Black Women and weight loss

Options
Hello!

I am a black female college student trying to loose weight. In the past couple of weeks I have only been able to budge the scale two pounds. Granted, I've had a few bad days of eating but.. *shrug*
Anyways, I have been told it is harder for black women to loose weight, I was wondering if anyone knew about this and had any advice for me.

Replies

• AlotOfSweatAndPain
    Options
    Why is it harder? The only difference is the tone of skin. Find out what your BMR is....eat less than that. It' simple.
  • nbrueggeman
    Options
    http://jezebel.com/5916125/when-it-comes-to-weight-loss-black-girls-dont-get-as-much-out-of-exercising

Obesity tends to be highest in the African-American community, and according to a study done by University of Bristol found it was more difficult for black women to loose weight. There is a huge genetic factor that plays into this. My friend has been able to loose 10lbs in two weeks, I have only lost two pounds.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    This isn't true, I've lost almost 50 lbs the same way everyone does...eating right and exercise. Focus on eating enough to maintain muscle mass and do some resistance training. I do sometimes feel that black women can look better at a higher weight than the same woman of another race at the same weight, but I think this is more due to genetics, muscle mass, bone density, and body shape...thus why a healthy BMI is a range of weights ( and not always correct, but unless you are an athlete or have A LOT of muscle mass should be accurate for you)

Good luck with your goals!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    There might be an environmental factor, as the typical black American diet is laden in salt and fat. Not sure about what black people eat in the rest of the world though.

Obesity is not caused by your race or the color of your skin, it is caused by overeating and not getting enough exercise. At the end of the day you have to learn to control those two factors. Once you do, you will lose weight.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Why is it harder? The only difference is the tone of skin. Find out what your BMR is....eat less than that. It' simple.

I think you meant TDEE, not BMR
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There might be an environmental factor, as the typical black American diet is laden in salt and fat. Not sure about what black people eat in the rest of the world though.

Obesity is not caused by your race or the color of your skin, it is caused by overeating and not getting enough exercise. At the end of the day you have to learn to control those two factors. Once you do, you will lose weight.

^^^agree w/ this
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You haven't "only lost two pounds" you have lost two pounds already! Its always so hard at first because you are adjusting to new eating and exercise. Stick with it a few more weeks and you may see that it comes off easier than you think. Don't let myths like that hinder your weight loss - you can it regardless of height, weight or race.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I don't there is anything genetically that makes weight loss more difficult for black women versus any other races.

I've lost over 60lb (and maintained it) by working out and watch my calories. The barriers to weight in my demographic seems to do with cultural and economic reasons.
  • Jalyst79
    Jalyst79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Don't let that be your excuse when it comes to weight loss. It is a hard journey for anyone overweight. It takes hard work and dedication and you have great advice from other black woman on this message board! Best of luck to you!! You can do this!!!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    wait, let me get out the "weight loss for black women" book...

All kidding aside, I agree with everyone else. You lose weight the same way as everyone else - you eat less than your burn. I might buy into the social, economic, demographic, etc., factors, but you aren't overweight because you are black. You are overweight because of your actions.

Actually, I find these posts slightly offensive.