Developing a feel for cooking chicken - tips?

Options
I know what to do with beef, pork and shellfish, because I like those things lots and have grown up cooking them. Takes just a glance or a sniff, and I know what's happening, no matter what cooking method, stove, or implements I'm using, just from having done it hundreds of times.

For most new things, I'm ok judging doneness by asking 'would I want to eat this if it were served to me at a restaurant'.

I'm at a loss with chicken for some reason. I mean I can do a roast, but forget about anything else (just turned grilled/broiled skewers into something like a chicken jerky! Can't pan-fry it all that well either.) I want to eat more of it, because it's leaner. Disregarding that I don't even like it, really.

What are some of the subtle signs things are going well with a chicken? Any tips?

I think maybe I'm worried about undercooking it - if it looks juicy, I worry about salmonella.

Replies

• Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I usually bake thawed or fresh chicken in the oven at 400F for half an hour ( with various seasonings and sauces), covered. Then i check on it. Then i stick it back in at 350F for another 40 mins and its sooo tender!!! youre free to do other stuff while its cooking and you can be SURE its well cooked AND tender.
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    Meat thermometer. Seriously.

All of your meats will taste better when cooked to the right temperature.

If you cook it until it is hot enough, and not much longer.. it doesn't dry out. Generally doesn't get tough, isn't bloody...
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I stick it in a nonstick pan with the lid for about 30 min, flipping in between. I don't actually time it, but I do thermometer it before I think it could be done.

I never thought I liked chicken...until I realized I had been overcooking it and making it dry as hell.
  • D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I tend to cook mine until it's literally falling apart. The crockpot is excellent & works as good as baking for me cuz I don't have to mess with it constantly. Usually when I bake I don't use too much liquid, I marinade for 1hr to a day then I load it up sometimes with onions & peppers into a dish bake between 350-400, covered with alum foil for idk, maybe 45 min tops. The key is to make sure the center/ thickest section, if cooking breast, is white & not pink--then u know it's done & maintain a lil moisture by either basting it frequently or covering w/ foil (can skip this if using crockpot) unless u like ur meat tough & dry. I've never ever had a prob over or under cooking except in the past when I've tried to deep fry it....Oh, Oh did I say fry??? :blushing:
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    it is almost impossible to overcook chicken thighs. Breast meat can be a lot more tricky. Get a meat thermometer, and do some research on what chefs consider to be proper cooking temps. The FDA guidelines are a little high IMHO.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My tips:

- Start with boneless, skinless. Either breast or thigh.

- Let it sit out for a while (at least 30 minutes) to get some of the chill off before cooking. If you try to cook it cold, it will release a ton of liquid while cooking, which will cause it to steam and get tough and chewy. Ew.

- Rinse it in cool water and dry it thoroughly. It really needs to be DRY.

- If it's thigh, trim the fat and weird-looking bits off. If it's breast, either pound it thin or butterfly it so it's thin (approx. 1/2 inch).

- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high to high heat. Add ample fat -- I usually use olive oil, which seems to me to handle high heat just fine -- to cover the bottom of the pan. Butter will burn. Spray stuff will not give you a good crust and will not seal in those juices you want. It's not that much added fat by the time you're done. Heck, you've already removed the skin and excess fat from the chicken!

- Salt and pepper the chicken before it hits the pan. Only add as many pieces to the pan as will fit without touching one another. Too much in the pan at once will cool the pan, will allow the chicken to release a bunch of fluid and cause the steaming issue noted above. Ew, again. Remember: DON'T put the chicken in the pan until the pan is HOT. This is really key.

- Let it cook -- DON'T MESS WITH IT -- until the edges begin to turn white (or whatever you consider the color of cooked chicken to be. Not pink.) When you see that, you know that the side that's on the pan is done. Time to flip. Use tongs (NO fork!) to turn it. Admire how lovely the browning is. Smell the goodness. When it's nice and brown on the other side (it's okay to peek on side two), it's finished.

