stuck

Options
I lost 8 lbs. last week and was feeling good and motivted...did my weigh in last night....lost 0 lbs. this week it is only my 2nd week, I have about 60lbs. to lose....any suggestions??

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    You lost 8 lbs in a week? Yikes! That seems rather fast, and might be why you didn't lose anything this week. You're only two weeks in, these things take time.
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Better than a gain right?
    Stick with it. My pattern recently has been week 1 : (weight) Week 2 : (weight + half a pound) Week 3 : 2-3lbs off.
    And then it happens again.
    We are all different, its very early days and if you stick with the logging + exercise you will get results
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of weight to lose in a short period of time. Personally I'd be glad just to KEEP it off. Usually if I have a big loss like that, I'll creep back up a few pounds and then slowly work it off again.

Your body has to adjust to every pound you lose. Let yourself adjust to the new weight and you'll eventually start dropping again. Just give it time and don't give up!

Congrats on your progress so far!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you just started, you're not stuck. give it time. 8pounds is good, but not typical, so I'll give you a cliche answer that your body is trying to balance things out. my weight-loss went like this when i started:

lose 3

lose 1

gain 2

lose 3

lose 7

-something like that, and I actually did get stuck but not till months later, not only a week
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Don't give up after 2 weeks! You lost alot of weight the first week(was probably water weight). It was probably just balancing out. You could probably be losing inches too. The scale isn't always the thing to go by. Are your clothes fitting better?
    You don't want to lose to fast!
  • lilteepot
    Options
    A: Looks like you just started, which means your 8 lbs was probably water weight. Give it a month. Your body needs to adjust to the changes.

B: Measure yourself in inches/cm, not just pounds. Even when the scale doesn't reflect the loss, the measuring tape will.

C: Keep an eye on your sodium intake. (I'm saying this one more for me. If there's anything that can throw the scale off, it's an increased sodium intake which can make you retain water.

D: Learn about tdee and Basal numbers. The more you understand about your body, the better this will work.

E: Patience, for goodness sakes. You didn't get unhealthy in 2 weeks. You're going to get healthy in 2 two weeks. It just doesn't work like that.

Keep at it.
  • mayomanosu
    mayomanosu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. Sometimes the first week or so the weight flys off due to shock of routine and then it slows down cause your body gets used to the routine. I have lost 45 pounds in the last year but am pushing for more. I started with just light cardio for few months, then added some strength/toning with weights, then added more intense cardio with occasional 5k races thrown in there, and now i am throwing in sports such as soccer and basketball.

Each time I changes is because I hit some sort of threshold. Also, make sure you stick to whatever meal plan works best for you. Dont do some fad diet that will just throw weight back on when you have met your goal. Losing weight without supplements and with hard work and eating right is hard but worth it.
  • cynops
    cynops Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've read from some thread on MFP that weight loss does not happen instantaneously, it takes a couple of weeks before the fat starts melting off you. You lose the water weight during the first week(s).

If you've ever followed the Biggest Loser, you might've noticed that in the week 2 weigh-ins usually go really badly for the contestants. I guess this sort of supports the theory I stated above... but I'm no professional so I might just as well be wrong.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is: don't get discouraged yet!! Try to keep on doing what you've been doing for one more week and if you still get no results, check your eating/exercise routine :)
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    A: Looks like you just started, which means your 8 lbs was probably water weight. Give it a month. Your body needs to adjust to the changes.

^ This. Your first week's lost will be your easiest !
  • mamagm
    Options
    Thanks eveyone...I am still at it and have stared a new exercise this week...fingers crossed!! lol
  • jal16jal
    Options
    Wow 8 pounds is awesome in just 1 week. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will reach your goal :) Your body just needs time to adjust to this change.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I lost 8 lbs. last week and was feeling good and motivted...did my weigh in last night....lost 0 lbs. this week it is only my 2nd week, I have about 60lbs. to lose....any suggestions??

Red flag. Not that you didn't lose weight last week, it's that you are in a hurry to lose 60 pounds. It took me 27 weeks to lose 40. It should take you at least 40 weeks to lose 60. 1 1/2 pounds a week is sustainable. 8 pounds a week is not.