Interesting HRM results and NSV

Options
2»

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    One question, Have you reset your HRM to the lower weight? I just got mine and it tells me to update my weight with every 5lb loss. I set mine lower than my actual weight on purpose.

Great weight loss btw!!! :smile:

Yes. I have been resetting it as I lose.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Ms Soul Rebel comes in with the facts to back me up, and restores my faith in the forum, all in one post. Nice work! :flowerforyou:
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.... I'm also struggling to see how intensity has nothing to do with it.

If you did the same exercises, same video, same weight, same INTENSITY - then yes, as you lost weight you would slow down calorie burn. That I can agree with.

But if you ramp up your intensity because losing weight has allowed you to do so, and if you've increased your intensity to an extent that the delta in additional calories you burn by the increase of intensity offsets any calories you are not burning because you now have less weight to move around (i.e., you go down lower in your squats causing your muscles to work harder, if you push through and do all the jumping jacks or push ups or sit ups instead of taking random 5-10 second breaks, etc).... then you can still burn the same or more calories when you weigh less.

For example -

Let's say you walk for 30 minutes, and go super slow (pace of 2 miles per hour). You will burn maybe 100 calories.

Now let's say you have lost weight, and now you're able to still do the same 30 minutes, but you've increased your INTENSITY (or your pace) and go at a 4MPH pace. You'll burn about 300 cals.

That's why HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is such a big deal and will increase your burn and your fat loss - because intensity DOES matter.

Don't take my word for it - google it for yourself.... here's some supporting articles i found:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1677 (read #2)

"Intensity means everything in when it comes to burning fat mass. Duration definitely also plays a big part, but only when it comes to how you fine tune your workouts to your personal ability (ex. out of shape = shorter workout duration). " - quote from http://fitness.stackexchange.com/questions/2509/does-duration-or-intensity-or-both-affect-how-many-calories-are-burned-in-a-card

For a more scientific explanation, check out this link:
    http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/caloricexp.html

I think you've done AWESOME - congrats on your weight loss!

I noticed this site has a lot of hate for circuit training/cardio. Yes, lifting heavy is great for you and you will achieve amazing results this way, but lots of people also have gotten amazing results with HIIT/circuit training as well. My feeling is as long as you are moving more and being more active and being realistic about what your workouts will give you in terms of how your body will look (like don't expect abs of steel if your workout is just cleaning/walking), it's awesome that you are doing what you are doing and keep at it.
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. I know for me now I have to practically kill myself to get my heart rate as high as I used to get when I was overweight :P, but I definitely think it's awesome that I can do so much more without my heart skyrocketing.

Wow! What a great weight loss. I am hoping to have that same problem with getting my heart rate up someday. That sounds like a good problem to have, lol.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I think you can compare this to being able to run at a certain speed... say a 10 minute mile... but then because you lose some pounds you are then able to run the same amount of time but at a 9 minute mile, thereby actually increasing the workload in the same time period and, thus, increasing the burn.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    When figuring calories all the estimates take into consideration sex, weight, height and other variables. As your weight goes down you are supposed to burn less calories. But, since I have had my HRM I have noticed my calorie burn going up doing the same routine. It is very encouraging. I know it is because I am becoming more fit and able to workout at a higher intensity. My squats are a little lower, my jacks a little higher etc... Just an observation that I have been noticing. I still have a loooonnngg way to go but today I am encouraged by how far I have come.

Congrats !
    It's simple physics. higher jacks, lower squats all means more energy output and higher burn.
  • mssoulrebel_77
    Options
    I noticed this site has a lot of hate for circuit training/cardio. Yes, lifting heavy is great for you and you will achieve amazing results this way, but lots of people also have gotten amazing results with HIIT/circuit training as well. My feeling is as long as you are moving more and being more active and being realistic about what your workouts will give you in terms of how your body will look (like don't expect abs of steel if your workout is just cleaning/walking), it's awesome that you are doing what you are doing and keep at it.

I'm glad you said that! I've noticed the same thing.... perhaps it's about misconceptions... I know you will burn more calories doing resistance training than you would cardio (better afterburn and increase in muscle which increases RMR) - so for that reason it's encouraged. BUUUUT - my personal opinion is that for overall health it's better to incorporate both. I want to be able to ride a bicycle for a couple hours on a beautiful day with my son.

For me - HIIT is my absolute favorite. A few years ago I lost quite a bit (70lbs) doing mostly HIIT and limited strength training. I found my endurance increased faster and i burned more calories that way.
  • JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.... I'm also struggling to see how intensity has nothing to do with it.

If you did the same exercises, same video, same weight, same INTENSITY - then yes, as you lost weight you would slow down calorie burn. That I can agree with.

But if you ramp up your intensity because losing weight has allowed you to do so, and if you've increased your intensity to an extent that the delta in additional calories you burn by the increase of intensity offsets any calories you are not burning because you now have less weight to move around (i.e., you go down lower in your squats causing your muscles to work harder, if you push through and do all the jumping jacks or push ups or sit ups instead of taking random 5-10 second breaks, etc).... then you can still burn the same or more calories when you weigh less.

For example -

Let's say you walk for 30 minutes, and go super slow (pace of 2 miles per hour). You will burn maybe 100 calories.

Now let's say you have lost weight, and now you're able to still do the same 30 minutes, but you've increased your INTENSITY (or your pace) and go at a 4MPH pace. You'll burn about 300 cals.

That's why HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is such a big deal and will increase your burn and your fat loss - because intensity DOES matter.

Don't take my word for it - google it for yourself.... here's some supporting articles i found:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1677 (read #2)

"Intensity means everything in when it comes to burning fat mass. Duration definitely also plays a big part, but only when it comes to how you fine tune your workouts to your personal ability (ex. out of shape = shorter workout duration). " - quote from http://fitness.stackexchange.com/questions/2509/does-duration-or-intensity-or-both-affect-how-many-calories-are-burned-in-a-card

For a more scientific explanation, check out this link:
    http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/caloricexp.html

I think you've done AWESOME - congrats on your weight loss!

This! I completely agree. I also think a little grace and humility goes a long way. :flowerforyou:
    Also, look at this page from livestrong.com:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/166095-how-to-measure-calories-burned-while-exercising/
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Ms Soul Rebel comes in with the facts to back me up, and restores my faith in the forum, all in one post. Nice work! :flowerforyou:

Yep. I couldn't see how intensity has nothing to do with calories burned either. Maybe "intensity" doesn't mean the same to all of the groups that use MFP. In my frame of reference, I can now walk a lot farther in 20 minutes than I could when I restarted in June. So, KUDOS! Good job and keep going hard, harder and hardest!!
  • mamasmaltz3
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was beginning to wonder if I was crazy for working harder! I do a lot of circuit training and I always up my intensity when the exercise begins to feel easier.