Detox

Options
For those of you who have done a Detox., can you share your experiences?

Replies

• pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Mine was in a drug and alcohol treatment center. I was on librium for the first few days due to high blood pressure (common symptom of alcohol withdrawal - and hangovers!!). The fog lifted after about a week and I began to feel human again by the time I checked out (26 days).

5 1/2 years sober now - feelin' great!!

Oh, did you mean that other kind of detox?
  • Krista_1
    Krista_1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am trying a juice fast for 7 days, and I was wondering if anyone has tried something like this, or some sort of food supported detox.
  • Eerinelizz
    Eerinelizz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you haven't gotten a million responses about how " unhealthy" it is to do a juice fast! Lol!
    I didn't do a true reboot or "detox" but I did juice exclusively for about 2 days and have used juices as meal replacements for about a month now. For me, it was more about getting all those micronutrients into my body, and less about the "detox". Also, since juice contains most of the calories of the fruits and veggies, my weight loss has remained very steady. I must say, juices make me feel incredible! My cravings for processed, unhealthy foods has decreased, and now I crave veggies and fruits all the time. I even crave the green juice, like the one you have in your profile pic. I hope your fast is going well.... Good luck!
  • Krista_1
    Krista_1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Regarding getting posts about how unhealthy a juice detox can be, I posted elsewhere my exact detox, and it created this huge debate about how bad it is. I just wanted to know if anyone had successfully tried it. I think it's an excellent idea to juice for meal replacement, and I will definitely incorporate that into my routine. Thanks for the tip! My Dr. said it would "reset" my taste buds, and I can already feel a difference.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It's not bad as much as unnessesary. Your body has a liver, thats all the detox you need. Trying to add to it is just a waste of time.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've never done a juice fast. Like Eerinelizz, though, like I'm juicing to get more micro nutrients in my diet. I enjoy salad, but there's no way I could eat the amount of veggies and fruits I can drink in juice form.

I'm still new to it, but I have seen some changes. I'm not yet ready to say it's definitely from the juicing, but time will tell.

Last year I did do a "whole food cleanse". It really did have the effect of resetting my cravings. The biggest change was my water intake. All of my adult life I've been one of those people who would gag when trying to drink plain water. After the detox I LOVED it. I drink more plain water now than anything else.

It was sort of the start of my healthier new lifestyle.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Serious question

How would one know if he or she successfully detoxed their body?
  • beforeafter135
    beforeafter135 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear myself. Can you give me the recipe for the green juice, please.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Serious question

Your hands stop shaking.
    Your blood pressure comes down.
    Your liver panel returns to normal.
    Your resting pulse drops below 110.
    You can drive past a liquor store without going in.
    You're able to sleep without being intoxicated.

oh, you're still talking about that other kind of detox, aren't you?
  • Eerinelizz
    Options
    Serious question

I have my doubts about how serious this question really is, but here's my answer anyway...
    I know our bodies do an excellent job of "detoxing" all by themselves. I view the detox as more of a "reset"....as in, I've reset my cravings and mental dependence on the crap food I used to think I needed. So I'm no longer pumping my body full of nothing but gross, processed foods and I instead have the micronutients obtained from the fruits and veggies I'm ingesting. I feel much more energetic and healthy and now crave the fresh foods my body needs. That's how I know I've "detoxed". I know there are many other ways to obtain these same results, but this is what worked for me.
  • Eerinelizz
    Options
    Interested to hear myself. Can you give me the recipe for the green juice, please.

6 Kale Leaves
    1 Cucumber
    4 Celery Stalks
    2 Green Apples
    1/2 Lemon
    1 piece of ginger

Juice and enjoy!
  • Eerinelizz
    Options

So re-training your body to crave whole, healthy, unprocessed foods is going to cause us to put the weight back on?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to know if anyone had successfully tried it.

The problem is that anyone who knows anything about science will NOT try it. Those who do not know about science are very easily swayed by the placebo effect.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

So re-training your body to crave whole, healthy, unprocessed foods is going to cause us to put the weight back on?

Nope, but doing silly things like detoxing and juicing will practically guarantee it.
  • mgrimshaw
    Options
    I have tried to do it, but I couldn't do more than 2 days. For me, it made me sick at my stomach and gave me major headaches. I hear that those are some of the effects of detoxing, but it wasn't worth it for me. However, my sister and her sister-in-law have each done detoxes (juice and the Reboot Program) and have found it to be very successful for them. It should be noted that I have had very unhealthy eating habits (thus the need for this site) and they both have had very healthy eating habits, so that may be a key to their success and my fail and may play a role in how it goes for you. My sister's sister-in-law chose to do the detox because she was having tons of medical problems that the doctors couldn't seem to fix, so she thought she would try a detox and see if that helped. It helped all her problems and because of it she was able to discover that certain foods were triggering her medical problems. Hope this helps you!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned before about doing a juice fast, had great success, but then gained the weight back. I think some people feel it will automatically "reset" something, that they will crave other things. I think some just think they can go back to what they were doing before.

A healthy moderate diet will get you through. So long as you're in the perameters of your food & exercise goal, you'll get there.

I see nothing wrong with a juice fast, just nothing long term or often. It's different for everyone. But if you're on a liquid diet for very long, your stomach won't be happy with you.
  • Eerinelizz
    Options

Nope, but doing silly things like detoxing and juicing will practically guarantee it.

Oh, you must be an expert. I'm sorry. My personal experience with juicing must be wrong. Consuming fresh fruits and veggies is a sure path to an unhealthy lifestyle. It's gotta be the lack of fiber in the juice that guarantees we'll be scarfing down McDonalds soon after we stop drinking that nasty, unhealthy juice. So glad you're here to clear that up for me.
  • meggie2cute
    Options
    congratulations for being sober! keep up the good work!
  • Eerinelizz
    Options
    I just wanted to know if anyone had successfully tried it.

The problem is that anyone who knows anything about science will NOT try it. Those who do not know about science are very easily swayed by the placebo effect.

I'm so glad all these experts who "know about science" are here to help!