WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Hi guys! So I started logging my food with MFP 15 days ago. When I started here I was trying to do a low carb diet and yes I lost weight but was finding it hard to stick to just 20 carbs a day. So I decided to try MFP and just log my food. Now here I am almost three weeks later and I’ve been staying under my cal intake but I’m gaining weight. I try to work out at least three times a week. My food diary is public. Please can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong or if I need to continue to be patient. I want to be healthy and I need the scale going in the opposite direction!

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Diary isn't open.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    One thing you are going to want is more protein. You seem under on protein most every day.

How are you measuring your food? Do you use a food scale and measuring cups?
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    you are either eating too much or not exercising enough or a combination of the two. You may exercise 3 x a week but at what intensity and how long for?
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    I can't view your diary either, so this is a complete guess, but are you using MFPs default macro ratios? I think 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein is better. If its not that I would say not enough/not intense enough workout, or eating to much, or eating to little. Could be anything really without being able to look at your diary
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    If you're coming straight from a super low carb 20 carbs a day plan, you're likely getting the water back.

Open your diary, and try not to lose the faith!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    You would expect an initial gain in water weight after quitting low carb. That's part of why people like me think low carb is a bad idea unless you have a medical reason.

Damnit, Sabine beat me to it!
  • fabulessmommy
    fabulessmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Sorry i thought it was public. i've changed it now.
  • newCourtney
    newCourtney Posts: 168 Member
    You might try monitoring your sodium. It looks like you are eating a lot of processed stuff, which may be causing water retention. Other than that, I think the suggestion of making sure you are measuring food accurately is a good idea. Also try lowering your carbs to around 100 and try cutting out some of the grains. Get your carbs from veggies/fruits instead of breads.
  • fabulessmommy
    You would expect an initial gain in water weight after quitting low carb. That's part of why people like me think low carb is a bad idea unless you have a medical reason.

Do you know how long that would last or continue?
  • depending on the exercise, you may also be gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat! Have you been tracking measurements?
  • fabulessmommy
    depending on the exercise, you may also be gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat! Have you been tracking measurements?

No i decided to start doing that today.
  • morah29
    morah29 Posts: 107
    Drink more water........
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Not only did you go from super low carb to not low carb, you went to processed foods like woah, with some fast food thrown in.

Drink more water, track your sodium, eat cleaner, give it more than two weeks.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Hi guys! So I started logging my food with MFP 15 days ago. When I started here I was trying to do a low carb diet and yes I lost weight but was finding it hard to stick to just 20 carbs a day. So I decided to try MFP and just log my food. Now here I am almost three weeks later and I’ve been staying under my cal intake but I’m gaining weight. I try to work out at least three times a week. My food diary is public. Please can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong or if I need to continue to be patient. I want to be healthy and I need the scale going in the opposite direction!

Yipes! 20 grams of carbs a day is WAY too low. Some bad things happen when you take your carbs down that low--like ketosis--a toxic condition that is okay for a day or two but is a no-no long term. You need, at the very least, 60 grams just to keep your body functioning well (and you need to make very sure that the carbs that you are eating are healthy carbs like fruit and veggies). If you keep your carbs between 75-100 you will find it much easier to stick to and feel much better. I'll look at your food diary and see if I can help.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Water weight can take up to a week to go away. I remember one time my weight shot up 10 pounds in 2 days after the local fair!

Focus on lowering your sodium intake, drinking more water, and push on for a few more weeks and see how things go.
  • hbaby2
    hbaby2 Posts: 34 Member
    Honestly, looking back I should have followed this from the start!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Read and do the math on this to figure out exactly your calories. Then start eating "clean.". No processed foods. Also, I find 20g carbs way too hard. Since you tried the low carb, why not try lower carb instead? I have my macros set for 10% carbs, 30% protein and 60% fat. :). I'm finally getting over the plateau that I have been on for 5 mths. :)

Good luck!
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    I'm seeing a lot of fast food and processed food in the last week and a half or so. Also, a lot of your foods say "homemade." Did you actually put in the recipe for these? If not, you need to be careful. Someone's homemade item may be completely different from what you are eating.

One other thing is the sweet n low. I know it's zero calories, but there is some sugar in there. The actual sweet n low product is too fine, so the sugar acts as a carrier. In small amounts it's really negligible, but some days you have more than 5 packets of the stuff. I just think this is a lot. Go with either a creamer without trans fats, or the sugars. Try not to do both, and start to cut down on them too. I personally think one packet of sweet n low is entirely too sweet; I couldn't imagine three in one cup of coffee!

I agree with everyone else, give it more time, eat cleaner, and watch your sodium. :flowerforyou:
  • donnakcraig
    donnakcraig Posts: 23 Member
    go under sitting and add the count for salt. that is a real eyeopener.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

^^^

This. Give it time and drink your 8 glasses of water a day.
  • I'm no expert but.... I do notice that you seem to be "eating back" calories you've burned, I did this as well when first starting MFP but then after meeting with a dietitian, I've learned not to do that. So just because you've burned say 250 calories doesn't mean you have 250 extra calories to eat, you can't lose weight if you "eat back" everything you burn, so leave those calories alone
    As for the whole carb/sodium/protein intake things, I am lost, I set my calories where my dietitian and have left there and seem to being doing just fine. I do agree with increasing your water intake also.
    Good luck and feel free to add me if you like :)