Those of you like me with a lot to lose...

Options
... how do you keep yourself motivated?

90+ lbs to lose seems really daunting to me. How do you make it manageable? Non-food treats when you hit certain weights? Taking it a step at a time?

Any tips greatly appreciated :)

K

Replies

• juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi!

About 3 years ago I started at the same place. I've lost 80 lbs so far and it took me almost a year. For the past 2 years, I've pretty much just been maintaining my weight but started MFP again to hopefully lose the last 10 or 15. I have to say that the non-weight related victories have been what kept me going. The look on someone's face when they see me for the first time after the weight loss, being able to fit into that little black dress and KNOWING that I look good, being able to run a race, going out with friends and not feeling like the "fat" friend etc. These are the NSV that make it worth while. Focus on how your life changes and not how much the scale changes :-) Good luck!! I know you can do it!
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I focus on increments of 10 pounds at a time...more manageable that way.
  • kendraleigh88
    Options
    10 pounds at a time for me.
    When I started @ 250lbs, I decided I wanted to lose 90+ and be down to at least 160lbs.
    10lbs works for me and when I hit the goals, I get really excited and happy all inside:) I think if I tried to do, say 25 at a time, I'd get angry and lose focus when it took longer to achieve.

Good luck!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I know it can seem impossible when you have a lot to lose. I still feel that way sometimes now but I am really trying to make myself over mentally and physically. I have wanted to lose weight for such a long time and I tried every quick fix or fad diet out there and obviously they didn't work. I was so focused on weight loss and not health that if the pounds didn't fly off I quit. I have been working really hard to retrain my brain and get rid of those old thoughts and habits that were keeping me down.

A few things~

As I said above, try try try try to look at it from a health stand point rather than a weight one. There are days I feel so tired and ick or pmsing and I want to flop on the couch and shut the blinds. There are days I weigh myself and nothing or it goes up a 1lb or 2 and I feel defeated. Regardless of that I workout. I tell myself that even if I don't feel like it or even if I don't see the scale move I will still strengthen my heart/lungs/muscles..........There will be days when you'll see a great loss and that gives you a kick to keep going but on the days that you need motivation just remember that EVERY LITTLE BIT WILL ADD UP!!!!!!! Usually after a good workout you'll feel better anyway.

Rethink your goals. When I started I said to myself I want to lose X amount of weight. That was such a huge and general goal. I felt like it would never happen. I decided to change my goals around. First, lose 10. Next lose 15 more. Ok did that now lets shoot for 20. Keep it small keep it realistic and once you hit it make a new goal. EVERY LITTLE BIT WILL ADD UP!

Get rid of all or none thinking! This is REALLY hard for me sometimes! You mess up one day, start over! You have a not so great meal, TAKE A WALK! You do NOT have to be perfect. Make small change YOU CAN LIVE WITH. Slowly and surely you will start to automatically makes better choices.

CELEBRATE! Drop 20 and buy yourself something pretty! Try new things! Push yourself just a little harder. Every pound you lose is a pound your body doesn't have to worry about EACH pound is important!

Realize that just cause you think weight loss is a certain way doesn't mean its true. So you want to lose 2lbs a week! That's great! If it happens just like that that would be amazing. What I mean by this is that some weeks you may lose 5lbs and some weeks you may not drop a bit! Weight loss is odd. It's not linear and if you expect it to be you might set yourself up for disappointment. That's why I say the times that you see no loss JUST KEEP GOING! It will come off!

Try things for yourself. There are a ton of tips on here but don't chalk it up to the written word. Some stuff works for me some stuff doesn't. Same for everyone!

Understand it takes time!

You will have to teach yourself a new way of doing things. I don't particularly avoid any type of food but I do watch my portions! I had no idea what a portion was before. Now I measure everything. Yes it takes me time but again I'm having to teach myself what enough really is. If you know you're going to be running all day set yourself up food wise so you're not at the mercy of fast food. Apple slices and peanut butter or a Cliff bar so you're not starving. Start to cook if you don't (I don't care for cooking but I'm quickly getting better at it! :wink: )

And lastly, never ever give up. You are worth good health! You are worth the time and effort this will take. In a year you'll be amazed!

So that's a lot of crap I know but those are the things that have helped me. If you have any questions or just want to chat feel free to message me!!!! All the best to you! :flowerforyou:
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I started in August of 2011 with 104lbs. to lose. But I just stayed focused and no matter how small the weight loss was, I would remind myself that it's still less than I was before. But if you keep at it, the losing is kind of it's own motivation. Once you hit -5lbs., you want to see -10lbs., and once you hit -10lbs., you want to see -15lbs., and so on, and so on...

I never treated myself with food, but I also never denied myself anything. I took the attitude that this is how I am going to eat for the rest of my life, and for the rest of my life I am not giving up Pizza, or Cupcakes, etc.... I just am super mindful of my portions, and I weigh and log EVERYTHING I EAT! I also incorporated exercise... I try and do something, even if it's just a walk around my neighborhood, everyday.

