I'm not making excuses but I need help!

Options
Ok, I know a lot of you are going to say that I'm making excuse but I really do struggle with finding time to work out. I think I have the diet part down though. Here is my typical daily schedule. I have 3 kids btw, ages 6, 12, 13.

Up at 5 am to get ready for work
6am - wake up oldest son
6:30am - pack lunches for self and kids, gather sports uniforms for after school practices
6:55am - out the door
4:30pm - rush home to fix dinner
5:00pm - out the door to drop daughter off at cheerleading
5:30pm - pick oldest son up at soccer
6:00pm - back home to do homework with 6 year old
6:45pm - out the door to pick up daughter at cheer then off to Gymnastics
8Pm - shower the youngest and get him into bed
9pm - back out the door to pick up daughter from gymnastics
9:45pm - finally able to take work clothes and shoes off before passing out

I have no help with running my kids around or doing any of the household chores (dinner, homework, etc) so I'm busy.
I'm not complaining because this is my life that I chose to live so my kids are active and happy.
I'm just asking for some tips on exercises I can do quickly throughout the day. I'm aware that walking is good and I would do this on lunch break but in heels and where I work, that doesn't happen.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Lunch hour?
  • jennm72
    jennm72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I keep a pair of walking shoes at work and change into them and walk over lunch breaks. This really helps me to get in activity on days I wouldn't normally get it. I have a 13 year old as well and before she goes to bed, we lay out what she needs for the next day to help in the mornings. I try to put our lunches together before bed as well, although I don't always get to it. Hope that helps.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Do you have the money to hire a baby-sitter three days a week to drive your kids to their activities?
  • bartman52
    bartman52 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am up at 3:40 every morning to go work out. You do what you have to.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Well, obviously you are plenty active already. With only 14 lbs to lose, I hope you are set at "Lose 1/2 lb per week."

It's going to be slow going to lose that last 14 lbs, no matter if you magically find an extra hour in your day, or not. Just work on eating as cleanly as you can. You get plenty of movement already.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, so I couldn't possibly comprehend how tough it is. But my work sometimes involves 16 hour shifts back to back for days on end, and I just can't find the time to run as much as I want to. It involves events - building stages and sets by day, running and operating shows by night. So I try and make up for it by just watching what I eat.

And at least every third day I'll just force myself onto a treadmill or cross trainer for an hour - even at 3am in the morning. But still, my diet is the priority.

Calorie counting is more important that running, as far as I am concerned. I might be wrong though (there's a first time for everything).
  • trtmom
    trtmom Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Do you have the money to hire a baby-sitter three days a week to drive your kids to their activities?

I WISH!!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Could you try to get a carpool situation going a few days a week with one of the other moms?

You guys could alternate who takes the kiddos to practice and what not.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I say wake up 20-30 minutes earlier and do a Jillian Michael's video or go for a run/walk. 30 Day Shred takes 20 minutes, and people love it. One thing that I also do is hit the gym while my son is at karate one day a week (the other days I go at 5:30am.) I drop him off, get a quick 2-3 mile run in at the gym, then pick him up. I also work second shift part time, so some days I'm not even home until 11 or midnight. And I still get up at 5:30 to go to the gym. You just have to make it a priority. Good luck!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    youre up at 5.
    get up at 4.
  • sandygaylegunn
    sandygaylegunn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used to put on my sneakers 3 times a day: Morning and afternoon coffee breaks, lunch break, total 1 hour. This worked. Wishing you the best!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to log in, type this?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Winner

/thread
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Lunch hour?

Bingo! I will sometimes (need to more often) got for a 20-30 minute jog on my lunch break and still have about half an hour to eat.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    You haven't mentioned your weekends...

Get up at 430 - get 30 mins in. Get another 30 mins in before bed time and at lunch if you can.

I like the carpool idea with the other moms.
  • trtmom
    Options

about 5 mins while I'm sitting at my desk trying not to get caught by my boss! (however if I did, that would give me more time to exercise!)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Could you bear to wake up 30 minutes earlier? A 20 minute run in the mornings could burn 200 extra calories. Or you could do a 20 to 30 minute workout DVD, like 30 day shred. Possibilities are endless. Workouts don't have to be long!

Also, and I'm not saying this to be mean, but I always say when people post these threads: If you had time to get online and post in a forum, you have time to work out.
  • Gela1979
    Options
    Could your 13-year-old help the littlest with his homework? Or could you jump squat burpee the number of answer to all the math equations? Your life is pretty hectic, I don't envy you. Could you carpool with other parents? Are any of these activities within walking distance at a pinch? Could the kids take the bus at all?
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    either wake up earlier, possibly make lunches at nighttime instead of in the morning so you get a little extra time in the morning.
  • trtmom
    Options
    Could you bear to wake up 30 minutes earlier? A 20 minute run in the mornings could burn 200 extra calories. Or you could do a 20 to 30 minute workout DVD, like 30 day shred. Possibilities are endless. Workouts don't have to be long!

Also, and I'm not saying this to be mean, but I always say when people post these threads: If you had time to get online and post in a forum, you have time to work out.

getting up earlier than I do is easier said than done (I take medicine so I can sleep) but I know this could work...If I could get it to.

as for getting online, like I said, I'm doing this at work...trying not to get caught.

Thanks for the advice! appreciated!