No Grains...for a short time

Options
Has anyone seen success from not eating grains for a short period of time? I know it's unhealthy to cut them out completely, but I have a vacation 2 weeks away and would like some good abs.

Thoughts? Has anyone done this?

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I did it about 8 years ago...you will lose a lot of weight...but it's just not sustainable for me to never eat oatmeal or bread.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    check the paleo/primal group on here. lots of us go grain free!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've been largely grain-free for months, I wouldn't say cutting them out completely was unhealthy at all.

The rise and dominance of agriculture has been the biggest mistake in the history of human health.

Don't need them, don't miss them.

The fact that I look better without them in my diet is a happily side-effect. ;)
  • yecatsmn
    yecatsmn Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I would die without them.

Some of my good friends did a Standard Process detox that didn't let you have grains for the first some odd days (not too sure), and they lost quite a bit of weight. It eventually allows you to add certain ones back in. I sadly was not able to join them with that detox, didn't have it in me :p
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I cut out grains in January after being diagnoses with Type 2 diabetes and intolerances to wheat, corn and soy. It has certainly NOT been "unhealthy" for me to do so. My lipid panel improved, I've lost weight, my eczema cleared up, my a1C dropped and my blood sugar readings are consistently in the "normal" range.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Lol...it's not unhealthy to cut out grains...you don't need them. In my opinion not eating grains is the only way a low-carb lifestyle is sustainable. I don't really find it that difficult. Dishes are about flavor and texture more than ingredients most of the time. There are endless ways to enjoy your favorite foods without eating grains. I wanted pad thai badly a few weeks ago. Instead of saying "well just this once" I made my own version using yellow squash (quite neutral in flavor), sunflower butter, and macadamia nuts (in place of the peanut products). After adding sriracha and lime juice, I couldn't tell that I didn't order it from Doc Chey's.

I even convinced my 58 year old "I can't go a day without eating 6 oatmeal cookies and a bowl of ice cream" father to give up grains to see if he liked the results. His words, "it's really not bad. I don't miss a thing."

My advice would be to stash your grain containing products so they're not in sight (or donate them if you don't think you'll ever use them again). Also, be sure to have an arsenal of delicious recipes so you're not tempted to go back.
  • CMarshek
    CMarshek Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am not sure I will give them up forever. However, for the short term I think it's sustainable. I appreciate your feedback!!