Weak wrists anyone?

Options
So I thought it was just me, but apparently this "weak wrist" thing runs in my family. I have a lot of muscle mass and I feel very strong when it comes to doing push-ups. My only downfall is that I can barely hold myself up because my wrists hurt so much! They feel extremely weak and always have. They feel like they are bleeding or something. I thought there was something wrong with me, but my father was in the military for twenty years and told me he had the same problem. He would get a lot of **** for not being able to do push-ups very well. He has weak wrists too, apparently. Does anyone else have this problem and how common is it, really? It is so frustrating and embarrassing!

Replies

• safiresp04
    Options
    You can work to strengthen your wrists by taking lightweight dumbells & curling them up towards your forearms - just a basic flex that moves just the wrist muscles, not your whole arm. That may help strengthen those muscles a bit.
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't have "weak wrists" exactly, but I have a chronically injured one. So for me to do my push-ups I make a fist and do them on my knuckles, it keeps my wrist straight so the pressure is on the knuckles and very little is transferred to my wrists. My doctor recommended folding up a towel or sweatshirt to put under my knuckles when I do the to give a little more cushion, if it is needed.

Good luck!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    IDK if my wrists are weak or not. But I sprained my wrist last fall doing push-ups.

I went and got those perfect PU bars, that really helps with the PU.

Also, I didn't think these would help support my wrists while lifting. But a pair of wrist wrap weight lifting gloves really helps too.

You can both of these at any sporting goods store, and most retail stores.
  • sprags
    sprags Posts: 56
    Options
    I agree with wstjohn. I do pushups on my knuckles because I have tendonitis in both of my wrists. It helps a lot...even if it's noly temporary to give my wrists a break. I modify yoga poses to help rest my wrists as well.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use a product called dynaflex to rehab my athletes that have hurt their wrists. It takes a little time to learn to use it but it is a lot of fun. It was recommeded to me by an orthopedist. Here is a link: http://www.dynaflexpro.com/. I am sure you can find is for cheap on amazon or ebay.
  • incircles_lp2
    incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I have been using my knuckles for push-ups, but I'm glad I can work on doing them the "regular" way. I will take peoples' advice wholeheartedly. Thanks!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    You can work to strengthen your wrists by taking lightweight dumbells & curling them up towards your forearms - just a basic flex that moves just the wrist muscles, not your whole arm. That may help strengthen those muscles a bit.

I have weak wrists also and these exercises have really helped me.