P90x-Pros and Cons?

Options

Replies

• anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing but love for P90X. I'm 45 and have done very little athletically over the past 20 yrs. I just finished P90X last week. I lost 30 lbs in 90 days. I feel great and I could not be happier with the program.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Personally, sports I'd be interested in (wakeboarding, snowboarding, basketball, soccer, etc) the strength (and the flexibility) I get from P90X is far more useful than hardcore lifting.

Unfortunately your personal preference is incorrect in application of the above statement and been 100% disproven through research. You can reference work done by Zatsiorsky (Science and Practice of Strength Training), AS Medvedyev, Dr. Mel Siff, Joe DeFranco (specializes in preparing college football players for the NFL), Louie Simmons (Strength consultant to Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots and owner of the Westside Barbell Club).

The type of "strength" training done in P90X is nearly useless in transference to sports. Granted if you've been sedentary up to this point than something is better than nothing and you will make some gains from P90X. But saying that because you've gained in P90x versus "hard core" lifting is more of a false positive. Much research has been done on which aspect of the Force Curve is most applicable to improving athletic performance and it is the maximal end of the Force Curve. Granted some repetition effort type work is done but when professional strength trainers train athletes the main focus in on the Maximal (strength) and Dynamic (acceleration). Moving heavy loads and moving them with force is most beneficial to an athlete.
    and therefore build a different kind of strength there are a ton of moves that use weights and its up to you to pick heavy enough weights and do the lower reps if you want bulk, pure strength increases

With the appropriate diet lower reps can support hypertrophy gains but if your goal is purely "bulk" then you're going to be using more of a mid to high rep range, hence more of a bodybuilder type program versus a powerlifter / performance program.
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend it. Been doing it off and on for almost 3 years.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Personally, sports I'd be interested in (wakeboarding, snowboarding, basketball, soccer, etc) the strength (and the flexibility) I get from P90X is far more useful than hardcore lifting.

Unfortunately your personal preference is incorrect in application of the above statement and been 100% disproven through research. You can reference work done by Zatsiorsky (Science and Practice of Strength Training), AS Medvedyev, Dr. Mel Siff, Joe DeFranco (specializes in preparing college football players for the NFL), Louie Simmons (Strength consultant to Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots and owner of the Westside Barbell Club).

The type of "strength" training done in P90X is nearly useless in transference to sports. Granted if you've been sedentary up to this point than something is better than nothing and you will make some gains from P90X. But saying that because you've gained in P90x versus "hard core" lifting is more of a false positive. Much research has been done on which aspect of the Force Curve is most applicable to improving athletic performance and it is the maximal end of the Force Curve. Granted some repetition effort type work is done but when professional strength trainers train athletes the main focus in on the Maximal (strength) and Dynamic (acceleration). Moving heavy loads and moving them with force is most beneficial to an athlete.
    and therefore build a different kind of strength there are a ton of moves that use weights and its up to you to pick heavy enough weights and do the lower reps if you want bulk, pure strength increases

With the appropriate diet lower reps can support hypertrophy gains but if your goal is purely "bulk" then you're going to be using more of a mid to high rep range, hence more of a bodybuilder type program versus a powerlifter / performance program.

you have to much time on ur hands
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yeah no one serious about sports ever did any serious barbell lifting. Olympic style lifts are particularlly bad for explosiveness on the field\court\whatever.

this.

the majority of serious athletes are doing barbell excercises to get stronger.
    not 10 pound overhead presses w/ dumbbells or bicycle kicks

Although I agree that a barbell program would be better. I would argue about the weight lifted. My last round of P90X I used a 20lb weighted vest for all pull-ups and push-ups to make it more of a muscle building routine. The dumbbells I used, depending on exercise, ranged from 15's up to 60's.

I have since moved on to more traditional barbell lifting focusing on compound lifts, but can tell you that you will get out of the program what you put into it. On the vids they do a lot of reps, but all you have to do is increase the weight and lower the reps to make it more of a bodybuilding workout, still not a strength or power routine though.
  • emlewin
    emlewin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Anyone who discredits the effectiveness P90x hasn't done it. I was a meathead non-believer at one point too--until I did the first chest & back workout. Pushups until failure. Pull-ups until failure. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

That said, the serious lifters are right--if you're just looking to put on size, hit the weight room (I do most of the time). At the moment, I'm dieting down for a BJJ tournament in a month and I've modified a lot of P90x to fit around my practice schedule.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Got to Zatsiorsky and immediately knew it was a Westsider :p
  • susanner35
    Options
    I use to be in the military and many of my former military friends, now civilians, and I have tried P90x.

I was unable to go past the 3rd week because I felt like if I missed a single workout or if I ate one wrong meal, I totally 'failed'. Also, I felt 'alone' when doing the workouts. My former military friends had the same result. Maybe there is a correlation that most of us were used to group training?

It's best to try a bunch of free/low cost options first and find out what works for your personality. I work out with a trainer for the simple fact that I am 100x more likely to work out when it is a social activity. I also do yoga 4-5 times a week and I love the feeling of being in a community of Yogis.

Good luck!
  • JNick77
    Options
    you have to much time on ur hands

In addition to doing things with friends, girlfriends, etc. on the side this is kind of a hobbie, I like learning about this stuff. What do you do with your spare time?
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posters that P90X is more resistance than strength training - but I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing.

I've done P90X, Insanity (to work off the rest of the jiggle) and a P90X-Insanity-Turbo Fire hybrid for maintenance. I have achieved infomercial worthy results with these programs although I admit it has taken a bit longer than 90 days.

