Starting Over!

Options
Okay, so here I go... again!

I'm twenty-three and a full-time special ed preschool teacher, as well as a full-time grad student. I've got 2 upcoming weddings (Oct 6 & Dec 22) and I'm also the assistant basketball coach for my county's DD team. My brother plays on the high school football team here in southeastern Ohio and I'm in the stands every Friday screaming my lungs out for him. There are days I go 18 hours from when I leave my house in the morning til I walk in the front door that night.

I started this year off with the intentions of getting in shape.. and then didn't start it (typical of me and I'm sure many others). Then I was diagnosed with PCOS in April and kicked my butt into high gear.. for about 2 months. This summer I lost all motivation and gained 11 of my 20 lost pounds back.

So here I am again, bound and determined to make a permanent lifestyle change. Today I did something that I haven't done before.. I joined the gym, which means I spent my precious money on something so I HAVE to do it. It's nice because it's open 24 hours a day, so I can stop in after my grad classes (I get back to town around 10pm), or I have somewhere I can go on the weekends when I can't sleep and need to burn off some energy.

I also did something tonight that I haven't enjoyed doing since I was 18.. run. By run I realistically only jogged but it felt great! So between that and killing myself on an elliptical that I'm about 99% sure was stuck on 10 resistance, I'm feeling good about myself. Last night I threw away all of my junk.. no pop or fast food for a month! I know people preach moderation or you'll snap.. and I completely agree. But I've gotta jump start myself back into this and in a big way. Not eating fast food is going to be hard- I'm always on the go, so KFC and McDonald's drive thrus have been incredibly convenient. Oh well, I want this weight gone.. for good.

I struggle staying motivated.. all the time. I focus all of my energy on everyone else in the world instead of myself.. but this is for me. I need it. :)

Alright.. I think that's about all I've got time for this evening.. I've got a house to clean, homework to do, and picture schedules to make!! Join me on my journey to get fit once and for all!! :)

Replies

• lemmyhead
    lemmyhead Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I thought you might be interested in this challenge I am going to try during October, it might help with your goal to cut out the junk food! It's called "October Unprocessed" and the aim is to eat no processed foods - it really gets you looking into the hidden ingredients! The main rule or idea is that if you couldn't make it yourself, at home, then don't eat it!

http://www.eatingrules.com/october-unprocessed-2012/

There are heaps of people pledging to do it, and the blog has a facebook page too, so there will be heaps of ideas/support and discussion online!

I sometimes need these kinds of challenges that other people come up with to help keep me motivated, so thought I'd share it :-)
  • ablackst
    ablackst Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That sounds great!! Definitely checking it out, thanks :)
  • 1sneakykiki
    1sneakykiki Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I totally relate to your situation. I'm also a grad student working full time, and you're right -- when you finally leave work/school at 9pm, there aren't many healthy food options out there for you. Sometimes I find I'm too tired to cook, but too hungry to sleep!

I also regained weight I previously lost this summer, to the tune of 15 lbs. I got the first 4 lbs off easy by swearing off Blue Bell ice cream, but these last 11 lbs are going to be rough. Once you develop a palate for junk it's hard to switch back, especially when you're spread so thin, you know?

But I'm excited for you and your spirit of rejuvenation! Remember not to beat yourself up too much if you slip up for a day or two, and to keep your eyes on that -20lbs prize. You did it once and you can do it again!
  • ablackst
    ablackst Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy I'm not alone in this!! Some people tell me there's no way I'm as busy as I am with the job + school.. I love people that can relate!!

Thanks so much for the encouragement :) I know I'm going to screw up at times.. but I'm only human!! :) Good luck to you as well!