salt

Say if i cook a soup with carrots, celery, onions, cabbage, broccoli, zucchini and squash. Throw in a cube of chicken flavor and some salt and pepper.... is this "healthy?" And if yes, how does the salt affect my weight loss even though im eating vegetables?

Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    I would consider that healthy.

No effect on your long term weight loss, but may cause you to retain fluid in the short term.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    I would consider that healthy.

No effect on your long term weight loss, but may cause you to retain fluid in the short term.

Agreed!
  • bhawk82
    bhawk82 Posts: 24 Member
    I think as long as you are getting enough water everyday, that should be fine. It's mostly veggies which have little to no calories :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Salt can cause water retention, and dehydration. I believe the RDA is 2,500 mg of sodium. I don't think you have ANYthing to worry about! :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    While many say to keep sodium intake low, you don't have to abandon it all together.

Having a thread questioning if your chicken can have a salt and pepper rub without you turning into Java the Hutt overnight seems a little excessive in the sodium fear realm.

It is not like you are eating it by the cup full.
  • i would say it depends on how much salt you're using... i get low sodium salt and season with that. if you have too much sodium in a day it'll cause you to retain water and bloat. sodium can also lead to high blood pressure and other health problems. a lot of people don't pay attention to sodium when they're trying to lose weight but it's actually really important. i have it as one of the things i pay close attention to along with fat, carbs, cholesterol, and sugar. just don't over do it, but a little bit of salt is ok. you can have around 2500 mg in a day.

just as a point of reference, low sodium soy sauce has 500mg of sodium in 1 tablespoon!!!! just think how regular soy sauce is!! Also, ramen is a 2 serving brick and 1 serving has about 900mg of sodium... and NOBODY eats half of the package of ramen, we eat the whole thing... 1800mg of sodium in 1 dish! crazy!!!
  • sabgoe
    sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
    Sounds yummy and healthy. Personally, I would not add the salt. If you add chicken flavor, then there is no need for salt, in my opinion. I have not cooked or baked with salt in years.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    sounds healthy to me...as for the salt...it can make you retain water in the short term as already mentioned......and can affect your blood pressure as well..........which is why i have to watch my salt intake as i was diagnosed with it back in 2009 and am on two medications to control it.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    now what if throw in some chicken drum sticks? Would adding chicken to it highly increase the calories....if chicken is skinned and trimmed obviously.
  • While many say to keep sodium intake low, you don't have to abandon it all together.

Having a thread questioning if your chicken can have a salt and pepper rub without you turning into Java the Hutt overnight seems a little excessive in the sodium fear realm.

It is not like you are eating it by the cup full.

i agree... a little bit of salt to season is no problem... but a lot of people don't realize just how much salt is in the foods we eat. check out a can of campbells soup or any other processed food that most of us eat. it can add up quick!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Sodium is a necessary nutrient; however, some people's bodies are more sensitive to it than others leaving them feeling bloated from water retention. I'd say as long as you're eating homemade soup you're pretty safe but stay away from eating a can of Campbell's a day... that would end up being a lot of unnecessary sodium.

Also, if you want to counter the effects of too much sodium you can always just drink extra water to flush out your system.
  • now what if throw in some chicken drum sticks? Would adding chicken to it highly increase the calories....if chicken is skinned and trimmed obviously.

you can search drumsticks in the food database.. chicken isn't bad calorie-wise as long as your trimming the fat/skin.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    No, chicken is a great choice without the skin and with the fat trimmed off.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Adding salt to taste in home cooking is not going to be a problem.

Salt in prepared/packaged foods is a different matter entirely, but unless you have a medical condition requiring you to consume less sodium, even the amount in prepared foods can be dealt with by drinking enough water.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    I would eliminate the salt. I think you have enough flavor that the salt would be an added sodium that you can do without. The rest sounds very healthy and quite yummy.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Pretty darn wholesome and healthy, yes. I would recommend either adding in some sort of protein or serving it in conjunction with a protein.

Salt is nothing to worry about for most folks. In terms of weight loss, it may cause you to retain water. But that's irrelevant assuming that you are interested in fat-loss.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I don't necessarily think that is an overabundance of salt.
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 279 Member
    The cube of chicken has salt in it. I don't think she is adding extra salt, but the chicken cubes have high sodium content.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    One chicken bouillon cube contains about 870mg of sodium. If you're not getting a lot of sodium from other sources today, you'll be fine. Especially if you're not eating the entire pot of soup today...
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    You can get no or low sodium chicken boullion but if the cube is full salt then you don't really need any extra :-) Sound yummy other wise, as far as the drumsticks - dark meat has more fat content and calories than breast/white meat but you can decide if that's ok with you, personally I don't like the dark meat but I know other people prefer it!
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    thanks everyone! super helpful!!! :)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Homemade soups are so much lower in sodium than store bought. I use a low sodium chicken broth, then use extra salt at the table if I want a little more. This will help you keep your sodium levels down because cooking with salt actually reduces the impact of it's flavor. Season at the table, not at the stove, and you will be much healthier.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    now what if throw in some chicken drum sticks? Would adding chicken to it highly increase the calories....if chicken is skinned and trimmed obviously.

Use MFP's recipe function to create the dish as you are cooking. I use the mobile app in my kitchen and will edit the recipe with any additional changes I've made after submitting on my desktop computer. MFP will generate all the nutritional information for you and all you have to do is add in how much you ate for that meal.

Also, you can save frequently repeated meals. I eat the same thing every time I go to Subway, so I saved it to my meals and just have to click once to add it to my diary.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Yes. But it would be healthier without the salt and chicken cube.