I need a heart rate monitor

Options
What kind should I buy? My budget is pretty small right now. And do you go by the calculations on that versus MFP? Thanks!

Replies

• JustMichelleB
    Options
    I've been using a Polar FT4, I think it was $60-70 on AMazon (the bronze colored watch is always discounted on there, not very pretty, but it works). I rely on it and it alone for my calorie burn. I never use MFP (or what the treadmill says I burn - that is off by at least 100cal for me).
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT40 (make sure you buy it on Amazon, way cheaper!). I havent used it yet but I found from asking people on MFP that a HRM is the way to go because the calories burned on MFP can be very inaccurate (especially as you start to lose weight) and that the Polar brand is the most popular. So many people on here use Polar and it seems like it is the most popular/reliable brand.
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the Polar FT4. It's the one I decided to buy, and after some research (online and on here) I found out that it is highly recommended. I always use what the HRM says, rather than what MFP calculations say. The calculations on here are always higher than what they really should be. Good luck!
  • sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I realized that sometimes I work harder doing the same workout and I want to be as accurate as possible.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Whatever brand, look for a HRM with a chest strap. They tend to be more accurate .... measures heart rate all the time. Wrist only HRMs only measure your heart rate from time to time. I really like my Polar. Runs & runs.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    They are all just estimates. If a HRM will help you workout and stick to your plan/goals, then go for it. If not, I think it's an unnecessary piece of equipment.