Half-Marathon Training

Options
Ok - so I might be a little crazy, but I'm thinking about training for a half-marathon next September (so I have a year). Any ideas/tips on how to get started?

Replies

• Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

If you are not already a runner you may want to start with the Couch to 5K training plan. If you are already a runner the above link is a good starting place for a training plan. Either way it won't take you a year to be able to run a half marathon. I promise.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A year should give you plenty of time to prepare.

At the risk of stating the obvious the best way to get started is to (assuming you have a decent pair of runners already - if not go to a running specialty store to get fitted) is to lace up your runners and get out the door.

Depending on your current level of fitness you may start with walking alone or walking and brief (slow) running intervals (when I stared it was 10 min walking, 1 min "running"*). As your fitness improves add time to your running intervals and shorten the walking breaks until you can run 10 minutes with a 1 minute walk break. When you can comfortably do that start adding time to your running intervals.

1) Progress at a conservative rate. Most running injuries are the result of trying to do too much, too soon too fast.

2) Run consistently - 3 or 4 times per week (on alternating days) Focus on endurance rather than speed.

3) Cross train - strength, core, bicycling, swimming will all help you improve your overall fitness. Strength and core will both make you a better, more injury resistant runner.

4) Be patient with yourself, listen to your body. Dynamic stretching / warm up before a run and static stretching / cool down after a run.

5) Consider entering some shorter distance races (5K & 10K) between now and your target half marathon.

6) Have fun!

* I was so slow to start with most people would have probably called it red-faced, sweaty shuffling :laugh:
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You can do it. A year is plenty of time.
    Just take Brian's advice and run.
  • TosaDana
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'm doing my first 5K in November - so excited for that. I volunteered at a half-marathon over the weekend and got inspired. I really want to do it!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    A year should give you plenty of time to prepare.

At the risk of stating the obvious the best way to get started is to (assuming you have a decent pair of runners already - if not go to a running specialty store to get fitted) is to lace up your runners and get out the door.

Depending on your current level of fitness you may start with walking alone or walking and brief (slow) running intervals (when I stared it was 10 min walking, 1 min "running"*). As your fitness improves add time to your running intervals and shorten the walking breaks until you can run 10 minutes with a 1 minute walk break. When you can comfortably do that start adding time to your running intervals.

1) Progress at a conservative rate. Most running injuries are the result of trying to do too much, too soon too fast.

2) Run consistently - 3 or 4 times per week (on alternating days) Focus on endurance rather than speed.

3) Cross train - strength, core, bicycling, swimming will all help you improve your overall fitness. Strength and core will both make you a better, more injury resistant runner.

4) Be patient with yourself, listen to your body. Dynamic stretching / warm up before a run and static stretching / cool down after a run.

5) Consider entering some shorter distance races (5K & 10K) between now and your target half marathon.

6) Have fun!

* I was so slow to start with most people would have probably called it red-faced, sweaty shuffling :laugh:

This!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I went from an absolute non-runner to 1:54 half marathon in 9 months. You have plenty of time. Start off slow and build up.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to walk or run/walk one in February. Exercise-induced asthma makes me not much of a runner, but going to see what I can handle.
  • TosaDana
    Options
    @ RV - That's amazing!!
  • 06fusion4us
    Options
    The Shamrock is in March 2013. I am planning to do the half. I have not run more than a mile in at least 3 years. The last run I did was a 5k 3 years ago.