obvious foods to avoid??

Options

Replies

• ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key. I agree the list you put is something you shouldn't eat daily - due to lack of nutrition. It is high in fat and doesn't have much good. I don't agree you should avoid it for life, though. That's how people "break diets".... they eat a "bad" food and the day ends up being a "cheat" day.

Foods I try not to eat often:

Nutella (makes me feel sick, and I always seem to eat a bigger portion than I should... its addictive.)

Cream Cheese Wontons( so greasy, they might taste good for a minute but then it doesnt make me feel too energized.)

iHops huge pancakes topped with all that sugary stuff.... lol. (last time I went there I split the plate in half and had a 300 calorie meal...it wasn't horrible! but I still don't prefer eating that too much)

Donuts - they make me feel crappy after. I feel so much more energized if my breakfast has some whole grains, proteins, and good fats.

Cake. The only cake I truly like it carrot/spice cake. All other cakes aren't worth the calories =P I'd prefer just ice cream on my birthday.

I don't have a huge list... i just try to watch my portions on any "junk" foods that I like. I can't deprive myself.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

All of the above and Candy, flour, cakes, anything fried, pasta, ice cream! and as much as you can fast food ... there is a reason why we are on a diet, right? so these foods are the ones that got us in trouble, it's very hard to avoid 100% so if you must have it, have half and log it! i can guaranteed you don't like it as much when you see how many cals has cost you....

I do agree that you can make a healthy burger at home, and there are pretty decent ones out there too, you just need to find them and make the better choices, you can have the burger, take one of the breads off, no mayo, no cheese, with that you already took off 200 - 300 calories .. i think that if you eat homemade food you have a better control of your diet, you know what you put in the food

I think this is where it starts to fall under the "each to their own" heading. Pasta did not make me fat. Cake did not make me fat. Cheese, fried food and ice cream did not make me fat. Eating too much food made me fat. I'm still going to eat food that I like, even if it's high in calories or fat. I just won't have too much of that kind of food, and I'll have more of the really nutritious foods. I'm all for tweaking things to have a healthier balance, but that's where portion control comes in. In this thread alone you can see a wide disparity between what different folk consider "healthy". The beauty of calorie counting is that you can fine tune your diet to suit your own personal tastes/ideologies.
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    none... everything in moderation.
  • Moveit80
    Moveit80 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Everything in MODERATION. I disagree about the Indian food. That's my all time favorite and it's natural compared to a lot of other things you can get. Love the spiced skinless boneless chicken breast and the spicy sauce they make. I've gotten it a lot before and has never hurt me. It's a lifestyle change not a diet. You're allowed to enjoy yourself. Just have control, and don't forget about fruit! :D
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    It's okay to have a F***ing cupcake every once in a while, folks. Let's be real... the reason most of us fall off the bandwagon is because we get rid of ALL of the food we love. Every Friday, i let myself have something fatty, and it keeps me going. Disagree or agree. :)

Agreed. There's no way I could say "I will never have____(insert food I love)____ again as long as I live." I don't limit anything completely. I just eat it in moderation.
  • frayedfotos
    frayedfotos Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Dont deprive yourself! Make it yourself! You will gain new respect for Indian and chinese cusine if you attempt to make it yourself, take out is so easy and full of fat and salt. The big thing to avoid is processed food with stuff you can't pronounce and unnecessary sugar. Of course moderation is key. Lite/Light foods are not satisfying and have garbage in them you dont want to eat (I make an exception for dairy 1or 2% instead of whole and part skim shredded cheese) I have given up juice and replaced it with whole fruits and teas. I don't deprive myself of beer or choke down ****ty light beer, I make up for beer consumption at the gym (or kayacking\biking) earlier in the day or the day after. Fill up on vegetables and snack often to prevent overeating the high calorie stuff.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'd say the obvious ones to avoid are the ones you have a hard time eating in moderation. So it's different for everyone. I can't have cheese in the house because I always eat too much.

I have always been the same with cheese - I actually forced myself to learn to eat cheese in moderation so that I would not have to give it up. I have been able to do that.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I eat edamame nearly every day.

