Is there such a thing as being too fat to lift weights?

Options
I know that at some point I need to get off the treadmill and into the gym. At what point do I know that it's time? Is there such a thing as being too fat to lift weights? I know that building muscle leads to a higher metabolism and calorie burn...can I build muscle while still osing fat? Where will it be? under all the fat? On top of it? somewhere in the middle? I don't wanna be an oreo with a crunchy outside and a squooshie middle...soooooooooooooooooo confused :o/

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If you can get on the treadmill, you can lift weights. You will build muscle under the fat, and you will be able to put on muscle as you lose fat (to a certain point, anyway, eventually it will get trickier and you'll have to change things up). Pick yourself a program like Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting, and if you can, a few sessions with a trainer to check your form. Pick up heavy things and put them down again. Repeat and enjoy!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I would say start now. You will notice a change, of course if you have a lot of wieght to lose like I do it will be hidden under the fat. I can feel it though. I don't know if I have necessarily gained a lot of muscle but what I have definitely feels more toned and I am stonger than when I started. I do a lot of body weight exercises and dumbells. I am thinking about starting to lift heavier though. We shall see!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you are fat, then just walking is a form of strength training because you are lifting weight with every step. Try to start with some simple body weight exercises. For push-ups, I started by leaning into a wall, then pushing myself away from it. I kept doing it until I couldn't do anymore. Then when I was able to do 30, I started doing them on my knees on the floor. I am up to ten "girl push-ups" now.

Check out this link on getting started using your body's weight for strength training.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert. And I'm just starting out (about a month ago) seriously working my tail off. BUT - I do know that I feel much better whenever I strength train as well. It will help you achieve high levels of cardio - opening your muscles. Also, you burn a lot more calories by circuit training. I usually do enough treadmill to get my heart rate up. Complete a circuit of strength training. And the do some more cardio. Treadmill, bike, elliptical. I DO know that you are supposed to keep your heart rate up to burn calories - so as long as it's up - you burn.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    How funny, I was JUST reading my book (literally, 2 minutes ago) "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and it was talking about how cardio or aerobic exercises aren't as great for calorie burn as weights and calisthenics, and that it's an "option" to help lose weight, but not a necessity lol

Anyways... having read/said that, I'd say drop the treadmill and lift some weights. :) i JUST bought a new treadmill, so I certainly aint gonna give it up for good, but I'm not going to make walking/running my priority when it comes to exercise.

I'm 6'2", 320lbs, and I choose weights! No such thing as too fat to lift weights!

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    {snip}
    cardio or aerobic exercises aren't as great for calorie burn as weights and calisthenics, and that it's an "option" to help lose weight, but not a necessity lol

Truth! Strength training helps you burn fat even while sleeping because when in a calorie deficit, your body burns fat in order to have the energy to repair the muscles you use. Also, by using your muscles, it signals your body that they are needed and your body is less likely to burn muscle for energy. If you aren't strength training, part of the weight you will lose is fat and some will be muscle too.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as being "too fat to lift". Resistance exercise has a number of fitness and health benefit, as well ad assisting in weight loss. Don't be concerned about the "building muscle" part. At this that is not going to be the primary benefit-most people who carry a lot of fat have lots of extra muscle. You don't even have to lift that heavy at this point-12-15 rep intensities are fine. Pick 6-8 simple exercises involving large muscle groups (machines are fine) and get started tomorrow.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Nope......no matter how big you are you should do strength training.
  • butterflygurl89
    Options
    I know that at some point I need to get off the treadmill and into the gym. At what point do I know that it's time? Is there such a thing as being too fat to lift weights? I know that building muscle leads to a higher metabolism and calorie burn...can I build muscle while still osing fat? Where will it be? under all the fat? On top of it? somewhere in the middle? I don't wanna be an oreo with a crunchy outside and a squooshie middle...soooooooooooooooooo confused :o/

Have you ever seen the show "The Biggest Loser"? I don't know how much you weigh, but they have dozens of people over 400 lbs and they make all of them lift weights. Big ones, like 35 lbs. Even the girls! (I only lift like 5 to 8 lb weights. Haha). But yeah, you can totally do it. It will boost your metabolism, helping you burn more fat. And the muscle will grow UNDER your fat.
    You can and will build muscle while still losing fat. I think it's the best way to do it! Cardio for calorie burn plus weight resistance for muscle building.
    Best of luck!!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42lbs so far (would like to lose another 14-20) and at the start of losing weight, 7 weeks after having a baby, I was lifting weights and doing strength training. It's definitely helped me lose weight and tone up. I'm the same weight I was when I got married, but my hips and thighs are smaller now, and I look more toned.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    2 fat 2 lift??? Hell no! I was 276lbs when I got back into the gym and started lifting well before I did any cardio activities. I would have done it the same way if I was 350.

Go get lifting! Don't start now, start RIGHT now.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Please lift.

I am one that did not lift, and now paying the price.

You will be upset if you don't do both.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I weighed 270ish lbs (125kg) when I started.

Some lifts were a bit awkward because of my mass... deadlifts for example. However I got a trainer who was able to modify a routine to suit me, and now I'm much stronger than most people believe.

I still 'look' overweight, but I consistently surprise trainers with my ability.

Go for it, you'll love it and your body will thank you.
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My friend, you are going to LOVE what weights do for you! And you are going to learn that lifting weights helps to lift stress and lifts your mood. Even just learning to use your body for resistance - you can do a lot of weights work just at home with your own body weight. Planks, pushups (on the knees or off the wall to start is still helping you to build strength), lunges, tricep dips etc are all going to become a very comfortable and familiar part of your journey to weight loss.

Definitely get some advice from a trainer, or check out some of the forums here. Keep asking questions - we are all sharing our knowledge. I am not able to get to the gym because I am full-time carer for my daughter, who is in and out of hospital and has bad days that keep us close to home, so most of my stuff is done at home. But I have been doing an online 12 week body blitz (5th week) that gives me a daily program to follow. On her good days I can do it outdoors, but mostly I do it at home. And I am achieving great results - loving it, too. Lots of people doing it with me online, so you can share your successes and ask for advice along the journey. Food for thought - it is nice to have company and people to turn to who are doing the same things and maybe experiencing the same obstacles, or who have been there and are ready to share their knowledge and encouragement.

Good luck, and well done on your work so far. I also have a treadmill. LOVE IT. Think about investing in a heart rate monitor - you will be very surprised at your calorie burns, and can compare your cardio workouts with your weight workouts. Very educational, and a great asset when you are learning how your body responds.

Wil
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much you weigh, but I agree with everyone else, incorporate some form of weigh training into your regimen. And guess what...you can still do your cardio and lift weights. It doesn't have to be either/or....I run 5-6 times a week AND incorporate weightlifting 3 days a week. It can be done! Start now!
  • TouchDownJesus
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the info! I'm excited to start. Gotta get the book "New Rules..."
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing. Ever watch biggest loser? Ever watch extreme makeover: weight loss edition!?

there's no such thing.