High sodium diet?

Options
Anyone else on a high sodium diet? Also, does anyone know if it's possible to edit our daily allowance for sodium? I hate seeing all that red.. Lol. Thanks!

Replies

• tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have to keep my sodium levels higher than most due to low bp. On your homepage, if you click on goals, then custom goals, you can increase your sodium number there. Hope this helps!
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've not heard of a high sodium diet? How does that work for you and what kinda of sodium (low cal packaged foods? extra salt on dishes?) I tend to keep mine low because I retain like crazy and it's uncomfortable. Genuinely curious :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I had a dog once that had addison's disease and we had to give him a teaspoon of salt everyday along with the pills he needed. But other than that I've never heard of a reason for a person to have to have a high sodium diet.

Did you just mean that you happen to eat a high sodium diet and rather than cut the sodium you just want to raise the limit on MFP?
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have to keep my sodium levels higher than most due to low bp. On your homepage, if you click on goals, then custom goals, you can increase your sodium number there. Hope this helps!

Thank you! I use the app mostly, not the website, so I didn't see that area. Thanks a lot! Oh, and yeah.. I need it for my bp as well. I sure get sick when it drops too low.
  • PamelaKuz
    Options
    I have a disorder that causes orthostatic hypotension. (a severe drop in blood pressure when changing position.. Eg-standing from sitting). I take medication to increase my blood pressure and it works by increasing my blood volume. To achieve this i need to eat over double the sodium recommended, along with extra fluids. So yeah, I'd like to change my limit in the app so I don't have to see all that red. ;)
  • PamelaKuz
    Options
    Oh, and I get the extra from pure sea salt. I either dissolve it in something, or if I'm feeling faint i'll eat a spoonful and down a huge glass of water and I'm good. I'm trying to cut out packaged foods.
    I've not heard of a high sodium diet? How does that work for you and what kinda of sodium (low cal packaged foods? extra salt on dishes?) I tend to keep mine low because I retain like crazy and it's uncomfortable. Genuinely curious :)
  • PamelaKuz
    Options
    Yup, I'm on the same stuff. Lol. I used to call them my dog pills because my neighbours dog took the same ones. ;)
    I had a dog once that had addison's disease and we had to give him a teaspoon of salt everyday along with the pills he needed. But other than that I've never heard of a reason for a person to have to have a high sodium diet.

Did you just mean that you happen to eat a high sodium diet and rather than cut the sodium you just want to raise the limit on MFP?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's actually really interesting. I'd never heard of that before. While I'm sure it absolutely sucks to have the disease there's a teeny part of me that's a bit jealous that you are required to have a lot of sodium. I have always been a salt fiend, I used to eat seasoning salt straight and drink soy sauce from the jar. Or even just the pleasure of a baguette with some french butter and a sprinkling of fleur de sel. *sigh* But I get crazy bloated if I go over my sodium too much for even just one day, so I try to keep it low.

As for the sodium settings, that's already been answered, so you should be good to go. :)
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    A normal bp is 90/60 on a good day. That is with keeping my sodium up. I don't want to take meds, because as a catch 22, I also have a heart condition, so low bp is good for my heart, keeping pressure off my bad valve. I am the only person I know that wason high sodium, high magnesium diet while pregnant. My bp while pregnant was usually around 68/40. I got light headed, dizzy, and felt conpletely run down. I use sea salt because it is the best form of salt for you. I also eat as clean as possible, so the lack of processed foods creates a sodium challenge for me.
  • PamelaKuz
    Options
    It's a good thing that I'm a salt lover too. It's hard to cut out the bad salty stuff though, like chips.. Because I know I can use the salt, but I really don't need the fat! I couldn't believe when I started logging here how fast every day I'd go over on the sodium. There's no way i could stay under.
    Wow, that's actually really interesting. I'd never heard of that before. While I'm sure it absolutely sucks to have the disease there's a teeny part of me that's a bit jealous that you are required to have a lot of sodium. I have always been a salt fiend, I used to eat seasoning salt straight and drink soy sauce from the jar. Or even just the pleasure of a baguette with some french butter and a sprinkling of fleur de sel. *sigh* But I get crazy bloated if I go over my sodium too much for even just one day, so I try to keep it low.

As for the sodium settings, that's already been answered, so you should be good to go. :)
  • PamelaKuz
    Options
    Wow, sounds like we're in the same boat. Mine's 80/40 without my meds, and if I stand up suddenly it will drop so low that I pass out. Even if I don't pass out (when I take my meds right and eat enough salt) I feel so dizzy and sick. When I was pregnant it was a bit better, but not much. I stopped all meds when pregnant and my bp went up a bit naturally, but it was still low. I used to mix a few tbsps of sea salt in with Gatorade, you can't even taste it in there.. But now that I'm watching my cals I'm having issues eating enough. I usually end up eating a straight tablespoon full of sea salt and chase it with a huge glass of water.
    A normal bp is 90/60 on a good day. That is with keeping my sodium up. I don't want to take meds, because as a catch 22, I also have a heart condition, so low bp is good for my heart, keeping pressure off my bad valve. I am the only person I know that wason high sodium, high magnesium diet while pregnant. My bp while pregnant was usually around 68/40. I got light headed, dizzy, and felt conpletely run down. I use sea salt because it is the best form of salt for you. I also eat as clean as possible, so the lack of processed foods creates a sodium challenge for me.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reply hun, thats so interesting :) best of luck to you girl!