No worries about salmonella. No dried grossness. No real need to do anything more to the chicken than just ferry it to your mouth and enjoy! But it's now ready for saucing, dicing for salad, slicing for a sandwich -- whatever!

Hope you enjoy
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Thermometer.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    What are some of the subtle signs things are going well with a chicken? Any tips?

I always look for subtle signs like accelerated heart rate, rapid breathing, that certain spark in the eyes.... Oh wait, chickEN? Sorry. :embarassed:
  • crrobin
    crrobin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There's always ground chicken...u can use in place of ground beef for tacos for example....and my all time fav, although maybe high in sodium....chicken sausage!
  • crrobin
    Options

I always look for subtle signs like accelerated heart rate, rapid breathing, that certain spark in the eyes.... Oh wait, chickEN? Sorry. :embarassed:
  • crrobin
    Options
    Love it!
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you're frying chicken. Well I only eat chicken wings, but you want to cook it 7 minutes on each side on medium heat. If you're deep frying them, cook it until the frying sounds slow down. That is when you know its done!
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like to make stuffed chicken breasts. I butterfly the breasts and then add about 1.5-2 tbsp of a cheese mixture that usually includes:

1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar, basil, oregano, pepper and 2 tbsp parmesan

Then I fold the breasts closed and tie closed. I put in an electric skillet or stove top skillet at med-high heat and brown all sides. Then I add 1 cup low sodium chicken stock wth 1 cup water, reducing heat to medium, and cook for about 30-45 additional minutes until chicken is cooked through and tender. Add more water if needed. I serve with 1/4-1/2 cup salsa.
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    All meat seems to go through stages while cooking. Assuming a hypothetical hunk of meat is the same temperature throughout: somewhere around 140-150 degrees it will start to change texture and become more like what we know as "cooked" meat. Between 155 and 165 the proteins tighten so much that it begins to become rubbery. From 165-boiling it will get more and more rubbery. But if you hold it hot for a long time, the collagen begins to soften and it becomes stringy but more tender to the tooth as the collagen around each muscle bundle turns liquid. The best meats for this method are those with lots of gelatin aka "gristle." I've noticed chicken breast seems to have less collagen than other meats. For me, when it's cooked hot and long it just gets stringy and falls apart, but each string is almost chalky.

I stumbled upon a boneless-skinless chicken breast cooking method that stops that from happening. Low temperature poaching. I put a pan with liquid (I use things like coconut milk, broth, salted herb'd water, etc.) on the stove and turn it on medium-low, then add chicken breasts. It takes a long time to cook like that, especially from frozen (can take an hour or two) but so long as it's steaming a bit on top with some bubbles coming up from the bottom (small and not too often) I noticed that it does not overcook and get tough and stringy, but also does not undercook and stay slimy. It's very, very tender, but still "cooked." I wish I had a meat thermometer so it wasn't guesswork (and I HIGHLY recommend one). I googled sous-vide (low temp water bath cooking method I SO want to try when I get a reliable thermometer and can hack a crockpot or cooler) and found this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/sous-vide-basics-low-temperature-chicken.html - apparently you can cook at low temperature safely just so long as it's for a long time. There is an interesting graphic that shows the temperature at which bacteria are killed and how long it takes.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I put a few breasts in the oven a about 350 with a little fat free Italian dressing and some spices. Then I chop them in cubes and put them in the fridge. It's so handy to have them ready like that. I put them in my salads, in wraps, in sandwiches, sometimes I'll make a veggie stirfry at not and toss some in that. Or slice them in strips and use them in fajitas.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, all, for the wonderful (& easy-to-follow) instructions! I'll feel braver with my next bird :)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

Lol, I'm sure you're not the first to be confused by a good-looking hen.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can add is don't over cook it. I like to take mine off the heat just before I think it's just right and the residual heat finishes it. It stays nice and jucy that way.