Lentils--Any Quick Recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• HypnoticHaylee
    Options
    i didnt read all of the responses, so I am sorry if this is a repost.

I go crazy over some lentil sloppy joes!!!

http://www.namelymarly.com/2012/08/lentil-sloppy-joes/

http://www.confident-cook.com/2012/09/vegetarian-sloppy-joes.html

or you can go the lazy way like I often do, and just cook some lentils, mix in sloppy joe mix, and call it a day ;)

Lentil kale is also really good if you have extra cals for the day

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pasta-with-Lentils-and-Kale-238092
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Sautee onions and garlic in some olive oil
    Add mushrooms
    Add lentils
    Add water/broth to cover lentils
    cook until lentils are soft (30-40 minutes)
    Add spices (i used sage and thyme)

Viola mushrooms and lentils
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    In reading a Tom Clancy novel, I came across a dish called Kushari. For my recipe, I googled it and I'm gonna try it sometime this week.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love lentils! I like a basic lentil soup with onions, carrots, garlic, maybe a bit of curry. I love it as a taco filling spiced with your regular taco seasoning. Often I add a scoop of lentils or beans to a big salad. Tonight for dinner I just had a plate of lentils topped with a fried egg on top (sometimes I add sauteed greens.) So good, I hope you find some great uses for them.
  • neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    my flatmate made this AMAZING brocolli and lentil salad last night. It had in it cooked brocolli, canned lentils and a dressing of soy sauce and fresh coriander. Probably some other ingredients in there too, but it was yummy!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    A friend of mines told me that you can make veggie burgers using lentils and a couple of other veggies, but he never shared an actual recipe with me. Also, I haven't found any recipes online that completely WOW'ed me.

Do any of you have a recipe to share for them? I found some lentils for the low-low a couple of weeks ago and now the poor things are just sitting in the pantry growing wiser by the day.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    bump some great ideas here!
  • Chelle265
    Chelle265 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So many great looking recipes! Thanks!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    A friend of mines told me that you can make veggie burgers using lentils and a couple of other veggies, but he never shared an actual recipe with me. Also, I haven't found any recipes online that completely WOW'ed me.

Do any of you have a recipe to share for them? I found some lentils for the low-low a couple of weeks ago and now the poor things are just sitting in the pantry growing wiser by the day.

i Also use these two recipes.....Hope this helps:

Vegetarian Lentil Burger Recipe

"These make great do-ahead meals, and you can store shaped, ready-to-cook patties in the refrigerator for a week's worth of work lunches. Feel free to spice up the batter by experimenting with your favorite seasonings."

3 cups cooked black lentils
    4 large eggs
    1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 cup toasted fine (whole-grain) bread crumbs
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (or clarified butter)

Combine the lentils, eggs, and salt in a food processor. Puree until the mixture is the consistency of a runny yet textured hummus - it's o.k. if many of the lentils remain whole (see photo). Pour into a mixing bowl and stir in the onion. Add the breadcrumbs, stir, and let sit for a couple of minutes so the crumbs can absorb some of the moisture. At this point, you should have a very moist mixture that you can easily form into twelve 1 1/2-inch-thick patties. I err on the moist side here, because it makes for a nicely textured burger. You can always add more bread crumbs a bit at a time to firm up the dough if need be. Conversely, a bit of water or more egg can be used to moisten the batter.

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium low, add 4 patties, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the bottoms begin to brown. Turn up the heat if there is no browning after 10 minutes. Flip the patties and cook the second side for 7 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the skillet and cool on a wire rack while you cook the remaining patties. Carefully cut each patty in half, insert your favorite fillings, and enjoy immediately.

Makes 12 mini burgers.

and:

Lentil Cakes

Ingredients:
    1 cup dry brown lentils
    2 1/2 cups water
    1/4 cup milk
    1 cup wheat and barley nugget cereal (e
    .g. Grape-Nuts™)
    1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix

1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    Directions:
    1. Place lentils and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain.
    2. In a large bowl, mix together the cooked lentils, milk, wheat and barley cereal, eggs and walnuts. Season with onion soup mix and poultry seasoning. Mix well using your hands, as the mixture will be very thick. Let stand for 30 minutes, or refrigerate overnight.
    3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Use an ice cream scoop to portion out balls of the lentil mixture. Drop the scoops into bread crumbs, and coat while flattening into patties. Fry burgers in the hot skillet until nicely browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the patties.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Saving for later

Thanks to all who wrote recipes and ideas here. :flowerforyou:
  • taaaters
    Options
    Yum, lentils are awesome... thank you all for sharing! :)
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    tomatoes
    garlic

in juicer

make into sauce

fry up cumin seeds and when popping add a chopped onion and some ginger

then add about a half pint of water and your sauce and your red split lentils

add tumeric
    dry corriander
    gara masala
    chilli powder

cook for 15 mins

add fresh corriander on top and season to taste
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Bump! I love this - I've been looking for lentil recipes for a while. Thanks!
  • farahsaleem
    farahsaleem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    soak for an hour, then boil with tomato, ginger garlic paste, salt and red chilli.. once soft add some butter and eat with boiled rice.. yummyyy..
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I make this all the time. For one year when I was really poor it's the only thing I ate because it's so cheap and easy to make and at the same time very nutritious. And I still like it! So this says a lot.
    The recipe I stole from a website, as I'm not so good at writing recipes.

Mujaddara
    serves 5-6

1 1/2 c green or brown lentils
    1 c long grain brown rice
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    2 1/2 c water
    1/4 c olive oil
    2 1/2 c roughly chopped onion

Combine lentils, rice, cumin, salt, pepper, and water.
    Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 40-45 minutes, or until rice and lentils are cooked.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions.
    Cook onions about 15 minutes or until golden and tender, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat off.
    Stir the onions into the lentil and rice mixture.
  • sleeplesslions
    sleeplesslions Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    my favourite is a really basic dinner of lentils, wilted spinach and a lemon (soy) yoghurt dressing. so delicious!
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nannabannana
    Options
    Bumping for so many great sounding recipes. Thanks to all who shared. I only made 1 way so this is great.:heart:
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great recipes--they all sound awesome! Now that I have discovered lentils, I have something new to cook--love it! Seriously thanks!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Since finding this thread last night I have been hungry for lentils. Never having made anything except a batch of soup from them for the first time back a couple of weeks, I decided to experiment a bit with what I had on hand. I cooked up some brown lentils. After they were cooked I added some fire roasted tomatoes (Hunts brand, with out the juice) tossed in some red pepper flakes and some sea salt. Let that warm up gently. Put it in a bowl with some guacamole on the side. The pepper flakes spiced it up and the coolness of the guacamole was nice with it.

texasgardnr:flowerforyou: