c25k question

Options
Question for all my C25k ladies and gentleman out there, I am currently in week 3, and my legs are killing me! Not good sore like worked out hard or stood up all day, but it hurts going up and down stairs, etc. in like my joints and knees and makes it almost unbearable to run. I have great shoes that I bought after being evaluated, and I make sure to not push too hard, does anyone have any clue what gives? Should I keep running through the pain? I did yesterday and it only intensified it.

Replies

• Sillykitty88
    Options
    anyone?
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'd take an extra day or two off if your joints are making it "unbearable to run." Can you cross-train, do you have access to an elliptical to keep some of the stamina you've earned?

Running can be a ***** on your body as you're getting used to it, so take it slooooow.

EDIT: whoops, first time I tried to use a "bad word" on the forums, not even thinking. magic stars!
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you're not sore and in real pain, don't put anymore strain on it. Pain is NOT good.
  • victoriaannewilliams
    Options
    I don't know. My legs hurt after running, but it wasn't unbearable. I just kept pushing through. I'm on Week 4 Day 2 today.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Joint pain for a light workout like Couch to 5K your best bet is to call an advice nurse and explain the workout and the symptoms and see what they say for rest or treatment or if you should come in.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Are you taking the rest day in between? My sister decided to not take the rest days and her legs were killing her. I take at least one rest day, if not two and I seem to be ok. I'm at Week 5 day 1 (ugh). If not that, maybe you're running to fast? You're supposed to jog and I've heard others pushing too hard end up in pain & quitting. Take a couple of days off and see how you feel.
  • kandi_apples
    kandi_apples Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you do stretching before and after your workout? I know that stretching AFTER is very important.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Question for all my C25k ladies and gentleman out there, I am currently in week 3, and my legs are killing me! Not good sore like worked out hard or stood up all day, but it hurts going up and down stairs, etc. in like my joints and knees and makes it almost unbearable to run.

Take a week off and let your legs and joints rest. I had a similar issue with my knees the first week of September. It wasn't my actual knee joint but more like the actual tibia that hurt in both legs. I took a week off running and just did some walking for the next week. All is right and well now. The problem hasn't returned.
  • Sillykitty88
    Options
    Thanks! I think I will just take a week off I think and only do the elliptical, but I have 5ks to run at the end of Novemer, I hope this doesn't put me back :/
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you're not sore and in real pain, don't put anymore strain on it. Pain is NOT good.

^^ THIS

Take at least two days off and see how your legs feel.