cholesterol levels too low?!

Options
i just got blood test results back from my doctor & found out my cholesterol levels are too low! i didn't even know that was possible?! well i haven't eaten fast food, drank alcohol, or smoked in years & i've also been a vegetarian for 20 years & vegan the past couple of years, all of which i know helps lower it. but it's kinda weird because i eat avocados, olive oil, peanut butter, nuts, seeds, etc & i exercise, so i am surprised... does anybody else have experience with this?

thanks, sarah

Replies

• cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    What are your numbers? Which numbers are too low? I used to run a cholesterol clinic for a group of cardiologists so if you tell me what they are, I can tell you if it is too low.
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol is also extremely low. Can't figure out why because I love red meat and milk ;-) The only problem that I have been able to find, well my husband found for me, is that having low cholesterol can inhibit the bodies ability to absorb Vitamin D there by making it hard to absorb calcium. I had my Vitamin D levels check and, low and behold, they were really low so I'm having to take supplements for that (I suggest if they didn't check those levels, to ask for that to be tested as well)

Other than that, everyone, the doctor and so forth, has told me your body makes cholesterol on it's own, and apparently we are just very good as using it!

Good to know I'm not alone out there :-)
  • sarahspeace
    Options
    well my LDL is 82, my HDL is 36, & my total number is 133. hopefully it's not too terribly low because i saw that low cholesterol levels can lead to anxiety, depression, strokes, heart attacks... it kinda freaked me out.

good to know i'm not alone! i think i can tell about the vitamin d not absorbing well, because i take a lot of vitamin d supplements and it doesn't seem to have the greatest affect on me. however when the sun is in season, i do notice i feel much better. unfortunately the sun is nearly nonexistent in the midwestern winters so that's why i take mad vitamin d supplements.
  • sprags
    sprags Posts: 56
    Options
    This was definitely my favorite topic in nursing school.

Cholesterol is produced in the liver (ours and animals')...therefore foods can only contain cholesterol if they are from an animal. Plant-based diets don't incorporate cholesterol. Usually your own body can balance that out, but it sounds like yours isn't doing that... I know you're Vegan, but fish oil and cow's milk can help if you go back to the vegetarian route. Hope that helps a little!
  • rrstucci
    Options
    Hi were they telling you that your total was low or your LDL which is the Good Cholesterol. I understant that exersize and fish oil can help this one.
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about no sun in the midwest. I'm in central Iowa and again am in a blizzard!
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    well my LDL is 82, my HDL is 36, & my total number is 133. ...

I think your LDL is okay, but I know your HDL is just a tad low. You want HDL above 40. Omega 3 and Omega 6 fats will increase your HDL.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Your LDL is perfect. The goal is to have it less than 90 if you can. YOur HDL is the problem. You need more good fats, more exercise, fish oils, niacin to up that number. A woman in her 20/30/early 40's should be above 50 and the higher the better. Otherwise you are fine.
  • sarahspeace
    Options
    right on. i guess i need to get back on my omega supplements and trying to exercise more consistently. it definitely does feel liberating to be pro-active about my health! thanks for all your responses! :o)

p.s. i live in indy & we have blizzards here too ugh. i grew up in iowa tho, so i know the weather is usually a lit bit more extreme there! stay warm!