Tofu Shirataki Noodles

Options
I heard about Tofu Shirataki Noodles from the Hungry Girl website. I have to admit I was very hesitant because I am not a fan of tofu. But I made teriyaki stir fry with chicken, veggies, and these "noodles" and it was delicious. Tasted like the real thing, but they have only 20 CALORIES PER SERVING!!! I am SUPER excited about this product because I LOVE chinese food, and now I won't have to give it up completely. I highly recommend it...I purchased several bags from Safeway in the Tofu area of the produce section.:happy:

Replies

• sallyah13
    sallyah13 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to try these. I love chinese food too and I have been avoiding making stir-frys that had noodles in them because of how fast they add up, thanks for the suggestion!
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I saw it in Hungry Girl as well but was skeptical. I'm definitely going to have to try them. Thanks for letting us know where/what section to find them in too!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I just read a review on these noodles in one of the running magazines. They are supposed to be healthy and a good substitute for pasta.
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    They really do taste good and they are also full of protein. They are great for soups, pastas, etc.
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    LOVE these noodles!!! i used them to make homemade pad thai and it was delicious!!!!
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Wow I've always wanted to try tofu in my cooking but am not too sure how to prepare it! the consistency seems weird and a little scary but I have eaten it before and it absorbs the other flavors and tastes like whatever you are cooking it with.

:)
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    Wow I've always wanted to try tofu in my cooking but am not too sure how to prepare it! the consistency seems weird and a little scary but I have eaten it before and it absorbs the other flavors and tastes like whatever you are cooking it with.

:)

tofu shirataki noodles are def worth trying, but it's different than using regular tofu. i figured the noodles would be super weird and fall apart easily, but they don't. the texture is a bit different, more like ramen noodles or rice noodles, but, surprisingly to me, they hold together perfectly! one tip...rinse them a few times before you use them!
  • ireneh124
    ireneh124 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try the site Miracle Noodles. I think these are great. I ordered a case and even my husband likes them. Best with stir fry veggies.Here's the low down from their site:

* made of naturally water soluble fiber with no fat, sugar, or starch.
    * contain zero net carbohydrates and zero calories, no gluten -made of a healthy natural fiber called Glucomannan.
    * wheat & gluten free and kosher.
    * Easily absorbs the flavors of any soup, dish, or sauce.
    * are instant and come in a variety of styles
  • sayuri1
    sayuri1 Posts: 111
    Options
    To tell you the truth I loooooooooove eating noodles and pasta but as I started looking at the nutritional facts
    I found that I couldn't eat them as much as before. Then I read about the shirataki noodles (yam noodles) and
    they're not hard to make. Though you do have to rinse them thoroughly to wash off the fishy smell. They taste really
    good and they have 0-5 calories even if you eat alot. I like to add fettuccini sauce on mine and technically the sauce
    and the chicken are the only calories in the meal. =)

You don't need to buy them on a website though, you can go to an asian supermarket
    (I purchase them at Ranch Market) and you'll find them in the fridge section.
    I live in California and it's only $2.50 per bag.

302666.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Does Target or Wal Mart have them
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I really wish I could find these in my area (rural Wisconsin). I have the Hungry Girl cookbook and all the recipes that use these noodles look so yummy!

I've made a few of them and use an equal amount of zucchini cut into thin strips and pan-fried with nonstick spray. That will have to do for now.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    are these noodles vegetarian? Someone mentioned a fishy smell
  • mensane
    mensane Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yes. vegan. they are good. the "fishy" smell is from the water they are packed in (like tofu cubes are packed). the best way to handle them is to pour the package into a strainer and run it under water to rinse thoroughly. then strain the water off of them and use paper towels to pat dry. then they can be added to anything.

they are pre-cooked and only need to be heated up.

a favorite quick meal of mine: steam some sugar snap peas, brocolli, and carrots in one of the ziplock steamer bags. then toss them with the noodles and a bit of teriyaki sauce in a wok for a few minutes. yummy. and so healthy.
  • candylea
    candylea Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I thought you had to order them online so i was hesitant. The next time I go shopping I am going to look for them.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I love these and get them at the Asian market. I have made a tuna noodle casserole that I loved, and I also saw a video on Youtube where a woman made a spaghetti bake which looked delicious. I also got a 'loaf' of the shirataki at the market and am trying to think of what to do with it...ideas?

Only thing is...if you are burning a lot of calories, you can fill up your belly with these but you'll notice that you don't refill your energy so much. Use them wisely young Jedi ;)
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I know this was from a few days ago, but I just found these at Wegmans in the natural section and bought them. Can't wait to try them tomorrow for dinner!
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    I bought these last week. They're not bad, the texture is weird. I unfortunately couldn't really get past the smell. They're not especially nutritious, but you can eat the bag for 40 calories. I found them in the fresh veggie/tofu section of my local grocery store. If you can get past the odor, and the texture, they're not a bad deal when you're hungry! I think my bag cost $1.29...but if I had to make a definite decision, these are totally not for me.