The week leading up to Tough Mudder or any big event?

Options
What should I be eating?! I keep getting conflicting opinions on the matter, from what I normally eat to carb fest. So suggestions? And what about after? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• OwenEvan
    OwenEvan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I have done a triathlon I make sure not to change anything the week before. The last thing I want to do it mix it up too much and get undesired results. The key for me has been to experiment with my diet during training so I know what will happen the day of. Due to the distance of the tough mudder (12 miles) it is important to carb load the day before. If I was doing a shorter mud race carb loading is not as important. After a endurance event it is important to replenish protein so you body will not break down muscle.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When I have done a triathlon I make sure not to change anything the week before. The last thing I want to do it mix it up too much and get undesired results. The key for me has been to experiment with my diet during training so I know what will happen the day of. Due to the distance of the tough mudder (12 miles) it is important to carb load the day before. If I was doing a shorter mud race carb loading is not as important. After a endurance event it is important to replenish protein so you body will not break down muscle.

Awesome, thank you! I didn't really experiment this time around but I definitly will before my next event. I think I carb loaded before my half marathon and it was fine but I remember having a hard time after and wasn't sure it it was diet related.
  • OwenEvan
    OwenEvan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Your welcome! Good luck with your event.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    if you've been training for it then the actual event shouldn't be too much different. So just eat what you normally eat.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I need all the luck I can get. The other dudes on my team seem hard core.

I've definitly been training, I don't see how one could contemplate doing an event like this without training, although I'm sure it happens.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you function. I tend to function better if I have a carb heavy day before the race and I take the day off work outs. I try to do protein heavy the week before and I also do more weights than cardio. I have a few friends who are IronMan triathletes who have also suggested cutting alcohol the week (or even two ) before a race. I have a race in about two weeks, and the week before I plan on cutting alcohol.