I'm not making excuses but I need help!

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Do your kids have activites EVERY weeknight?
    Forgot to add, I assist at the dojo where I train and a lot of the parents will go for walks and such while their kids are taking class. Can you do that during your kid's activities?
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    youre up at 5.
    get up at 4.

This......it sucks balls, but on days that I know I'm going to be working both jobs and running my daughter around, I have to do it because NOT getting the run in is simply not an option for me.

"If it's important, you'll make time. If it's not, you'll make excuses."

(please don't think I'm being mean, I'm not....that's just a quote that REALLY helped me :happy: )

Sure, exercise is important, but not at the expense of sleep. No way. There are many, many studies and info out there on the importance of sleep and I never, ever do anything at the expense of sleep. (I'm a single mom too, but my life is much less hectic since I live in the Arctic.)

I'm getting a used Bowflex for weight training at home. Even a few minutes, here and there, of weight training is highly beneficial. According to a recent study (Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2012 Sep 20) a few minutes of weight training may be more beneficial than 30 minutes of cardio.

Please mom, eat well, get your sleep, look after you and your kids, and then add in what you can. I think you are likely getting lots of exercise just doing your day to day stuff. :flowerforyou:
    Agreed - you need your rest and need to take care of you.

Honestly you are running around like a chicken with it's head cut off . You need some 'you' time.
  • chrise1278
    chrise1278 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Totally my schedule also! I dont always do it, but try to walk while waiting for my kids activities to be over. I have even walked the halls of school when weather is bad! Lunch hours, if you have time. I dont even try at home, being pulled in too many directions already!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    youre up at 5.
    get up at 4.

This......it sucks balls, but on days that I know I'm going to be working both jobs and running my daughter around, I have to do it because NOT getting the run in is simply not an option for me.

(please don't think I'm being mean, I'm not....that's just a quote that REALLY helped me :happy: )

Sure, exercise is important, but not at the expense of sleep. No way. There are many, many studies and info out there on the importance of sleep and I never, ever do anything at the expense of sleep. (I'm a single mom too, but my life is much less hectic since I live in the Arctic.)

I'm getting a used Bowflex for weight training at home. Even a few minutes, here and there, of weight training is highly beneficial. According to a recent study (Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2012 Sep 20) a few minutes of weight training may be more beneficial than 30 minutes of cardio.

Please mom, eat well, get your sleep, look after you and your kids, and then add in what you can. I think you are likely getting lots of exercise just doing your day to day stuff. :flowerforyou:

10p-4a is 6 hours of sleep

That's plenty for me...maybe not for the OP, was just offering an opinion and an expample of what I do.:smile:
  • chynatowngirl44
    chynatowngirl44 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you have an android phone they come packed with personal training apps (many that are free) that provide a intense and quick workout for those with a hectic lifestyle such as yours. Maybe a quick 15-20 minute workout before bed would be just what the body needs. It doesn't have to be lengthy to be effective.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    6am - wake up oldest son
    6:30am - pack lunches for self and kids, gather sports uniforms for after school practices
    6:55am - out the door
    * Walk/run during lunch time *
    4:30pm - rush home to fix dinner
    5:00pm - out the door to drop daughter off at cheerleading
    5:30pm - pick oldest son up at soccer
    6:00pm - back home to do homework with 6 year old
    6:45pm - out the door to pick up daughter at cheer then off to Gymnastics
    * Big chunk of time here *
    8Pm - shower the youngest and get him into bed

9pm - back out the door to pick up daughter from gymnastics
    9:45pm - finally able to take work clothes and shoes off before passing out

Also, you could consider having the children's father help out with some of the running and/or cooking. Or cook meals on the weekend and save prep time during the week.
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wow... As a single mom with a 6 year old and an 8 year old, I was kind of depressed reading this thread!
    I also work full time and my kids are in karate 3 nights per week plus in counseling one night during the week.
    Most days I'm wiped out at the end of the day!

To the OP: You sound like a great mom! You keep doing what you need to in order to keep your family running!
    You do need to find some time for yourself though or you are going to burn out and not be any good for your kids. Please make taking care of you just as important as taking care of your kids, you're worth it!

One of the things I have found helpful in fitting in exercise to my busy days is getting my kids interested and doing it together as a family. My 8 year old daughter decided she loves Zumba and asks frequently to do the videos with me. If we aren't running around and have 30 minutes to pop the DVD in, it's a great fun workout we can do together. My 6 year old son watches and rolls his eyes, then he finds legos or something else to occupy himself for half an hour.

