splurge on a pack of gum! It will help curb and calm the sweet tooth just enough for will power to smash it. I've been saying this a lot today, it seems, but sweet naughty goodies will never stop calling our names, we just learn to stop listening.
  • I just saw a greath idea on an other post....go brush you're teeth! that should take care of the craving!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I just saw a greath idea on an other post....go brush you're teeth! that should take care of the craving!

Hey,

I just had a GREAT idea, I will invent chocolate flavored toothpaste and become rich!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I just saw a greath idea on an other post....go brush you're teeth! that should take care of the craving!

Hey,

I just had a GREAT idea, I will invent chocolate flavored toothpaste and become rich!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You might be too late.

chocolate_toothpaste.jpg
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    It figures that someone else beat me to this "brilliant" idea!!!:grumble: Chocolate is a powerful motivator!!!:love::love: :heart: :noway:
  • I started some morning affirmations. I can say that it hasn't helped much SO FAR. But I'll keep on pushing... I did buy a pack of gum, but when presented the fork in the road, I did NOT take the road less traveled (gum)...The road with the street sign "SWEETS" is just as appealing as the sign that says "WELCOME TO LAS VEGAS" darn it!!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    What about those new 60 calorie puddings?! I think they look so good!

Just ABSOLUTELY limit yourself to one, eat it slowly and savor the taste.

You can kick this habit! :flowerforyou:
  • A few ways to curb this sweet training: NEVER eat chocolate alone. I have found that I can easily eat one piece of chocolate after lunch with my coworkers watching. That same bag of chocolate would probably be gone if I ate a piece alone at home!

Also, if you are dying for something sweet, chew sugarless gum, drink some herbal/fruit hot tea with a hint of Splenda added, or drink part of a diet soda. They can all take the edge off that insatiable need for sweets!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Splurge on a pack of gum! It will help curb and calm the sweet tooth just enough for will power to smash it. I've been saying this a lot today, it seems, but sweet naughty goodies will never stop calling our names, we just learn to stop listening.

That's what I was gonna suggest. A clean mouth will cut those cravings. If you don't like gum then go brush your teeth when the sweet cravings hit. :smile:
  • sallyah13
    sallyah13 Posts: 44 Member
    After the holidays I did have to spend a week in chocolate sweet detox. I didn't allow any for about a week and then I was ok with having a piece now and then. My coworkers and I stash a couple bags of bite size chocolate in the cupboard in the lounge and each have one after our lunch every day at work. It seems to help us all get a chocolate fix, it also helps that the lounge for the most part is out of the way for us and none of us go there the rest of the day except maybe for a bathroom break. I tried to keep some at my desk, but I have no control when it isn't a flight of stairs away!
This discussion has been closed.