Tired of this being so hard...

Options
I'm very thankful for the weight I have lost since the end of May but over the last month I'm finding this a lot more difficult to stick to it. I'll have one cheat meal on a weekend and it will blow my weight loss for the week. It's very frustrating to read people posting that you need to eat 3000 over to gain a pound. Obviously they have never had my body as I gain 2 lbs from being 500 over. I guess I need to do some tweeking again. I've had more pasta than usual lately so maybe that's the issue. It's just so difficult to stick to this and I'm just tired :sad:

Replies

• bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    tell me about it! :grumble:
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You and me both. Sorry I don't have any words of wisdom but just wanted to let you know that you are not on your own xxx
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Good to know I'm not alone. If I see a person posting about the amt. of calories needed to gain a lb again, I'm going to track them down and let them suffer the wrath of a hungry person!
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you want to lose fat or lose water. You have to eat 3500 calories OVER maintenance to gain a pound of fat. Which most people can't do in one meal.

But you can gain water weight and food weight from over eating. Especially if you eat more carbohydrates than normal. Your body will bind water molecules with glycogen and store that in your muscles, when that is full that extra will spill over into your adipose tissue(fat under the skin). Normally if you get back on track it'll eventually go away again. I've gained 5 lbs + over night from a cheat.

Don't get discouraged.
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I know what you're talking about...I go off my plan just a little on the weekends, and by Monday I'm up 2 pounds! It takes me most of the week to get that off, so I'm lucky to average a 1 pound loss every week. When I look at my Fitbit stats, it looks like I should be losing at least 2 pounds every week!

It looks like you've done great...36 pounds since May! When I feel like giving up, which I often do, I try on some of my nice, smaller clothes and try to remember why I'm doing this. It's really hard, and it's not fair that some of us have to struggle so much. But bottom line is it feels really good to be thinner!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Sorry but those other people are right... and you are not a special snowflake no matter how much you believe you are.

It does take 3500 calories over maintenance as another poster mentioned to gain a pound of fat.. it also takes that much to lose a pound of fat. So unless you are eating 500 over for 7 days straight, then you did not really gain two pounds.

My suggestion, watch your sodium intake if you don't already.. that is generally the cause of rapid weight gain/loss due to water retention. If you know that you are going to have a high sodium day, then drink more water to help balance it out.
  • LivingInPuglia
    LivingInPuglia Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you want to lose fat or lose water. You have to eat 3500 calories OVER maintenance to gain a pound of fat. Which most people can't do in one meal.

But you can gain water weight and food weight from over eating. Especially if you eat more carbohydrates than normal. Your body will bind water molecules with glycogen and store that in your muscles, when that is full that extra will spill over into your adipose tissue(fat under the skin). Normally if you get back on track it'll eventually go away again. I've gained 5 lbs + over night from a cheat.

Don't get discouraged.

That is good to know and very encouraging
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yes i was going to say the same, your 'cheat' meal is probably high in sodium and you'll store water. I'm always way heavier the day after something salty but it goes back down again after a couple of days. Good luck.
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You know, it is not a temporary change. It's continuous trial and error and everytime I think of giving up, I remind myself that would be giving up on me and that keeps me going. Don't give up on yourself just keep trying.
  • dalissalee
    dalissalee Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm very thankful for the weight I have lost since the end of May but over the last month I'm finding this a lot more difficult to stick to it. I'll have one cheat meal on a weekend and it will blow my weight loss for the week. It's very frustrating to read people posting that you need to eat 3000 over to gain a pound. Obviously they have never had my body as I gain 2 lbs from being 500 over. I guess I need to do some tweeking again. I've had more pasta than usual lately so maybe that's the issue. It's just so difficult to stick to this and I'm just tired :sad:

Have you been drinking your water? Whenever I eat a meal out, I make sure to drink more water than usual. Drinking the extra water will make what looks like a gain come off much quicker because you truly didn't eat 3500 extra calories. Also, when I plateau, which I have been doing for weeks, I try to work out more. I am finding the Couch to 5K program has helped in this regard and I've taken off a lot more inches by doing it.