Another thing I do to squeeze in a little activity is to walk while my kids are in karate class. I get them to class and wait till the class is started, then all of the moms go for a walk. We motivate each other to get moving and it gives some time for a little adult girl chat while the kids are in class. You could even strap on some ankle weights or take along some light hand weights to do some arm exercises while you walk.

Several people mentioned that the kids need to step up a bit more. I do agree with this as well. It won't happen overnight though, so don't expect that. Start with small things. If they don't have alarm clocks, get them. My 8 year old got one for christmas that plays CD's so she has hers set to wake her up to one of her favorite CDs every morning.
    Sit them all down and let them know that you will help them make their own lunches for the next week. Key word here is "help". Tell them that you expect them to be in the kitchen helping get things done. Period. There is no reason why even the 6 year old can't do at least 90% of his own lunch packing. Mine does all of his, especially on days he wants one of the frozen premade pb&j sandwiches.
    At the end of that week they should be in the habit of being in the kitchen packing lunches, so you should be able to step out and have them just go take care of business.

Start making some small changes to take some of the burden off yourself and teach your kids that they are able to take on some responsibility. They will benefit from this as well.
    Make taking care of yourself a priority. You can do this!
  • larisabones
    Options
    Looks like you have time between waking up your oldest son and packing lunches. Get 20 minutes of exercise when you wake up at 5, then get ready for work and get your son an alarm clock.
    The time thing is always an excuse. I'm not saying this to be mean, but I've seen people do this so many times and then talk about their schedule to try to justify it. Also, every suggestion that has been posted was met with another excuse and the person that told you that you don't even need to work out, you said 'THANK YOU!!!" and your justification was complete.
    I also find that we over estimate how much time we spend doing things For example: i really don't think it take 30 minutes to wake up your son. I also find it hard to believe that your daughter has cheer AND gymnastics every day. I had friends that did both as well and it was never that crazy of a schedule.
    There is ALWAYS time. I've seen some great suggestions on here, and all will work if you just create a new routine that includes working out. Changes will have to be made if you really want to make the time, and I think that is what people don't like to confront.
  • LatteMocha
    Options
    You can prepare lunches the night before, as well as have everything needed laid out for the following day. This way all you have to do is pick up and go. Include a pair of comfortable walking shoes in your carry out bag the same as you pack your lunch or important necessities. You wont even have to run to the car. You can slip them on right at your desk... If you're unable to do a complete 30min workout in one setting, break up the time into intervals. 15mins in the am, and the other 15 right before bed.
    Between the 15's and your lunch break it sounds like exercise to me. =] I hope this helps!...
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Just some observations:

Up at 5 am to get ready for work
    6am - wake up oldest son
    6:30am - pack lunches for self and kids, gather sports uniforms for after school practices

What are you doing 6 and 6:30am? The ages of your children they can start getting their stuff ready the night before. When do you eat dinner? While your daughter is at gymnastics what do you do with that time? 6:45p-8p
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    youre up at 5.
    get up at 4.

That's plenty for me...maybe not for the OP, was just offering an opinion and an expample of what I do.:smile:

Sorry, I didn't mean to belittle your opinion at all.

6 hours of sleep is inadequate for most people. Many people are going through life sleep deprived and have health problems as a result. I need 8-9 hours, and sometimes even more. A busy mom like the OP likely needs at least 8; however, she can determine that for herself. Personally, I hate mornings (especially during DST) and I get up earlier than I have to just to get some "me" time. When I get my Bowflex I will likely put in a few minutes in the morning, but there is no way I will reduce my sleep. An hour of cardio in the morning? Never.
  • trtmom
    trtmom Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    youre up at 5.
    get up at 4.

6 hours of sleep is inadequate for most people. Many people are going through life sleep deprived and have health problems as a result. I need 8-9 hours, and sometimes even more. A busy mom like the OP likely needs at least 8; however, she can determine that for herself. Personally, I hate mornings (especially during DST) and I get up earlier than I have to just to get some "me" time. When I get my Bowflex I will likely put in a few minutes in the morning, but there is no way I will reduce my sleep. An hour of cardio in the morning? Never.

getting up early is not an option for me! I need more than 6 hours of sleep...I'm way to busy not to rest. As for those saying I have extra time in the morning because I get up at 5 and don't get my son up til 6:30, well obviously you don't know how long it takes to shower, dry hair, straighten hair, do makeup and get dressed!
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    Get up at 4 am a couple of times a week? What about weekends? Making excuses is the first step to a failure...
  • trtmom
    trtmom Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just some observations:

