New & Looking for Motivation/Accountability

Options
I too am a new member. Looking forward to having support along the way to stay motivated toward my goal. I will be 42 this year and just learned that my cholesterol is above normal. This is disturbing to me b/c I am fairly active. I play tennis and walk my dog daily. I have been wanting to lose my extra 20 lbs I gained after having two children for a couple of years now, but lack the motivation to "stick to the plan." I also know that I need to add more cardio and strength training to my exercise routine (tennis is not enough). I used to run, but suffered level 3 ankle sprain last May and still have difficulty running comfortably. Hence, I have made walking my dog my regular cardio (needless to say, not the same).

Replies

• ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have come to the right place! I love it here! And like you I have the weight to loss since having my children. Cheers Here is to YOU! :drinker:
  • Auwarter
    Options
    Hang in there! I am 44 and it is really hard to stay motivated....but MFP really keeps me on target. Best of luck!
  • Auwarter
    Options
    Hey how are things going with the weight loss? I have the twenty pounds to lose, too. Only have lost four.................since I joined.
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp! I have been here for a couple of weeks, and have really learned alot.
    First, log EVERYTHING you eat. Seems simple, but it is the best way to see what is going into your body.
    Second, eat your calories, even your exercise calories. Your body need energy to burn off the excess weight. You have to keep your body full of energy to work. If you eat too little, or are too strict in your diet, your body starts protecting itself from starvation...and you won't lose weight.
    Third, log EVERTHING! :laugh: It works.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I know how hard it is to keep up the running after a sprain like that!! I had a level 3 sprain about 3 years ago, I weighed 353# then, did everything that the dr said and still have a hard time running long distances! He said it would never be the same! I go in for cortisone shots every 3-6 months. I know you can do it!! Hang in there :smile:
  • GoodGollyMolly
    Options
    Thanks all! I have only lost one pound during my first 10 days, but I am enjoying the tracking of my food and exercise. I have had several days where I have been over in calories but it is nice to know where I am wasting calories or when I am not exercising enough. Tennis days are my best days as I am able to burn the most calories. I can't seem to get into the home DVDs. I have a couple of yoga and pilates DVDs but I motivated enough to put them in. I also walk my dog a lot. I actually tried running a little bit the end of last week, but am still too uncomfortable (limp in my gate). I am able to play tennis b/c I have a brace I wear that protects me and it is not constant pounding. Tonight is a good night...I actually have one calorie left...but had two glasses of wine and a dark chocolate bar! Unbelievable! Now I just have to keep from getting bored so I don't eat. Good night all.