What is wrong with me?

Options
I was on such a roll, going to the gym five days a week with a rest day on Tuesday and Saturday (and sometimes only half a work out on thursdays). I hit 50 pounds lost last week and was so happy and doing so well. Now this week wild horses couldn't drag me out of bed to go to the gym.

It all started Sunday, I had junk for breakfast and then just never got a chance to work out because I was really busy. Then Monday morning I was too tired so I slept in, yesterday the same thing except I called off work too and slept till like 11, and this morning I skipped the gym as well. Lately when that alarm goes off if the devil were to appear, I honestly think I might sell my soul just to not have to get out of bed.

I'm really mad at myself because it's hard to stay under my calories when I don't work out, and Sunday and Monday I ate bad period. Working out tonight isn't really an option because I have a lot of homework and we just got a foot of snow dumped on us. I am thinking about just taking the rest of the week off and starting fresh on Sunday. What do you all think?

Replies

• JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    Sounds like your body and mind are ready for a break!! 50 pounds lost is great! Take a week off for yourself ~ you can do it! Congratulations again and best of luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • msrn8143
    msrn8143 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You may want to visit your doctor for a check up too. Being that fatigued isn't normal. You could have a viral infection or your thyroid could be out of whack. Wouldn't hurt just to have some blood work done. Hope you feel better soon but until you do, cut yourself some slack. Your body is obviously sending you a message that it isn't well and needs rest. Just eat sensibly and work back into your routine slowly.
  • kadaolmi
    kadaolmi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    just take one day at a time. You have done great! It took time to get it on, it takes time to take it off. I have struggled at the SAME weight for 1 year....1 year! didn't gain....and 3-5 times a week to the gym working out hard...eating heathly...could not lose. But, you just have to keep going. I finally started a food program and in 2 weeks lost 7 pounds. I am so happy that the scale finally moved! 50# is a so great! don't beat yourself up. -- One day at a time and keep up the great job!
  • blonide
    Options
    First off you are aware and in touch with what's going.. #2 listen to your body.. if it needs sleep, give it that; you may be fighting something. What you need to do to help yourself feel better is eat healthy.. take care of your body (sleep and food) and you'll get back to the gym within the next couple of days.. I wouldn't swear it off until next week but don't push it... also .. try to do some things at home to get you back in touch with the great feeling of working out: abs, push ups, tricept dips, squats... start with just 10 minutes, or just commercial..

also if youre shovelling snow - its a work out - trust me.. I'm in this crazy white out in maryland!
  • yacekl
    yacekl Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Just take care of yourself. by continueing to eat the best possible way . Get yourself checked out by a doctor also. and remember the exeercise and eating healthy is a new lifestyle for you and life sometimes has it's not so perfect times You'll be okay don't get anixious cause that can set you off down the wrong road with eating. I just prayed for you cause i know how you feel. I'm believing God will see you through.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This may make me unpopular, but....

This isn't a "diet." It's a lifestyle. You can't just "take some time off." I know it's unpleasant and hard, but you just have to treat every day as a new opportunity for success. Monday was bad? Oh well! Learn from your mistakes and move on. Tuesday was bad? What made Tuesday bad? What can you do differently today? Start fresh, believe in yourself, and stay motivated.

Sleep is your best friend, my dear. It will improve your mood, help with weight loss, and let you function at a higher level during the day. Never underestimate a good night's sleep. :smile:

I say nix the junky breakfast--I know it always drags my day down. Fruit, toast with peanut butter, egg whites with veggies and salsa. You can do it!!!!!!! And if you can't stand the thought of the gym, put a towel on the livingroom floor and do 30 minutes of yoga or stretching, instead. Do SOMETHING! You have to make a positive effort every single day. Please, don't let all your hard work thus far be for nothing. Keep going!
  • Kellee76
    Options
    Sounds like you're stressed. That will wear you out, right there. On top of it, you've been following the same routine for several weeks (even months?) now. Fifty pounds is FANTASTIC; however, that doesn't mean you're out of the woods just yet. You may be experiencing a bit of burnout. I'm a life-long dieter and, believe me, I understand burnout... even when you've been successful. Treat yourself to a new cookbook and try some novel low-cal foods (if you like to cook) or break up your old exercise routine by enrolling in some local classes (my best friend and roommate does bellydancing to break up the monotony of the treadmill and elliptical trainer). Or, if you work out with an MP3 player, try refreshing your playlist with a new workout mix by artists you don't normally listen to. When you're bored, it can take wild horses to get you to do something that you don't absolutely have to do. So mix it up a bit! You deserve a reward for all the work you've done so far! I say, "Great Job!" and stop beating yourself up so much for not making it to the gym. (I know, when I listen carefully to my internal dialog, that I sometimes catch myself saying things to myself that I wouldn't say to my worst enemy. Treat yourself as you would your best friend!) And if you still don't feel well in a few days, make that doctor's appointment and get your blood levels checked. (Could be thyroid, low iron, or something else... good to be on the safeside and get it checked out.)

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! It makes me smile to see people succeeding! It makes me believe that I can, too :)
  • renniekayblanco
    Options
    Great job looseing the 50lbs.:smile::smile: You may be coming down with a cold or your body may be just tired. A little break should help. Are you taking a multi vitamin? You should, it will help keep you active. It is very important to take a multi vitamin while dieting.
  • QueenInge
    QueenInge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Could it be a lack of sunshine? My doctor says S.A.D. has been more prevelant this year due to the rainy, dreary weather. It is an actual condition which makes people depressed and lethargic. Don't beat yourself up for taking a breather. Listen or watch your favorite comedian. Put on your favorite upbeat tunes and wiggle a little. 50 lbs lost is sooo excellent! Keep up the good work!
  • Mommy08
    Mommy08 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree with sdirks. You didn't come this far already by just "taking a week off". I bet if you just make yourself go you'll feel much better than if you just stayed in bed. Just carve out even 20 minutes to do something like that for yourself and you'll feel better. Hang in there!