Don't lose hope... just hang in there. We all have low days.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    you are not a special snowflake no matter how much you believe you are.

This cracked me up. Anyhoo, I agree with the other posters. You are likely retaining water from the overeating, most likely from the sodium. Drink extra water to flush out the excess and weigh again in a few days. I bet the scale will go down. :)
  • donnasjohnson
    donnasjohnson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! You are doing awesome! I started in April and have lost 31 pounds, and I know how hard that's been. I totally understand about the whole "ate 500 calories and are up 2 pounds" thing. My body reacts the same way, in fact I believe most people's do. That's why people quit, because the numbers lie. You can't eat 500 calories over and gain fat, but you can retain sodium in your cells, which causes water retention, which causes the scales to show higher immediately. I just keep telling myself, it's not fat, it's my body processing my food. Exercise does the same thing to me, if I am sore from starting something new, I will show higher on the scale for at least two or three days. But again, it's not fat, it's just the cells in my body adjusting. Mentally I do better when I think of my cells holding water instead of focusing on my stomach or my neck or flabby arms. In my mind, those areas are only getting better, slimming down, and toning up. Hope you have a good day today, and know lots of people are right there for you!
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    hang in there and keep working hard. Lots of people will say different things but a lot is generalized. Everyone is unique and so are the ways in which they achieve results. Those results will happen, but its definitely not easy by any means. If somebody gained a lot of weight that isn't easy either, just doesn't seem hard at the time but it is. It gets confusing at times but really, fitness and nutrition is the key. Pay close attention to details as far as eating and working out and vary them both from time to time. As I said, its hard..very hard but if you want it bad enough it becomes a pleasant addiction
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion - try weighing yourself no more than once a week, and ideally only every 10-14 days. You'll see bigger losses, which will be encouraging and motivating, and normal bodily fluctuations are less likely to make you think you've gained weight, when really your body is just holding on to water. If the weekend days are when you 'cheat', maybe make first thing Friday or Saturday morning your weigh-in time, rather than weighing on a Monday morning after a high-sodium meal or two (I'm guessing) and panicking because you've 'gained' 2lbs of water retention.
  • Chris_shimmin
    Chris_shimmin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've got an idea. Stop having your cheat meal. :P
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Wow learned something new here.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    In my experience, when I was eating 1200 calories and then would go over on Saturday or Sunday, all my progress would seemingly be undone. It was as if my body was freaking out from having eaten so little during the week, so it would hold on to whatever extra it got. I gradually raised my calories from 1400 to 1700 and as long as I am honest about logging and my calorie burns, I steadily lose without the wild fluctuations. My official 'weigh in' day is Friday since it is as far away from the weekend as possible, where the splurges usually occur.

Sodium also has a lot to do with it. I was 148lbs on Sunday and am 152lbs today. I didn't eat 14,000 calories over maintenance, I'm just holding a lot of water from the salty, salty pizza indulgence.
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters above...it depends on what is in your cheat meal (s). You're not the only one that gains a few pounds by one or two days of bad eating. I always find that getting right back on track with eating healthy, exercising and drinking LOTS of water those pounds come off fairly quickly. Don't give up! There is definitely a learning curve to being successful with your weight loss and healthy lifestyle. A big part of it is learning how your body responds to what you eat and certain exercises. Be patient and stay encouraged :)
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are sometimes eating meals that high in sodium and when it is high in sodium you have more water retention. So it is to be expected that's why after a cheat day don't look at the scale just keep working it off normal.
  • jehuster
    Options

This is something that has puzzled me from the day a started this site almost 2 monts ago....If you are trying to lose weight and change your eating habits and life style why in the world would you want to have a cheat day???? Purposely cheating is not a concept that I believe fits in to a weight loss program. If you happen to go over a little one day that is another thing but it seems to me that when a person begins to incorporate the concept of purposely cheating on the weekend or any day you set yourself up for the strong possibility of not being successful in keeping the weight off over the long haul. Just my opinion take it for what its worth.
    :wink: