Workouts leading up to Insanity?

Options
Are there any workout that could lead up to Insanity? Is it a good idea to do 'so and so' workouts prior to it? If so, which ones?

Replies

• ejbrin
    Options
    I am also interested. I tried insanity once but I think I pushed myself too hard and felt it bad for the next few days.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I did nothing before... No exercise at all and it was terrible! I took a break when I needed to but pushed myself harder every day. I didn't give up and lost 16lbs and 6inches off my waist on my first round. I went on vacation and put 5lbs back on, started second round of insanity last week (was terrible again!) and have lost that weight, dropped a dress size and I'm already getting better.

Unless there's a medical reason I do t see why you can't start insanity. Just go as hard as you can't that's all the programme requires!
  • EWilliamson
    EWilliamson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    30 day shred by Jillian Michaels or ANYTHING by her :)
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing insanity, however as they say go at your own pace. I'm doing the P90x and I might graduate to insanity next year.
    Best advise is go at your own pace.
  • tshields27
    tshields27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Trust me there is nothing that can prepare you for that insane workout, but I loved it. The hardest, but most rewarding workout ever.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    I didn't train for it. Granted I used to run everyday before but Insanity.. NOTHING can prepare you for it. It is literally insane.
    Just push yourself, Shaun T is awesome and is a great motivator in the videos.
  • AnnKneeNorth
    Options
    I didn't do anything prior to Insanity, know that unless you have some sort of medical condition, you can do it! I seriously was out of shape and it hurt so much the first week, but I kept going. Believe in yourself and work at your own pace. Shawn T is a great support in the videos, just watch and you will see:)
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Take a look at RevAbs from BB also. It's a 90 day program split into two 45 day phases. Depending on your progress you could try Insanity after the first phase.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else, there's nothing that can prepare you for it. I say jump right into it and do your best. I jumped right into P90X, I'm bringing it but know in time I can do better.. Good luck!
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Did some hiit style workouts for about 8 weeks going into it...along with some long cardio (kickboxing for me) sessions. Other than that work on your push ups, core and you should be good. First week of the first month (and second month) is the hardest. If you don't wash out in the first week, you should be able to stick through the program. Month 1 will prep you for month 2 and so on.

Should also mention if you want Insanity lite try Jillian Michael's Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. It's pretty intense and should you prep you pretty well. 30DS won't get you there as well as the above, imo.
  • AnnKneeNorth
    Options
    I didn't train for it. Granted I used to run everyday before but Insanity.. NOTHING can prepare you for it. It is literally insane.
    Just push yourself, Shaun T is awesome and is a great motivator in the videos.

haha!!! Didn't mean to say the same thing as you, sorry about that:)lol
  • AHudson06
    Options
    Yes 30 day shred is awesome! And it's cheap at Walmart =)
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I guess what I was after was...

If you could rate all the work outs from beginner to advanced, how would you do it?

Insanity, to me, seems like a program you would do when you're at the tip of your fitness level. I know that some people have started it out right off the couch, but... I still would like to know.

For me, the beginner workouts are anything Jillian Michaels and/or 10 Minute Trainer. Then, Chalene Extreme, then p90x, then possibly, Insanity, but I haven't tried all the programs yet. Thoughts?
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Unless there's a medical reason I do t see why you can't start insanity. Just go as hard as you can't that's all the programme requires!
    [/quote]

^^^Can't beat that advice!
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    From what I have seen, P90X would be after for me. Insanity is using your own body weight so it builds your muscles first then I would do P90X.

I know plenty of people who started with Jilian Michaels 30DS and other videos then did Insanity.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I did Turbo Fire to build up my cardio endurance and then did Rockin Body to get used to Shaun T's instructor style. Insanity is awesome...hard but awesome!
  • Berger2011
    Options
    I did nothing before and got right into it. I lost about 12'lbs and who knows how many inches(I did not measure before starting). It was grueling, but it pushed me the way I need to be pushed and I started round 2 today.
  • baoneill29
    baoneill29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I guess what I was after was...

If you could rate all the work outs from beginner to advanced, how would you do it?

Insanity, to me, seems like a program you would do when you're at the tip of your fitness level. I know that some people have started it out right off the couch, but... I still would like to know.

For me, the beginner workouts are anything Jillian Michaels and/or 10 Minute Trainer. Then, Chalene Extreme, then p90x, then possibly, Insanity, but I haven't tried all the programs yet. Thoughts?
    I did P90X and then right into Insanity. Insanity is a cardio program which uses high intesity intervals to blast the fat. Both programs are tough for people to first start out in, or for someone who is already fit. You can modify both to match your fitness level, that is what is so great about them. You go at your own pace, then make it harder on yourself the better you get! So, to answer your question, it could be for beginner or advanced....
  • aschmidt73
    Options
    You can start right on Insanity, just modify your first month to your own pace and what feels comfortable to you. After the first month you will be in better shape and can restart the first month and do the full 60 days of Insanity. Nothing is as insane as this workout but it is not hard to modify it to your own fitness levels to start out.
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I did 30 Day Shred first and just started Insanity but as long as you are willing to work at your own level of fitness you should be okay. Drink lots of water and stop to rest when you need to.