Getting fit after Chemo for Breast Cancer..UK

Options
Hi All

After surviving Breast Cancer, chemotherapy and radiotherapy last year, I am now on 5 years of Tamoxifen ( anti-oestrogen) medication.
My weight has slowly increased by half a stone in the last 6 months even though I am more active. I have always had to work hard to keep my weight under control and wonder if anyone else has had the same problem and how they are coping.
I'm looking forward to being part a fitness pal and sharing ideas.

Bev x

Replies

• xannonz
    Options
    First of all, You have beat a beast! Well done, I work for a medical device company that deals with reconstruction after mastectomy's so I see first hand how awful that monster is! After you have claimed that victory, you can do any thing, You are welcome to add me and I will cheer you on, cause you deserve every bit of life that you want!
  • mdplopez3
    mdplopez3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on kicking cancers *kitten*! I don't know much about the medication you're on, is weight gain on of the side effects? If you can beat breast cancer shedding some pounds will be a walk in the park. Talk to a personal trainer at your local gym, they have some great insight. Good luck, you CAN do this!
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your victory, you have won a courageous battle! Now onto better days and better health! We are all going to help each other to accomplish our goals! Feel free to add me if you could use another fitness buddy :-)
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Hi Bev,

I'm 2 1/2 yrs in on Tamoxifen. Hate the stuff!!! But not a lot of choice, is there? My oncologist tells me that it doesn't make you gain weight, but it does make it more difficult to lose. Not so sure I believe him on the 1st part, definitely believe him on the 2nd :(. But the good news is...while it may be more difficult, it's not impossible! I'm just getting started here myself, I joined last year but never did much on the site, but started back up the first week of August. I had lost 6 lbs so far. Last week I gained one back but even better, I lost 4.5 in. overall just in the last week so I'm not minding that last pound making a reappearance.

Hang in there, girlfriend!
  • Needtobefitandslimagain
    Options
    *Bump
  • Hi, thanks for your reply... My Oncologist said Tamoxifen can cause weight gain initially and then it should even out otherwise everyone would be morbidly obese after 5 years! I agree it's much harder to loseweight since chemo and medication - a combination of drugs and menopause and an inactive 6 months.
    Apart from a really bad blip today ( see my post on walnut whips!!) I'm motivated to lose the excess and get fit again.

Will keep in touch.
    Bev x
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    After what you've been through, my dear...you deserve a walnut whip or two (or maybe a couple more). One off day is not going to make or break your overall success. For this to work you have to treat yourself once in a while, right? Otherwise, staying in for the long haul would be pretty rough going.