Anyone else IBS??

Options
13»

Replies

• GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Some things to try.

-1 tbsp of ground flaxseed on a good probiotic yogurt, like activia.
    -More water, esp when taking in more fiber.
    -More calories/nutrients. If you are malnourished your guts are going to try a get every ounce of nutrition from everything you eat, and will suck your poop dry trying to get it. Its really common in malnourished people.
    -If you dont like Miralax, try Milk of Magnesia with a tall glass of water.
    -More fat. A healthy leaning fat like coconut oil or omega 3 rich, flax seed oil.
    -Have a couple prunes with breakfast.
    -As a last resort, you may want to try a glycerine suppository to help soften the end. Not pleasant but it can help move things along.

Some people find a visit to the chiropractor can help get the bowel nerves communicating properly and help IBS.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I get probotics from my pharmacy. I ask for the ones they keep in the fridge.
  • kasam10s
    Options
    I've been taking a probiotic & 500mg of magnesium daily (as prescribed by my doctor). I drink tons of water, eat lots of fiber and use Miralax every once in a while. It does seem that my issues revolve around my menstrual cycle, so sometimes it seems like nothing helps. But since starting this regimen it has been better than it has been in quite some time.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your troubles :-( It must be tough trying to find a good balance with your food limitations. It's great that you have a dietician that can help you on the road to recovery! Regarding the IBS- C. I was wondering if you have ever tried pineapple and/ or pineapple juice? I find it to be very helpful! Try eating pineapple (one cup or more) then wait 20 minutes or so and follow it with a cup or two of hot water. It always makes my stomach feel so much better! You might try it on an empty stomach. I try to eat all of my fruit on an empty stomach for best absorption and least amt of gas/ bloating with my IBS. If it works, start your mornings this way and see if you can bypass some of the constipation. I normally eat carb breakfasts anywhere after 20 minutes post pineapple but I wait an hour post pineapple, if I am having a protein breakfast. Sounds strange but... it is my perfect medium after years of trial and error. If you aren't a fan of pineapple you might try papaya enzymes. You can find them in the vitamin section, health food sections or GNC type storefronts.

I would definitely get on the pro biotic wagon, they go a long way in a rather short time to heal the gut. I prefer the refrigerated brands found at the pharmacy or health food sections. They are said to have more of the beneficial "living" bacteria. I have also used brands like "Align" or "Sustenex" at Costco or the grocery store. I think they help but I think it takes a bit longer than the refrigerated form. I buy my little boy "Florajen4Kids" which contains 6 Billion live cultures per capsule. He has IBS- D. I know that there is an adult version of Florajen as well.

Best wishes! I hope you feel better soon :-)
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Try eating lots of fiber in your diet.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Oh and I can't be vegetarian because I have a thyroid disorder that keeps me from being able to eat soy.

If you don't want to be a vegetarian just because you don't fancy giving up the taste of meat, then just say so.

Heavily insulted by this comment. I work with a dietician and am recovering from an eating disorder. Because I can't eat soy and have other dietary restrictions due to a stomach surgery gone wrong I can't be a vegetarian. I am beyond an animal lover and now force myself to eat meat at least once a day. I have tried being vegetarian and every time get extremely sick. Can't take supplements/vitamins because of stomach issues so can't replenish nutrients don't get (B-vitamins mainly). Can't eat cheese and too much whey my body can't process. So please before you insult someone take a moment and think. Maybe re-read your post before you press submit. Think..."Would I want someone to say this to me"

To be fair you did not state other issues as to Why you couldn't be vegetarian so I hardly think you be that insulted when you didn't give much explanation besides "I can't have soy".
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Oh and I can't be vegetarian because I have a thyroid disorder that keeps me from being able to eat soy.

If you don't want to be a vegetarian just because you don't fancy giving up the taste of meat, then just say so.

Heavily insulted by this comment. I work with a dietician and am recovering from an eating disorder. Because I can't eat soy and have other dietary restrictions due to a stomach surgery gone wrong I can't be a vegetarian. I am beyond an animal lover and now force myself to eat meat at least once a day. I have tried being vegetarian and every time get extremely sick. Can't take supplements/vitamins because of stomach issues so can't replenish nutrients don't get (B-vitamins mainly). Can't eat cheese and too much whey my body can't process. So please before you insult someone take a moment and think. Maybe re-read your post before you press submit. Think..."Would I want someone to say this to me"

I'd be interested to know why you can't be a vegetarian whilst recovering/suffering from and eating disorder. I had an eating disorder for 12 years, and was vegetarian the whole wa through; both suffering, recovering, and being recovered. As the previous poster said, I don't eat soy, and I've been vegetarian for 18 years. Bullcrap.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    @ Jesse1992uga, I bet you are well aware that every body is different~ what works for some simply won't for others. You have nothing to defend! You seem to have a good idea about what you can and cannot do for your own unique circumstances. Soy, no soy. Vegetarian or not. Keep your chin up and continue on with your dietician. It seems to me you asked about issues with regularity/ IBS- C anyway. Everyone has had some great tips for you to try. I'm going to try to remember some myself! I think the fact that you are being so analytical about your approach with your dietician says a lot about your desire for a positive outcome!

