Is having too much protein bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lisamar74
    Options
    I always go over on my protein too and I tend not to worry about it but perhaps I need to drink more water as previous people have said.
    Here's a good website to explain how much protein you should have:
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

Actually, having calculated my protein allowance from what this website says, it's less than MFP!!! Not good.
  • jenshoeee
    jenshoeee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am reading Bob Harper's (The biggest loser) "the skinny rules" and he says you should take your current weight and divide it in half, thats the amount of protein in grams you should get a day.

He is a genius. I found this (on pinterest) when I first started eating healthy. It helps me out a lot.

http://pinterest.com/pin/202310208232087141/
  • Cxv89127
    Options
    Calorie surplus alone will cause increases in adipose (fat) tissue. While the body is in calorie deficit body metabolism will revert to a catabolic state. This means tissue wasting, and the body will draw from all tissues for energy, structure maintenance, and defense. Body protien content will reduce, along with fat stores and myriad other items such as vitamin, mineral etc. With a calorie surplus the body switches from catabolic to anabolic. This means body constructing. Body stores will increase, that is fat stores rise, along with muscle protien if exercised. Also, the other myriad components, vitamin, mineral etc. will rise to storage or be subject to elimination. Balance is key to good health. Athletes will aim at anabolic states but just short of large surplus, high enough protien with caution against too much fat storage. It's a problem requiring care and attention.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to eat to much protein. No, the amount you're eating isn't an issue. One good indicator of excess protein is discolored and foul smelling urine. In other words, if it was an issue, you'd know it.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Too much protein can make you fat. so if ur over weight and drinking protein shakes....u might as well be drinking half n half. (a little extreme...)

There are so many wrongs in this statement, I don't even know where to begin.

I LOLed for real while clutching my muscular core, which was developed from months of conscientiously eating a minimum 130g of protein a day, every day.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kylalynch98
    kylalynch98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    True that