Low cal dinner suggestion?

Options
I need a low cal dinner suggestion..... Any ideas?

Replies

• DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    YES IDEAS PLEASE... I eat about 900 calories everynight including dinner and sacks... NEED low cal dinners!
  • smada
    smada Posts: 2
    Options
    There are some good recipes on this site!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/

Go under Chew the Right Thing

Hope this helps!
  • rvkirk
    rvkirk Posts: 37
    Options
    My fav is quorn, you get lots for your calories, brocolli with low fat Philly on top. Yummy.
    Also omlette with 1 whole egg and then add egg whites, as they are low cal with lots if veggies.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
  • TracyV
    TracyV Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been on a chicken stir-fry kick lately. 2 or 3 chicken breasts (depending on how many people are eating and how many leftovers i want) and A LOT of fresh veggies on a little bit of rice. Adding lots of veggies makes it a lot more filling without adding tons of calories, i generally use broccoli, carrots and celery because that's usually what i have in the fridge but you could use whatever. You can find lots of sauce recipes online or I've been buying the bottles of VH Stir-fry sauce. If you go the VH or bottled route make sure you check the labels...some flavors are nice and low (in everything, not just calories) like the Teriyaki which has become my favorite but some kinds are almost double which is still not that high but just keep it in mind.
  • lilgeneral05
    Options
    how about baked lemon pepper chicken with mixed fresh veggies...
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options

Ummmmmmmmmmm best site ever!!!!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I agree that sparkrecipes.com is great! Plus it has an app for BB and Iphone!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing right now is to carmelize cabbage (OK, I just use cole slaw mix, lol), onions and garlic in some olive oil, then add shredded chicken to it. Season it to taste with pepper and it's delish! You can have a huge serving for under calories (I think 6 oz of the cabbage is only 50 calories, 100g chicken breast is about 160 calories, onions and garlic are maybe 10ish, 1 tsp olive oil is about 50 calories).
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    LOVING ALL THE SUGGESTIONS HERE!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Tortilla Soup
    2 cans of chicken broth
    2 cans of stew tomatoes
    1 cup of salsa
    1 Tbs of cumin
    2 Tbs butter
    1 clove garlic
    4 chicken breast (frozen or thawed)
    Cook 6-8 hours on low in crock pot, shred chicken before serving, Top with low fat cheese,
    low fat sour cream, & crumpled chips (for those not watching calories). You can also top with Sliced avocado (a good fat).
    Nutritional info (including 1/4 serving or tortilla chips, .5 tbsp of low fat sour cream, 1/4 serving low fat shredded cheese)

Nutritional Info

* Servings Per Recipe: 6
    * Amount Per Serving
    * Calories: 260.8

* Total Fat: 6.6 g
    * Cholesterol: 95.6 mg
    * Sodium: 671.9 mg
    * Total Carbs: 9.1 g
    * Dietary Fiber: 2.0 g
    * Protein: 39.8 g

View full nutritional breakdown of Chicken Tortilla Soup calories by ingredient
    I also add black beans for extra protein. I drain and wash them and add them 30-60 minutes before serving..

And:

Chili - Ground Turkey Chili Stew
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=769777

This is a recipe that I have been experimenting with and tweaking for years. Always a family favorite and they didn't even notice the difference when I re-invented it using low fat ingredients and turkey instead of beef.

The best thing about this meal is how much fun you can have making it. Since it is more of a "stew" I have added all kinds of different vegetables and sometimes even put left over pot roast in with it. Have fun and be creative!

60 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

Ingredients

1 Tablespoon Promise or Light Margarine
    2 Large Onions, Diced in 1/4" Pieces
    1 Pound Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
    1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
    1 Cup Diced Raw Potatoes, I even leave the skin on
    1 Small Green/Bell Pepper, Diced in 1/4" Pieces
    1 Cup Chopped Celery
    1 Large Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles, 28oz
    1 Can Tomato Soup, 10.5oz
    1 Can/Bottle of Light Beer, 12oz
    2 Can Kidney Beans, 15.5oz each, (Do not drain)

(Optional)
    If you want more flavor use a dark ale or lager for the beer and the calorie impact per serving is small.

Add tons of nutrition and kill almost all the sodium by substituting Hurst's 15 Bean Soup beans. You have to soak them over night but it is awesome! I also have gone to making this in the slow cooker so I have updated the cooking instructions.

Update: Since I have noticed some comments related to the beer I thought I would add what that is about and hopefully educate in the process. It "is" true that alcohol evaporates during the cooking process. If you simmer the chili or make it in a slow cooker it will take about 3hrs for all of the alcohol to be effectively evaporated. The primary ingredients that the beer adds to the chili is the hops, barley and especially the brewers yeast. It will add a deeper richer taste to ANY chili. So other than ethical or religous reasons... Go for it!
    There is some great information related to this topic if you go to this link at OChef.com: http://www.ochef.com/165.htm. Enjoy!

Jalapeño or Habenero Peppers if you want to give it a "Real" kick.
    If you want to use extra lean ground beef it adds about 50 calories per serving.

Directions
    Melt the margarine in a large sauce pan. Add the onions and saute until they are tender and transparent. Add the turkey and cook until it looses its reddish color. Add the salt, chili powder, and garlic. Continue to cook and stir for a minute or so to allow flavors to blend.

If you wish to use a slow cooker like I always do now. You can even prepare the first step from above the night before then just put everything in the slow cooker the next morning. I typically put it on high for 6 to 8 hours.

Add tomatoes, tomato soup, beer, potatoes, green pepper, and celery. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the edges of the potatoes become transparent.

Add the kidney beans and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Personally, if I have the time I like to let it simmer for several hours to let the flavors blend and I don't know how many times people have told me that this chili is actually better the next day as left overs.

Number of Servings: 12

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ARIZUMA.

Number of Servings: 12
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    tonight i made a baked ziti using whole wheat pasta, skim ricotta, 1% cottage cheese, skim mozzarella, egg whites, natural tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. mixed up the first set of ingredients, covered baking dish with 1/2 sauce/tomatoes, added the pasta mixture, topped with sauce/tomatoes, baked 350 for 70 mins, topped with extra mozzarella cheese, baked another 10 mins. yum
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Wow great recipes! Thanx guys! That tortilla soup has my name on it!!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    My favorite thing right now is to carmelize cabbage (OK, I just use cole slaw mix, lol), onions and garlic in some olive oil, then add shredded chicken to it. Season it to taste with pepper and it's delish! You can have a huge serving for under calories (I think 6 oz of the cabbage is only 50 calories, 100g chicken breast is about 160 calories, onions and garlic are maybe 10ish, 1 tsp olive oil is about 50 calories).

Did you get this off a website?
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

Did you get this off a website?

I think I stole it from somebody on another thread on here. Perhaps CasperO posted it originally on a thread similar to this one. Someone else does the same thing, but uses pork instead of chicken (I tried that too, and it is also yummy).