This mental state of mind got me through Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. I enjoyed some really amazing food, including mashed potatoes, Pumpkin Cheesecake, Chocolate Mousse, Champagne, delicious gourmet Cheeses, etc., etc., and I really didn't gain. I didn't lose, but that's okay. I hit 199.3 on 12/13/2011, and on 12/30/2011 I was 199, and on 01/10/2012 I was 197, so I would consider the Holiday Season a COMPLETE Success!

I am still 8 lbs. away from my goal, and my weight loss has slowed significantly (about .8 - 1lb a week), but I am getting there! Just stay committed to yourself! Believe me, wearing a size 8 is a much better reward than any cupcake, and feels so much better than the size 22 I was wearing last year!
  • divincenzo1
    Options
    I find focusing on small goals at first better....5 or 10lbs. (In my past successes) I like to reward myself sometimes as well...like if I get to 10 hmmm maybe I'll buy that new gym bag or purse I've wanted. Then when you get discouraged look at what you've done so far on MFP and you won't want to throw away all the hard work :)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I also prefer my MFP ticker to show the pounds lost instead of the pounds to go...for me it seems more encouraging to report my progress then it is to see the big number I have to lose in front of me. So in your case doing some quick math, it would say 5 lbs lost instead of 94 lbs to go.
  • cherryberry2x4
    Options
    I have a chart on my fridge numbering every pound i have to lose from 230 to 130. When I lose a pound, I get a euphoric high just from being able to cross that pound off with my red marker. It symbolizes a death to that pound lol. This method motivates me to work harder to lose that next pound. I've lost 34 pounds this way so far and I won't stop now. Fat beware! lmao
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Find what your true motivations are for losing weight, and use that as fuel to keep you going.

I wanted nothing more in this world than to have children. When I felt like having a treat - I'd tell myself it was holding me back from that goal. (Whether true or not - it kept me going)

I lost over 100lbs before I got pregnant, and once my lil girl is born, I plan on losing about 50 more.

Its difficult to get the ball rolling, but to be honest, I had become SO ADDICTED To the exercise. If I missed a day at the gym , the day felt incomplete. Now I love the challenge of running farther, faster, longer. I love liftingheavier and more reps. Its such an accomplishment.

So though it may be rough in the beginning, stick with it. I think it took me about amonth to get totally hooked on it.

I still eat treats, I have a cheat day once a week, and dont deprive myself when I Really want something. Its learning about proportion and frequency of the bad things.

EDIT:
    I also set mini goals for myself. With each mini goal I would give myself some sort of reward (new clothes, tattoo, running shoes.. etc)
  • bedeeda
    Options
    I never treated myself with food, but I also never denied myself anything. I took the attitude that this is how I am going to eat for the rest of my life, and for the rest of my life I am not giving up Pizza, or Cupcakes, etc.... I just am super mindful of my portions, and I weigh and log EVERYTHING I EAT! I also incorporated exercise... I try and do something, even if it's just a walk around my neighborhood, everyday.

This mental state of mind got me through Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. I enjoyed some really amazing food, including mashed potatoes, Pumpkin Cheesecake, Chocolate Mousse, Champagne, delicious gourmet Cheeses, etc., etc., and I really didn't gain. I didn't lose, but that's okay.

^^Exactly what she said! I've lost almost 60 lbs since March and I don't deprive myself. I don't go overboard like I used to though. If I am at an event I will have a small bit of yummy things instead of eating a lot and make healthier choices to fill up on. If I want pizza I work it into my day's calories! If I indulge, so be it. I don't beat myself up anymore. I started at 387 lbs and am at 333 lbs. I still have about 100 to go. I do it in 10 lb. increments, look forward to getting under the next mark. Good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend if you need encouragement :-D
    ~Belinda
  • kendramwoodruff
    Options
    I focus on small increments and per Dr. Oz, I have a cheat day. So if i have a craving during the week, I will say i would have whatever I craved on my cheat day (usually Saturday). And if i still crave it that day, I eat it. It tricks your metabolism, so it won't get use to the same things. Also, I like to switch things up every month. Try new workout routines and activities so it won't be so monotonous. Good luck! You can do it! :smile:
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have a good 120 pounds to lose. I have been very on/off the wagon lately, but I'm getting more serious about all this now. 120 is a huge number to look at as losing weight, so I chose to think 10 pound increments. I haven't made exact rewards for certain weights yet, but down the line I for sure have iFly on my list. I don't think I'll use food or meals as a reward because I'm not restricting myself. Because this is a life style change, I really want to still be able to eat the things I do now in the future. "Everything in Moderation" is how I have been rolling lately. And as long as you record, everything should go well.

Feel free to add me if you need anothe friend for support! =D
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 180 pounds....I honestly believe you just have to make a decision that you have to do this and its for life. Even once at goal you will still need to exercise and eat well...just remember...progress is progress....no matter how slow or fast :)
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't ever look at how much I have to loose. I look at what I've lost. You have to make small goals and turn things into a positive light. If I told myself I had to lose 85 pounds when I started, I don't think I would have made it this far.