Crossfit...Yay or Nay?

Options
I am debating jumping on this Crossfit craze, i hear great things and bad things. Has anyone tried it? Did you like it? Was it for all fitness levels?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I am debating jumping on this Crossfit craze, i hear great things and bad things. Has anyone tried it? Did you like it? Was it for all fitness levels?

It's like anything, it has it's good and bad points. The good is obvious. The bad is that often coaches don't teach good form or even bad form is encouraged (i.e. with "pull-ups"). The other bad is that you're often doing technical lifts in an exhausted state which can be a recipe for injury.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I heard it was really expensive :noway: That's an instant no for me.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I just went to an intro, and I really liked it because the coaches pushed me harder than I push myself, so it was like cheaper personal training. It is for all fitness levels, except if you aren't willing to push yourself to your limit. In the intro class, there was one woman who stopped early because she said she couldn't do it. I believe, however, that that is utter poppycock and that she could have completed it by just going her pace and finishing. I felt like I was going to puke at the end because I had pushed myself as hard as I could... which is, I think, the point. No matter what your abilities, you're just supposed to do the best you can.

I agree with what Nick said about the pros and cons. I'm going to do a month trial and see if I'm interested in continuing or not.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen, I wouldn't touch it.

Mostly that's because I'm no longer in my 20's. I've had too many problems with my back and my joints over the years to start throwing weights and my body around in a barely controlled sort of way. I'd injure myself in no time at all.

Even if I were still in my 20's, I'd likely steer clear. It just looks like injuries waiting to happen.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is rather expensive. Most gyms cost over $150 a month! However, many people find the camaraderie of working out in a group very helpful. Also, the workouts are timed and/or measured. It pushes you a little harder (perhaps) and makes it easy to know when you are making progress.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I did it for over a year.

The good: I had an excellent trainer, he taught me very good form and gave me the confidence to try lifts and weights I would never have tried on my own. I now do my own training but find I incorporate a lot of the lifts.

The bad: Expensive, a lot of crappy workouts (I was finding I liked less than 1/2 of the workouts so I stopped going), a lot of upper body and chest stuff (which as a girl I'm not as impressed with and don't really like to do that much of), and it is very cult-like and competitive. Also I felt like it was a social call everytime I went and I just want to workout and get out of there, not socialize.

However I am glad I went because I learned a LOT and got into very good shape while I was there, and I think it was the foundation for how I am today as far as fitness level. For me, I just know I can do everything they do there on my own, and do what I want, instead of spending an hour there every day,
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I love it - why not try a few sessions? I am sure there are places that would offer you a trial so you could participate where able and get a feel of what it's about. There are plenty of Crossfit haters on here, many I'm sure have never tried it.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I wanted to do it - the benefits seem just incredible if you really apply yourself, but the benefits don't outweigh risks for me (i.e. not learning good form - I'm sure some coaches actually do a good job but some may not). That, and the price is a no go for me.
  • InfinitePoss
    InfinitePoss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I did it for about four months a couple of years ago and you really have to give it a try to determine whether it's right for you.

What I liked about CrossFit is that no matter how great of shape you are in you will end every work out feeling completely "wrecked". All the work-outs are timed so you will be pushing for a better time or to do a higher number of reps. The work-outs are also really short so from a time stand-point you certainly maximize your work-out. Plus all of the people that I met doing it were really supportive and very cool.

The thing to bear in mind, however, is that CrossFit is heavily based on doing Olympic Lifts and you have to be extremely careful when it comes to form. And if you get carried away, no matter how good your instructors are, there is a strong chance of injury. I herniated my disc doing it, which is why I stopped, but even before this happened to me I met several people who were "returning after an injury" at the "box" where I was working out.

CrossFit will certainly get you in shape, make you able to handle almost any physical challenge, and connect you with some great people but if your goal is to just "look good naked", and feel good, there are many "roads to Rome", as they say, that are not quite as intense.
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love it. I contacted a local affiliate in my area. I started a "crossfit beginner" 2 week program I found online.( no weights all body weight stuff and running) Then the owner of the local BOX asked me to come to a class for free of charge.(Saturday's are free open workouts) I now follow his WOD online and do that at home($130/mo is just too much for me) The local BOX is supportive and told me to drop in on Saturday's when I could. He said he wasn't to worried with the money, he just wanted to build a Crossfit community. If they are closed I found 2 apps to use( XFIT and WODBOX) to get WOD's. XFIT is the WOD from Crossfit.com and WODBOX there is list of affiliates to choose from. I can't wait to get home after work to workout. I now have a few friends coming over. Workouts can be scaled or modified.Anyway I love Crossfit and recommend it anyone.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Olympic lifts done for high reps for time. Many other nonsensical and dangerous exercises.

Nay. The end.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Basically a metabolic conditioniong workout in a group setting. It will depending largely on the instructors. More or less anyone can become certified. There are lots of horror stories (and videos) of the people lifting with criminally bad form and the instructors rooting them on. On the other hand, there are also plenty of stories of people who have had outstanding experiences with great instructors.