Protein Bars.. which one to get?!

Options
I think I should start eating protein bars because my protein intake is not as high as I want it to be so which one would you guys recommend?

(low in carbs & sugar please!)

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I like the maxi muscle ones, not sure about Carbs or sugar but I know they are about 80 cals :smile:
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Its very hard to find a bar that is high protein and low carb. Pure Protein make a Carb Conscious protein bar and it still has 25g of carbs. Most of them are going to have 40g+ unless you get one that is low cal and only has a few grams of protein. Even a cliff bar that only has 10g of protein has 40g of carbs. There are recipes though to make your own which is what Im considering doing because I dont want the added carbs or all the other junk thats in the store bought bars.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There are other ways of getting enough protein, though. Can't see your diary so I don't know how much protein you are aiming for, nor what sort of things you are currently eating.

But I've just had 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seed butter on my toast, for 160 cals, 10g protein and 4 g carbs,
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I prefer protein powder/shakes to protein bars. Most of the protein bars on the market are little more than candy bars with some protein added to them. There are plenty of protein powders which are higher in protein and much lower in carbs and sugar than bars.
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    None! Eat real.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Just make a protein shake! If you hate the taste of just the shake then mix in some strawberries or other fruits. It's natural sugars so you don't have to stress about anything artificial.

One of my favorite recipes is having matcha green tea powder, vanilla isolates, almond milk, and ice.
  • gtdixon
    gtdixon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I swear by Atkins shakes and bars. Available at most supermarkets and Wal Mart. Low carb, low sugar, and the "meal replacement" bars are pretty good in protein. Also like GNC Protein supplement powder for shakes. I have a lap band and can't eat enough "real" food to get adequate protein. Also, Kashi Go Lean cereal has 13 grams protein per cup. Choose wisely. :smile:
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I like the Pure Protein and the Pure Protein Revolution.... both very good tasting. and at least 20 g protein each
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are essentially candy bars with a different label. Drastically more carbs than protein in each one. I read an article once where a trainer commented that rather than eat the average protein bar, you could eat a chicken breast AND a snickers bar, have better candy AND better protein, and still have less total calories.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Bio Synergy - Caramel Skinny Bar, 32 g Bar - 97kcals - 9g carbs - 2g fat - 10g Protein - 7g Fibre

Otherwise I usually have a normal one but only half. There is one called Pure Protein I think. It's vanilla and honeycombe flavor and I usually have half of one. They are ok I can't remember whats in it though lol

EDIT: I found it! it was actually MyProtein (myprotein.com)
    Myprotein - High Pro Bar - Vanilla and Honeycombe, 1 Bar 230kcals - 20g carbs - 4g fat - 29g Protein 13g Fibre
    With this as the calories are quite high I tend to just have half which comes to just 10g carbs with 14.5g Protein so its quite good.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    None! Eat real.

I'm sure we should drink water instead of beer and only eat good wholesome real food

I can't eat perfectly though so chose protein bars for my chcolate fix - Weider banana 32% Protein bars are my favourite
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own? That way you can control what's in there and make it what you want. There are lots of resources on the web for this, but here's one I found particularly helpful:

http://www.proteinpow.com/search/label/Protein Bars
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have tried A LOT of protein bars...and I mean A LOT.

The only ones I thoroughly enjoy are the ISS Oh Yeah! protein bars. They are high protein (between 26-28g depending on which flavor) and relatively low carb (26-30g depending on flavor), and about 10g of sugar. The vanilla toffee fudge is the best flavor ever!

The best thing is that they actually DO fill you up. The other ones that tend to run 10-15g of protein leave me hungry for more and I end up blowing my calories. They are rather high calorie, but if used as a meal replacement, shouldn't hurt your day at all.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Protein bars are essentially candy bars with a different label. Drastically more carbs than protein in each one. I read an article once where a trainer commented that rather than eat the average protein bar, you could eat a chicken breast AND a snickers bar, have better candy AND better protein, and still have less total calories.

That's simply not true

I have a spreadsheet with all my favourite candy and protein bars on it

Maximuscle ProMax bars - 22gms protein (200 calories) 8 calories per gram of protein
    Dairy milk bar - 7 gms protein (525 calories) 70 calories per gram of protein
    Similar stats for all protein bars and all candy bars

Portion of chicken has 52 gms of protein (231 calories) so 4 calories per gram of protein
    Chicken twice as much protein as protein bars for same calories

I eat lots of great protein rich chciken and snack on protein bars
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I love Zone Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough :)
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars. No sugar or artifical sweeteners, gluten free. 170 calories, 20g of protien. Not candy bar like at all.
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    Quest Bars. No sugar or artifical sweeteners, gluten free. 170 calories, 20g of protien. Not candy bar like at all.

This! They are amazing. They are the lowest sugar (0!!!) lowest carb (I believe 4g) out there that I have found. And the peanut butter chocolate ones taste great!!

They are pricey, however!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Biggipooh
    Options
    I like the Doctor's CarbRite Diet Chocolate Peanut Butter. 22 g Protein, 20 g Carb, 0 g Sugar and you can't taste the sugar alcohols.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Think Thin bars. 20 grams of protein, 24 g carb, 6 g fat, 0 g sugar, 240 calories. I eat them for breakfast and they keep me full. They are cheaper on Amazon than at my local store.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    I read an article once where a trainer commented that rather than eat the average protein bar, you could eat a chicken breast AND a snickers bar, have better candy AND better protein, and still have less total calories.

Let's look at the maths in that for a minute

125g Chicken breast = 38g protein and 170 calories
    Snickers bar = 4g protein and 296 calories
    Total = 42g protein and 466 calories

Pro Bar 30 = 34g protein and 272 calories

1 and a half Protein bars = 51g protein and 408 calories

That article you read had an agenda and you bought into it