For most average people, this is a good solid workout that is extremely scalable for a variety of fitness levels. It won't turn you into an olympian, or even help you make the cut for the Green Bay Packers. It will help you lose weight, get toned, and is an important step to establishing a solid fitness regimen. In reality, that's what most of us want.

I am a big advocate of trainers, but for a lot of average folks, spending $75+ per hour for a trainer, even in a group training setting, isn't feasible. I disagree with the poster that said "Most women are lifting these days". Certainly serious athletes are lifting, but many average women don't know where to start and are turned off by the high testosterone environment. As someone who has lifted at a time when women weren't really hitting the gym and leg warmers were in fashion, I can't say I blame them. I certainly consider myself average.

If you can drop the cash and you have the time, I 100% agree with the P90X naysayers: The gym is going to get you better results. For the rest of us (like myself) who are working out at 4:30 in the morning, the Beachbody videos are more than adequate.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have already done P90X but now I am doing P90X/Insanity.. It is definitely a strength building exercise program. Anyone who discredits it, hasn't done it. I have consistently increase my weight/rep count over the past 10 weeks (I stick around 8 reps on all moves except push ups and pull ups). I will note, it's more of an anaerobic workout so it's much better for cutting fat as opposed to bulking up. Additionally, I have done a bulk series with it and gained 7-8 lbs of muscle of the 10 lbs I gained [for those who want to do the math I was 191 @ 12% body fat to start, and finished at 200 lbs at 12.33% body fat]. Is it as effective as some other programs like Strong lift 5x5... probably not. But I rather do these programs than go to the gym. And on top of it, I haven't lost any LBM during p90x or chalean extreme or even the p90x/insanity hybrid.

My first time around P90X, I was 205 @ 18% body fat, cut to 191 @ 12% body fat. Then did the bulk doing P90X as stated above and now I am working on a cut doing P90X/Insanity.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Before everybody gets all bent-out-of-shape over any "nay-saying" of P90x, remember that the thread is called, TOPIC: P90x-Pros and Cons? The Con's just seem to take a larger focus on the conversations.

First, kudos to anybody for getting off the couch and doing something whether it's P90x or whatever. Additionally, I'll admit that I've never met anybody that went from doing nothing and did P90x. My experience is with those that were following a good weight lifting program and diet and then switched to P90 for whatever reason and those results were not good.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who was as equally unfit as I was. but he had about 60 pounds on me.
    I did the pretest with him and beat him on a few things, and was close on a couple.

I joined a gym, the did P90x for the duration of the program.
    When he joined me back at the gym, I was stronger than him, at a lighter bodyweight.

I feel like the gym was a much more beneficial choice. I spent less cash in the 90 day period, got stronger, and i just felt it was better overall.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Before everybody gets all bent-out-of-shape over any "nay-saying" of P90x, remember that the thread is called, TOPIC: P90x-Pros and Cons? The Con's just seem to take a larger focus on the conversations.

First, kudos to anybody for getting off the couch and doing something whether it's P90x or whatever. Additionally, I'll admit that I've never met anybody that went from doing nothing and did P90x. My experience is with those that were following a good weight lifting program and diet and then switched to P90 for whatever reason and those results were not good.

I think it also depends on your goals.. I already have a lot of lean body mass @ 5'11" and really my only concern is cutting fat and these programs all have been effective. Once i get to 6%, I will adjust according to my new goals.
  • JNick77
    Options

I think it also depends on your goals.. I already have a lot of lean body mass @ 5'11" and really my only concern is cutting fat and these programs all have been effective. Once i get to 6%, I will adjust according to my new goals.

Yes and no. Cutting body fat is more a function of diet than anything. You can drop significant body fat on diet alone. You can do P90x twice a day but if you eat at 2 to 3 times your TDEE you'll likely not accomplish your goal. With the right diet P90 and a solid weight training program can get you where you want to be but one will make you look differently than the other.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    OK. From my own experience. I'm on my last week of P90X now. I've had this workout program for over a year and this is the first time I've soulfully committed myself to the full 90 days. I disagree with many on here that say it's not strength training, ect. It has helped with what I've needed and I've gained much more than I could ever imagine from the program. I can do the ABS ripper (concentrating on your core/abs) and is tough. I can do pushes up better than I was able to day 1. I can do yoga and I even run faster (since I did the lean program). I've been on my weight loss journey for over 2 years and lost a huge amount of weight before doing P90X...but, I was in a plateau forever. I've lost almost 10lbs and about 15inches at least since day 1 of P90X. I've never looked better. Mind you, I'm not one to go to a gym for my workouts. I don't like lifting heavy or anything like that. I enjoy cardio and some strength training. Heck the most I use is a 10lbs. barbell. You do feel it though...trust me!

The con from my perspective as I was told is for myself to get a program like Turbo Fire or Insanity, because I love to workout for more calorie burn. Hence, why I also did my runs and other exercise in conjunction with the program.

I think reading your post, you would benefit from P90X if you are looking for a little weight training, and cardio. Hope this helps
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    This month my work sets for squats and deadlifts have increased by 60lbs each. How does a month of P90x compare?
  • ceajules
    Options
    Love it see my before and now pictures HUGE FAN!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    This month my work sets for squats and deadlifts have increased by 60lbs each. How does a month of P90x compare?

This is a very subjective question which is based on the person... and if p90x only looked at two major exercise this could be answered. I can tell you that most p90x weight training days have 12 sets and i have increase 10-15 lbs per set within a 3 week period (all upper body moves). I can bet you arent doing 12 sets of any of those..

In reality, one is not better than the other its whats suited for your overall goals.