Artifical Sweeteners?

Options
I keep hearing that people should use real sugar vs. artifical because it is so bad for you. I never hear the negative effects it has so I was hoping people could explain it here.

Thanks!

Replies

• 05saleengirl
    Options
    I have read this as well. I know from experience that Splenda makes me hungry as hell. I don't know why. Swerve and Stevia are good sweetners that are natural. I like them better than Splenda and the others.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetners can cause you to feel hungry and crave foods more. They also can be triggers for headaches/migraines. I have experience with both. My doctors told me these things before, but I didn't believe them until I tried it for myself.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    And, of course, aspartame (the thing in sweet N low and diet soda) has been linked to cancer.
  • sophiehart1
    sophiehart1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    After using Splenda for a couple of years I started having a lot of upset stomach. My doctor told me I was overdoing the sweeteners because I put it in everything that I drank plus cereal in the morning. I thought she was crazy but I have recently went to water only to drink after one cup of coffee in the a m and I have no more stomach issues. Imagine my doctor was right. :) I guess it is like anything else if you overdo it, it will show.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    And, of course, aspartame (the thing in sweet N low and diet soda) has been linked to cancer.

The amount required leading to such is IMMENSE (talking buckets and buckets full a day) for a human sized being.

Additionally, cancer risk is for humans from aspartame is lower than in Advil, Tylenol, or other aspirin based drugs even.

Artificial sweeteners can increase your appetite for sweet foods. This is exactly the same as with any sweet item, natural or otherwise. Having 1 packet of aspartame in your coffee instead of 4 packets of sugar will not make you a cancerous, ravenous dog in search of cupcakes and bon-bons despite popular belief.

If you experience upset stomach or other undesirable effects from artificial sweeteners, you most likely have trouble with metabolizing them and should avoid them anyway.

If you are fine with them, enjoy.