Depressed about "dieting"

Options
Anybody know the feeling? Maybe it's because I'm lacking sleep and motivation, but having to track all my calories and keep them in check everyday is kinda taking a toll on me. Yes, in a way it feels obsessive. Especially since I already have anxiety (social) and pressure I put on myself everyday to try and face certain expectations, it's tiresome. But is it worth it? I need more input. Like for instance how long have you done Myfitness, because I have done it in the past and ended up deleting the app because I didn't want the constant guilt or thought process added to the regular everyday stresses. Idk I'm having "one of those days."
Encouragement, ideas, thoughts?

Replies

• kristin329
    kristin329 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the same way. I'm getting sick of it and depressed but really don't want to give up.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I felt like this for a while when I came back to MFP. I reached my goal weight, stopped logging for a while, then decided I wanted to lose a few more pounds and started logging again. For some reason the second time around it felt a lot more restrictive and really got me down. I got through it though, and so can you! Are you eating enough? One problem might be that you have your calorie goals set too low. Make sure you are eating above your BMR and that will allow you to be a little less hard on yourself. You got this, and it IS worth it!
  • sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am lately because I am not seeing results like I was. But I keep within my calories, so its very frustrating
  • Pamlogan59
    Pamlogan59 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found it hard, irritating, time consuming to start with, but now I am so boring it has become part of my life! Lol 36lbs later I live it, enjoy it and love the challenge of exercising the calories off so that I can enjoy my glass or two of wine! It does get better, it is worth it, dig in!:smile:
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've changed my eating habits for about 11 months now, and I've been on mfp for only about 3/4 months.
    You have to decide for yourself, if it's worth it.
    I'm happy with the changes I'm seeing, and I will keep going until I reach and maintain my goals.
    Yes, there have been nights when I thought i went to bed hungry...but lo and behold...I survived.
    I think the biggest factor in seeing positive results is being truthful with myself when I log my food intake.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Well, you're not really over weight, if your ticker is the amount you are trying to lose.

Just make your healthy choices, and don't log if it stresses you out. We'll still be here if your pants start to get a little tight. Then you can come back and refocus for a while.

It shouldn't be a stressful event, and if it is, don't do it.

I have been on this site on and off for five years. Sometimes it's too much for me, too. So I get it. It is hard for me to stay the same weight without it though. It takes me about two minutes per meal to log my food, and it's worth it to me right now.

The forums and friends on the other hand take up way too much of my time :wink:
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I can't look at this as another diet or I'm setting myself up to fail..not doing that again. this is a lifestyle change and like writing in a journal or diary...this is what that is to me. I feel like it's my journal.
  • Ichristini
    Ichristini Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are. But this time, I want to lose the weight more than anything else. I don't mind any of it because it is working now! Since July 7 I have lost 30 lbs. It is all what you make of it! I have found that I cook dinner more now that I am cooking healthy recipes,

Good Luck, but only YOU can motivate You!
  • healthyliving4mee
    Options
    I felt like this for a while when I came back to MFP. I reached my goal weight, stopped logging for a while, then decided I wanted to lose a few more pounds and started logging again. For some reason the second time around it felt a lot more restrictive and really got me down. I got through it though, and so can you! Are you eating enough? One problem might be that you have your calorie goals set too low. Make sure you are eating above your BMR and that will allow you to be a little less hard on yourself. You got this, and it IS worth it!

I have it set for 1300. Lately, I've been skipping my lunch.
    I've also tried recipes on Skinnytaste.com, this stuff takes dedication, motivation, and energy.
    Right now my motivation and energy are pretty low, thus the post. Thanks for positive feedback!
  • martymays
    martymays Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way a lot of the time. I don't get sleep like I should, plus I already have clinical depression and anxiety issues. My job also wears me down emotionally. On the up side though, coming on MFP helps, because after I log everything, I get to come on the discussion boards and interact with folks like yourselves who are going through the same thing and understand. Hang in there. I feel sure that you will feel better.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I think the app is super fast... it takes maybe 3 minutes a day... and that's if I don't have a boring day.

I don't feel guilty if I go over. I just try to make sure that if I go over, it's either social reasons or because I was just honestly hungry...despite eating well.

Plus, looking/feeling great are worth the tiny bit of additional stress.

ETA: I've been on since July (I think that's what my icon says?) I took a month off in March because I was studying for oral exams and just plain didn't want to log or really even eat healthy...And there have been a couple 1 week breaks also, when I'm with my family.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I can't look at this as another diet or I'm setting myself up to fail..not doing that again. this is a lifestyle change and like writing in a journal or diary...this is what that is to me. I feel like it's my journal.

I agree with Lyssa62.

This is my second time with MFP and over 450 days later I like the interaction with my Pals who don't judge but who support.
    I love checking n everyday and and encouraging the people I consider to be more pen fiends than fellow dieters.
    We all have different goals, we all are different ages and different weights.

This is the first program I log on to and log off each day. I don't sleep well but these days (nights) I no longer get up and go looking for snacks in the kitchen I log on to MFP and see what my Pals have been up to all over the world.

My weight loss is slow, but I have gone down several clothes sizes, I am healthier and I even contemplated running in the summer.
    Due to ill health that didn't happen, but its something I'm working towards again, I have two shock absorber bras that need an outing lol!
    I have even bought gym equipment that I actually use because I'm logging my exercise daily.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    depression and anxiety. Yep I know that one
    but every day I score a green I feel great
    and if I'm not 250 over I don't feel guilty

extra joy when the scales move but the daily green is enough
    It helps to alleviate my anxiety to log each day and see how well i did.
    without this i would be anxious about every rumour about "bad" food

6 months now
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    get over it and JUST DO IT

to hell with everything else
  • healthyliving4mee
    Options
    OK, in response to my basal metabolic rate...which I never heard about until now. It calculated that if I wanted to keep my current weight I'd eat 2,015 calories. The website recommends if I don't have a lot of weight to lose for me to only take off 500 calories from that. I'm only knocking off 200 of that--but it also says to never go below 1,200 calories. So I'm still 100 cal's above that...
  • martymays
    martymays Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    get over it and JUST DO IT

to hell with everything else

This. I need to hear this when I get in this funk.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love MFP. I did weight watchers a few years ago and I hated having to track points and figure everything myself. With MFP I just enter what I eat and it keeps track of what I have left. Easy!! I love it! I don't love when I don't eat enough and have to find snacks to meet my calorie goal. i got fat eating when I was not hungry have decided not to do that anymore. if I don't hit my calorie goal - OH WELL!!!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

Yup - ^ ^ ^ this!

Studies have shown that one of the most effective tools for losing weight is keeping track of what you eat, so whether you use MFP or an actual hand-written journal it's a good habit to get into.

BUT - if you miss a day or two it's not the end of the world. Just like if you go over or under your calorie goals for a day or 2, it's not the end of the world. Just get back on track as soon as you can.

It's not a diet it's a lifestyle change, and that takes time.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    OK, in response to my basal metabolic rate...which I never heard about until now. It calculated that if I wanted to keep my current weight I'd eat 2,015 calories. The website recommends if I don't have a lot of weight to lose for me to only take off 500 calories from that. I'm only knocking off 200 of that--but it also says to never go below 1,200 calories. So I'm still 100 cal's above that...

thats a TDEE of 2015
    I reckon you're aiming for too few cals per day. really
    go back to 1515 or 1765
    you will be happier.
    more green days and still losing weight

i promise
  • healthyliving4mee
    Options
    My goal weight is 132 though, it set me on this plan so I wouldn't wanna up my calories randomly.
    Some days I have trouble finding enough nutritious things to eat already to fill the intake!