Borrowing calories for valentines meal?

Options
Hey everyone : )

im planning a romantic valentines menu, and instead of going out to a restaurant, weve decided to have a meal at home, partly so i can watch my calories haha. but my question is, can you borrow calories from say, the day before, if you need to eat extra calories the next day? were having:

tomato and mascarpone soup
chicken in cheese with pancetta and tiger garlic bread
melt in the mouth chocolate puddings

and i can just about cover it all with my daily calories, but i think if i dont have any calories for a good breakfast, il just start snacking all day. what do u think??

thank you : )

Replies

• aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i think if you don't eat like this everyday and if its a special occasion for both of you i say "no regrets" knock yourself out. just watch your calories on monday and maybe work out 15 more minutes. my opinion.
  • leannaellis
    leannaellis Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Easy... work out real hard that day and you will give yourself the extra calories you need to enjoy your dinner guilt free. :happy:
  • hmr1117
    Options
    Yea, I agree with the above comments...you can do it occasionally, or work out more, or borrow so to speak. my dad has done calorie counting for almost 10 years now and he said overall it really has to do with the weekly consumption....which is why we never count weightloss per day but per week...so if you add up like you are supposed to have 1400ca/day for 7 days is 9800cal a day...as long as you are good on that you should be good on your weightloss:) So enjoy your valentines meal! I know I plan too! :) we are going to redlobster!!!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    i think if you don't eat like this everyday and if its a special occasion for both of you i say "no regrets" knock yourself out. just watch your calories on monday and maybe work out 15 more minutes. my opinion.

I agree 100%
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I wouldn't even bother borrowing cals. It's how you eat most of the time that counts. For me, occasional cheats actually rev up my metabolism and make weight loss easier. I go over my cals about once every 2 weeks.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I usually borrow 100 from the day before, day after and work out hard. So far it has worked good, down 65 lbs!
    I have only done this 2 times though, I try not to make a habit but I will be doing it this weekend (Sat is our celebration).
  • kmmschaefer
    kmmschaefer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is like at&t we have rollover calories. ha ha. Just kidding. Add in exercise and it will equal out.
  • gperry227
    Options
    Would you share these recipes???? They sound soooo good!!!
  • boffo
    boffo Posts: 22
    Options
    other plans allow you to bank points.... up to 4 a day for a week. this equates to roughly 170 cal per day plus associated fat... when my wife and i were on that plan we'd have a night of anything goes... we still lost our 2 lbs a week.
  • oddballs21087
    Options
    :drinker: You should enjoy what you eat and just exercise it off over the time around valentines day.....But enjoy :flowerforyou:
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pancetta--the key to getting a lot of the fat off (without losing flavor, anyway) is to grill it instead of frying. I use a panini maker, but a George Forman grill would work just as well. The meal sounds wonderful! Enjoy it!

(And I'll suggest something crude: it's Valentine's Day, the most *ROMANTIC* day of the year. A treadmill is only one way to burn calories. Catch my drift?) :blushing:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    other plans allow you to bank points.... up to 4 a day for a week. this equates to roughly 170 cal per day plus associated fat... when my wife and i were on that plan we'd have a night of anything goes... we still lost our 2 lbs a week.

Exactly. On WW you get to bank your flex points as well as your exercise points for the week. Enjoy - it looks yummy! :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Yeah, knowing what I've learned about how the human body burns calories, I am not a big fan of the concept of banking calories. It's a slippery slope, calories are either burned or stored as fat by the body. While this would apparently lend itself to the "banking" concept, in actuality it doesn't.

body fat is harder to turn into fuel than ingested calories from carbohydrates, so the ratio of fat to calories needed isn't 1 to 1. That being said, doing it for a special occasion isn't going to hurt too much (if at all). But I wouldn't count on calorie banking as an optimal weight loss strategy, it will probably work to a degree, but it reinforces indulgence as a reward, I don't particularly like that strategy. Not saying it won't work for some, just that IMHO there are better ways to reinforce good behavior. I am a big believer in goal achievement as a reinforcement strategy as opposed to a reward structure.

I realize you are asking about a special occasion, so I'll say again, I don't think 1 meal over your calories is an issue. But I would also say what some said above, don't pull calories from another day, just go over, maybe exercise a little extra to earn extra calories if you can, but let the day be a day over your calories, and keep the rest of your days normal.
  • jesskennedy
    Options
    Would you share these recipes???? They sound soooo good!!!

the soups just shop bought, fresh, because i can never make good soup haha, and its only about 90 calories a serving? its really good : )

the chicken is just a chicken breast each, i took the recipe from here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/stuffedchickenbreast_72067.shtml

but changed it, so now i have the cheese (mature cheddar and parmesan) melted on top, with the pancetta chopped up instead of wrapping the chicken...that way i can use less cheese and pancetta, and can use low fat cheese as well : )

the garlic tiger bread is a fresh baguette (morrisons do a bread called tiger bread), sliced about 3/4 of the way each slice and with garlic and parsley butter inside, then bake for a few minutes : )

im having white chocolate tiffin cake with whipped cream now : )

thank you everyone for your advice, im going to go for a workout on the morning of valentines day and then might borrow about 100 calories from the days before and after

thank youu : )