P90X VS. INSANITY

I need some honest feedback from people who have completed both of these programs please. I have been doing P90X for the last 6 months and have built a bit of muscle. I am planning on switching to Insanity in a couple weeks. What I need to know is, do I need to worry about losing my muscle definition since Insanity does not include weights? I am a little nervous about this becuase I have put so much time and effort into my results. Thank you for your responses.

Replies

• brimarie95
    brimarie95 Posts: 81 Member
    Bump.
  • brimarie95
    brimarie95 Posts: 81 Member
    Bumping cuz I would really like some feedback. Thanks all.
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    I have read where many people said that they loss muscle mass after doing only insanity after stopping P90X. Tony Harper suggest doing 30 minutes (which is the first half ) of the P90x strength exercises weekly to maintain what was gained as you head forward. As a result, after completing P90X I went ahead and did the hybrid between P90X and Insanity for maintenance. I am close to completing the hybrid and went ahead and modified the hybrid between both so that I do the same strength training P90x workouts every 2 weeks instead of every 3 weeks. Most times I do all of the P90X workouts and at other times I do at least 40 minutes.

So far everything is great and my maintenance is going well. Good luck.
  • tshields27
    tshields27 Posts: 33 Member
    I have done Insanity now for 2 rounds and I love my definition. Trust me when I tell you that you will not lose your definition at all. You do so many pushups it's not even funny. I love the cutness of my arms. It's a GREAT workout
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    I have done both, 3 rounds of P90X and then Insanity and I would say you should see more muscle definition as most people lose more body fat and therefore your muscles show up more. I dropped close to 5 % bf. You may not be lifting weights but don't be fooled this program is hard, in fact for me I would say it is the hardest program I have done. The warm ups along will have you drop to your knees!! LOL

Good Luck
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    I say do the hybrid. You will definitely lose strength if you do only insanity but you may not lose muscle if you have a small deficit and adequate program as you are still providing resistance. I find the hybrid much more effective.
  • blamse
    blamse Posts: 17 Member
    I've done both and they're both good programs. I am now at the point where I still go to 24 HR Fitness most days, but mix in various Insanity and P90X DVDs depending on what type of exercise I'm looking to do each day. Insanity seems like a more efficient workout if your goal is to burn calories. P90X focuses more on strength training while Insanity is more focused on Cardio. My wife didn't like all of the pullups that you do with P90X but I actually enjoy that part. I bought the adjustable dumbbell set for P90X so I could use the maximum weight I could handle for the P90X videos that require lifting weights. With Insanity, you don't need anything but yourself and the DVDs.

I don't think you can go wrong doing either P90X or Insanity from start to finish and would try both if you can. One thing I like about both is that I never stretched enough prior to doing P90X or Insanity and they both make you stretch at the beginning and end of each DVD. P90X has a Yoga workout that is way too long for me since it's about an hour and a half. I've done the whole thing before but I want a more efficient workout, so Insanity gets the edge on being more time efficient overall. I think I have every DVD for both pretty much memorized by now. Tony Horton is good, but after watching him so often, I'm now at the point of being annoyed by him. If I hear him ask "Do you have your tickets for the Gun Show" one more time, my fist is going to go through my TV :)

Good luck. Pick one and stick with it. You'll be better off either route you take!