WHAT A FATSO
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'd say the obvious ones to avoid are the ones you have a hard time eating in moderation. So it's different for everyone. I can't have cheese in the house because I always eat too much.
    This and only this. Otherwise, enjoy life! And you can even have some of these foods if you're careful -- single serve packages or when you're eating out or something.

I eat foods I love. I plan for the ones higher in calories and they are a treat.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

What's wrong with soy???

Nothing unless you have an allergy or intollerance or eat too much of it.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein-full-story/index.html#soy

•Eat soy in moderation. Soybeans, tofu, and other soy-based foods are an excellent alternative to red meat. In some cultures, tofu and soy foods are a protein staple, and we don’t suggest any change. But if you haven't grown up eating lots of soy, there's no reason to go overboard: Two to 4 servings a week is a good target; eating more than that likely won't offer any health benefits and we can’t be sure that there is no harm.

It's anti-nutritive if it isn't fermented.

Spend a few minutes doing some research, and you won't want to eat soy again.

Eat meat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i don't completely avoid anything. I have pretty much quit drinking sodas, but I had one last week as a treat. Everything in moderation.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Now there's another one that I avoid. I think it tastes nasty.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    anything deep fried!

I'd have to agree with those who said pizza as well (its a trigger food for me and I don't do 'moderation' well with that!)
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options

What's wrong with soy???

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein-full-story/index.html#soy

•Eat soy in moderation. Soybeans, tofu, and other soy-based foods are an excellent alternative to red meat. In some cultures, tofu and soy foods are a protein staple, and we don’t suggest any change. But if you haven't grown up eating lots of soy, there's no reason to go overboard: Two to 4 servings a week is a good target; eating more than that likely won't offer any health benefits and we can’t be sure that there is no harm.

Eat meat.

I've been looking into almond and rice milk for just these reasons. Got any suggestions for getting calcium for those with milk allergies?

Edited for spelling.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Urgh, just eat it all! Cheese is my downfall...

But I wouldn't stop eating anything, I'd just cut down. It's getting to that time of year where there's parties and meals out so ill be sticking to my healthy eating day in day out but having what I fancy when I go out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

What's wrong with soy???

Eat meat.

Give me a good reason to think the good folks at the Harvard School of Public Health haven't already done the research and maybe I'll spend my time seeking out and reading study after study and review after review of those studies.

But probably not, since I've been drinking and eating soy for decades while remaining healthy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Now there's another one that I avoid. I think it tastes nasty.

Mmm, I love edamame. I keep a bag of Seapoint Farms wasabi flavored dry roasted edamame in my office at all times desk for snacking. In fact, I'm eating some right now.
  • dalana84
    dalana84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Both beer and burgers contain a ton of calories and the burgers have a ton of fat and limited nutrients as well. I say definitely on the avoid list. Also anything processed is not optimal for good health or weight loss. I stick with whole foods, as close to they come from the ground is the BEST for optimal health and weight management :)

a fresh burger, with lean beef, and some veggies on it has limited nutrients?
    please go.
    :flowerforyou:
  • careyannal
    Options
    I'd say anything fried. The calorie difference in something fried vs broiled (fish) or grilled (chicken) or baked (potatoes) is huge! Fried food = not worth it! Plus, now that I've given it up, it kind of makes me sick to think about eating all that extra grease
  • LotusInTheSky
    LotusInTheSky Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For me, it is about getting rid of the things that I can't control my portions of - eg. Pizza (I will eat it all if it is there) and Twisties (evil little balls of crunchy deliciousness).

To the guy advocating more meat over eating 'dangerous' soy based on your 'research'. Seriously, what a joke. Sure, too much of anything is not good. But how about spending some time researching the studies on the negative health impacts that have been associated with eating meat, rather than freaking everyone out about their slice of tofu. I think if your concerned about the hormones in soy, but haven't considered the hormones and antibiotics pumped into animals to fatten then up - then you might have missed something.
    :/