Pasta substitute?

Options
So I went to the doctor today, and she told me that I need to cut out the carbs, especially pasta. *Cries* Pasta is my ultimate weakness and downfall. So I guess it's good that she wants me to cut down on that, but at the same time I know it's going to be rather difficult.

Does anyone have any good substitute ideas for pasta that will satisfy that craving? Or brands of pasta that you use that are whole grain? (I have to stay away from whole wheat pasta).

Thanks! :)

Replies

• _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Shiritaki noodles! My mom turned me on to them--they are in the refrigerated section (of the natural food section of the store) and though they aren't an exact replica of pasta noodles, are really close and have zero (or close to zero) carbs and calories.

They come in different sizes (think spaghetti or fettuccine) and we've used them in both Asian and Italian dishes. Hopefully you can find some in your area--I highly recommend them!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    spelt pasta :)
  • jojo98mu
    jojo98mu Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't subsitute grain products for other grain products personally. So for meat sauce, I put extra veggies in with it, or pour it over veggies; such as, spaghetti squash, eggplant, zuchini, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, or just about any veggie. Many veggies can be shredded so it seems like pasta.

I'm so happy to hear that there are some doctors who are catching on to healthy nutrition. They don't learn much in school about it.

I don't find avoiding pasta, or any grains, difficult at all. The health benefits are amazing.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    shirataki.jpg

^.^
  • pigbopa
    pigbopa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash, I tried it for the first time this weekend and it was pretty good.
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Grated zucchini
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I also use the shiritaki noodles, I've never used them for Italian dishes though, always Asian ones. There is actually a great topic in the forums about them, and about 'dry frying' them first, it really improves on the texture!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Sliced zucchini or eggplant (Can't tell at all in lasagna). Spaghetti squash for spaghetti type meal.
  • cookingcow
    cookingcow Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Shiritaki noodles! My mom turned me on to them--they are in the refrigerated section (of the natural food section of the store) and though they aren't an exact replica of pasta noodles, are really close and have zero (or close to zero) carbs and calories.

They come in different sizes (think spaghetti or fettuccine) and we've used them in both Asian and Italian dishes. Hopefully you can find some in your area--I highly recommend them!

Yes! I LOVE these "noodles"!!!! With some of my home made spicy chipotle creamy marinara.... Yumm...
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

Same here. I find mine at Clark's. Oh, and I always dry fry them to get rid of the excess moisture.
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash, I tried it for the first time this weekend and it was pretty good.

Spaghetti squash will give you the look and feel of pasta. I made some up for friends with a sauce made of fresh tomatoes, eggplant, carrot, onion, garlic, peppers, celery, worcestshire, black pepper, cayenne, (simmered for hours) and a bit of parm, and they never figured out it wasn't real pasta!
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    cut up zucchini into ribbons and saute them for a few minutes. they are seriously delicious!!
  • wcrathbun
    wcrathbun Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a pasta lover too! Try this recipe...It's a great sub for pasta and it's low calorie! :)

Chessy Spaghetti Squash

1 medium spaghetti squash
    1/4 C water
    1 T olive oil
    2 C sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 medium red or green sweet pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    1 1/2 C purchased tomato based pasta sauce
    1 C shredded part-skim mozzarella

-Halve squash clockwise; remove seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a microwave-safe 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Add water. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 13 to 15 minutes or until squash is tender when pierced with a fork, rearranging once for even cooking. Drain and set aside to cool.
    -In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
    -Preheat oven to 350. Using two forks, shred and separate the squash pulp into strands (you should have about 3 C). Wipe out baking dish; coat with nonstick cooking spray. Spread half of the squash in the prepared baking dish. Add half of the mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and black pepper. Top with half of the pasta sauce and cheese. Top with remaining squash, mushroom mixture, and sauce.
    -Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Back about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts: (per serving)

Calories: 170
    Total Fat: 7g (3 g sat. fat)12 mg
    Cholesterol: 12 mg
    Protein: 8 g
    Carbohydrate: 21 g
    Fiber: 2 g
    Sodium: 350 mg

Hope you enjoy it as mush as I did! :)
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options