Zumba

Options
I can't find calorie expenditures on this site? Anybody have any idea how many calories burned in an hour of Zumba?

Replies

• free2live72003
    Options
    Depends on your weight and the intensity at which you do zumba.

Best way to tell is by wearing a heart monitor.

Don't believe people who say you burn 1,000 cal. ---that is very hard (nearly impossible for most to do).

I am 160 lbs and do a fairly intense (for me) workout and burn about 500 cal/ hr.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I use my hear rate monitor as well and I'm 295 and I burn about 500-600 per hour doing lower intensity zumba.
  • MorissaW
    MorissaW Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6, 31 years old and weigh 162. I go hard at Zumba and burn between 500-700 calories in an hour.
    I wear a Polor FT40.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    too many variables (gender, age, weight, intensity, etc) for MFP to give you a calorie burn.

I wear a heart monitor to my zumba classes. In my 60 minutes low-intensity zumba I burn around 340-375 calories. In my 60 minute higher internsity class I burn around 500-600 depending on the instructor (2 of them switch off every week).

Im 30, 5' tall and weigh 177
  • boophil
    boophil Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    too many variables (gender, age, weight, intensity, etc) for MFP to give you a calorie burn.

I wear a heart monitor to my zumba classes. In my 60 minutes low-intensity zumba I burn around 340-375 calories. In my 60 minute higher internsity class I burn around 500-600 depending on the instructor (2 of them switch off every week).

Im 30, 5' tall and weigh 177

^^^
    This! Too many variables, indeed. Last Sunday I did a 48 minute low-intensity Zumba workout on my Kinect and burned 464 calories (via my Polar FT7 heart rate monitor). Wearing a heart rate monitor will give you your most accurate calorie burn!

BTW - I'm 40, 5'4" tall & weigh 183 lbs.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I take Zumba at a workout class- I burn about 500. When I do the DVD's it is almost 650. Maybe because I have more room and really kick it up a notch.
  • livitup85
    livitup85 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    At my Goodlife there is a list of average calories burned in their classes. Zumba says 520 cals.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I actually got a Zumba from WI I have never used it. I also have the WI Yoga board I didn't use that too much either. I will get my butt going on that tommorow am. I am busy today to try it out. Has anybody had results with them
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It really depends...after going to live classes (60 minutes) I went to the Zumba calculator you can find online where you enter your weight, etc. and took the average calories burned between high intensity (600+) and medium intensity (575ish) and just logged 600 for every class. I just got my HRM last week and used it for my first live class and burned 771...and it was a different instructor so he was a slower pace than my normal instructor...can't wait to see how many calories I burn this week. My friend that I go with also wears a HRM and burns way more than me (800 - 1,000+). I would really suggest getting a HRM so you know exactly, but I think calories burned are different for everyone. Also, on the Zumba wii, I only burned 150 in 20 minutes. It's much lower intensity.

I'm 27, 4' 11 1/2", and weigh 149.5.