Up at 5 am to get ready for work
    6am - wake up oldest son

What are you doing 6 and 6:30am? The ages of your children they can start getting their stuff ready the night before. When do you eat dinner? While your daughter is at gymnastics what do you do with that time? 6:45p-8p

from 6-6:30 I've moved out of the bathroom so my son can shower and I finish straightening my hair in my bedroom. I'm usually out of my bedroom by 6:35 at the latest.
  • sarijw
    sarijw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous commenters. I find that walking over my break and my lunch really, really helps me.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    youre up at 5.
    get up at 4.

getting up early is not an option for me! I need more than 6 hours of sleep...I'm way to busy not to rest. As for those saying I have extra time in the morning because I get up at 5 and don't get my son up til 6:30, well obviously you don't know how long it takes to shower, dry hair, straighten hair, do makeup and get dressed!

See, I'm also not what you'd call a "girly" girl. On a normal day I'm up at 6:30 and out the door by 6:50. (that's taking 5 minutes to check my e-mail and Facebook)

The 4am days are the days I work both jobs and don't have time to run after my "day" job, so it's not an every single day thing.

Shower the night before, *maybe* run a straightener through my hair and I don't wear make up.

I'm a single, busy mom, as well (choir, drama and night classes for the kid and I work 2 jobs) but I do have the added advantage of my daughter being a teenager. I don't wake her up or have any need to gather her things or make her lunches. :smile:
  • larisabones
    Options
    youre up at 5.
    get up at 4.

I know how long that takes. It takes me about 30 minutes. Any my hair is long, so don't try that one on me. Maybe you could throw your hair up in some quick and easy up-dos on days you work out. I'll even find a link to some that I use all the time and they take about 3 minutes to complete if you really want. I'm really trying to figure out why you posted this if the only thing you're going to do is say why you can't work out? You're not the busiest person in the world. I'm just not convinced that you are serious about exercise because there is always always always always time.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Your kids do not have to participate in all the activities they are doing. Especially at the expense of your health. If they want to continue to participate they need to help you. My children know that we belong to a family and everyone's responsible to do their part to help the family. We all pitch in. I stay home with my kids but, I also homeschool them which is a big responsibility and takes a lot of time. They are 10, 8 and 4 and I also babysit a five month old. My day is busy. They participate in dance classes, sewing classes, soccer, piano lessons and they help out at a horse farm once a week. They know that all of it can be taken away if they do not do their part in helping the family function. One of the biggest components of that is a strong healthy Mom. Both mentally and physically. Asking them to help you in the morning is not a lot to ask. I also think if you got up 15 minutes earlier and shaved another 15 minutes off your get ready time you could get in a good workout.

You are doing a good job. You obviously love your kids and sacrifice a lot for them. Congratulations on your weight loss. Working out makes you feel good. It releases great chemicals into your body that make you more alert and help relieve stress. I find I also sleep better when I workout. When your strength and endurance increase you become even more motivated to continue in your healthy eating. Keep up the good work and may you be blessed in your journey of health and motherhood.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I know how long that takes. It takes me about 30 minutes. Any my hair is long, so don't try that one on me. Maybe you could throw your hair up in some quick and easy up-dos on days you work out. I'll even find a link to some that I use all the time and they take about 3 minutes to complete if you really want. I'm really trying to figure out why you posted this if the only thing you're going to do is say why you can't work out? You're not the busiest person in the world. I'm going to keep saying it: there is always always always always time.
    My wife takes 40 minutes to an hour to get ready for work and she doesn't wear makeup. If the person could do it faster...I'm sure they would. Just saying get ready faster is silly, because even if they did, there'd be a good claim to sleep later.
  • larisabones
    Options
    I know how long that takes. It takes me about 30 minutes. Any my hair is long, so don't try that one on me. Maybe you could throw your hair up in some quick and easy up-dos on days you work out. I'll even find a link to some that I use all the time and they take about 3 minutes to complete if you really want. I'm really trying to figure out why you posted this if the only thing you're going to do is say why you can't work out? You're not the busiest person in the world. I'm going to keep saying it: there is always always always always time.
    My wife takes 40 minutes to an hour to get ready for work and she doesn't wear makeup. If the person could do it faster...I'm sure they would. Just saying get ready faster is silly, because even if they did, there'd be a good claim to sleep later.

That's too bad. I'm sure shes really screwed when she wakes up late* and has to rush. I'm sure she really goes all out when that happens. Or does she find a way to go a little quicker? Knock it off people, you KNOW what you need to do if you want to make time for things. Just do it!!!