My sister was IBS-D and became a vegetarian over a year ago. She absolutely loves it and can't say enough about how good she feels however, now she has taken a sharp turn and is considered IBS-C with her new eating habits. IBS doesn't decide whether to pick on carnivores or vegetarians, Lol! Gosh, if it did, I would choose the lifestyle without the IBS even if I could never eat meat again! I am just wired that way. :bigsmile: I hope you can find the answer you are looking for, it can sure be a miserable issue to deal with. Again, best wishes, I hope you feel better soon!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    drnatura.com
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    So ever since I have been changing my diet I have had horrid constipation and have tried literally everything. Went to GI doc and he diagnosed me with IBS constipation subtype. Anyone else have this. He put me on Miralax and it's been three days and I just don't feel empty. This keeps me feeling sick to my stomach and then I have no appetite so I would prefer this to go away. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't have IBS, but I'm going to recommend a book from someone that did and changing to a raw food diet changed his life. I have done 100% raw for a while and now I do more of a 50%-75% raw. But when I'm feeling like I'm not getting enough, I will juice some good veg and drink it.

The book is Paul Nisson's Raw Food Formula for Health...its really good (I have it and a few others):

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Formula-Health-Paul-Nison/dp/1570672164 http://healthwatchman.com/

Here are some other useful sites:

http://drleonardcoldwell.com/

http://www.thebestofrawfood.com/

http://www.rawfoodart.com/www.ShelleyAbegg.com/Raw_Food_Recipes_-_Raw_Food_Diet_-_Raw_Food_-_Raw_Food_Art_-_Home.html

I also took a 12 week online class from Nomi -- http://rawgourmet.com/
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sure does :) Thanks for the concern. Not going to share my height and weight on here but will let you know I am trying to gain weight and am working with a dietician. I eat a plan based off of exchanges instead of calories now but use MFP for support.

I don't think I look dangerously thin at all, but sometimes its helpful when people point it out. Puts things in perspective for me.

Btw, I appreciate the feedback but I really want to know if anyone has used Miralax and how long I should give it to work.

I also suffer from IBS with smilar sysmptions to you as well as other gastro problems.... When I was seeing a dietician as I was struggling to eat and my system was slow I felt full and sick all the time... She advised me to stop eating wholemeal bread and buy white bread as my body was strungling with too much fiber, to eat porridge for breakfast even if just a few spoons, to never eat cold or reheated potatoes or rice (something to do with the starch). This is just a few things I changed and really helped me recover.

I strongely advise speaking to your dietician about your IBS as he/she can really help along side your current plan. Once you crack it you might not even need the meds.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • cpsoroff
    cpsoroff Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and it sure can be uncomfortable. I find that if I take just a couple of teaspoons of flaxseed with warm water at night. My bowels empty more easier in the morning. If I am stressed or away from home, I really seem to have more of a problem. Anyway if you can, give the flaxseed a shot and see how it works for you!! I have never taken any meds for this, just learned to control it.
  • shayna_w
    shayna_w Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im fructose intolerant which horrifically gives me challenges with constipation. Ur on the right track. Work with that dietician. Try a miralax "flush" which my gi doc has me do when im having a bad flare. Mix 32 oz Gatorade with 3 servings of miralax. Helps me
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried a salt water flush? They work very well for me.This site has everything you need to know: http://rawfoodswitch.com/detox/perform-salt-water-flush-cleanse-colon/
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have ibs. Meds never worked for me (or I didn't like them) because they only treat the symptom, not help change the cause. I eat all-natural pure psyllium husk fiber (Trader joe's sells it) every morning and my ibs went away. Ibs is also very much related to stress, and cutting as much stress as possible from my life has made a huge difference. Of course avoiding or bring faced with stress is often not our choice, but choosing to let the stress go from our lives (through prayer, meditation or other method that works for you) really helps.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and have not had many issues with it since changing my diet. I eat very few processed foods, no 'white' (rice, bread,ect), drink lots lots lots of water, lots of veggies. I agree with those people suggesting looking into gluten intolerance for you as well. I don't have that problem but a few of my friends do. Oh, and I don't drink cow milk, just goat milk. I hope you find what works for you.
  • ashmhen
    ashmhen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me less fats, more fibre (Metamucil) and gym helped heaps! Oh and heaps more water, I was told to have at least 1.5 l more with Metamucil