Weird things nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• brendacooks
    brendacooks Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    OMG how entertaining to read these posts -and what great "problems" to have - especially when you think of all the weird things people don't tell you about being fat!
    About losing: I love that I have lost the hump on my back. i have beautiful collar bones - who knew? I can tie my shoes and clip my toe nails without strange yoga positions and cardiac arrest. I can dance ALL NIGHT - I sweat like a m*8therf**cker but I am dancin!!!! People tell me I look great EVERY SINGLE DAY. It's good, my friends. Really, really good.

11672710.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    Higher sex drive j/s not sure if anyone mentioned it ^u^
  • sueblue77
    sueblue77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier, I was clumsier. I'd underestimate how much room I needed to go through a door frame to the side or around a table. Seems I was constantly running into or bumping something or someone. Now, since I'm smaller, there's more room to maneuver my body.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I lost my wedding ring. :( It slid off somewhere, probably on the trail by my apartment. It was a $30 ring, but still, it was my wedding ring!

I just discovered I have hip bones! I still have a LONG way to go losing-weight-wise, but with nearly 40 pounds lost, it's so strange to feel my hips! And I'm starting to see my collarbones!
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Everyone talks about how great you'll feel, how awesome it is to fit into cuter clothes, how much more confidence you'll have, etc...but have you noticed that there are a few things people tend not to mention? For me, the biggest thing has been the changes in my body. I'm still fairly early on in my journey, but I've noticed things. As an adult, you get used to being at least semi-aware of your body and how it 'should' be, and sometimes these changes can be alarming.

Case in (somewhat hilarious) point:

A couple nights ago I was laying on the couch on my side, typing on my laptop. My hand went to rest on my side and for a second I was like...woah, what is that? I have some kind of weird lump there, on my side and kind of around the back. After a few moments of poking there and on the opposite side I realized that of course it was my rib, but that one side isn't exactly the same as the other. But why hadn't I noticed it before?

Then it hit me. I didn't notice it...because it was covered in fat. Those 20 pounds provided quite a bit of cushion. So...maybe I'm a crazy person, but I'm betting there are a few of you out there who have had somewhat alarming moments that you didn't initially realize were due to having lost weight.

I could have posted this. I 'discovered' my ribs yesterday while reading a book laying down and had put my hand on my stomach (Left over from being preg..)and felt my ribs and sorta was like "OH MY GOD IS IT CANCER?!" then realized it was my ribs and laughed. (Just joking about the cancer thing, btw. :P)
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, and I can do the dishes without my stomach hitting the counter anymore!
  • Kldouville
    Kldouville Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My stomach and chunky areas seem a lot softer than before,,kinda like it did right after I had a baby and my arms underneath are more jiggly..i am going to have to build muscle now..It also appears that my shoes are getting bigger on me....
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I found out I had an extra bone in my foot. I had been overweight so long that when I started losing, I lost from ankles, feet, and face first. I have a weird protrusion on my feet that turned out to be an extra bone according to my dr. Never knew.
    my "heel" is an extra bone. I have a "knot" on the back of my foot - it's always seemed normal to me - mostly b/c i hate feet & don't look at others feet, - until my hubs pointed out the oddity. lol
    I have an extra bone in my right foot, but not my left. It rubs a bit in some shoes....and is sticking out a lot more these days than it used to
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I freaked out while on webcam with a friend and thought that there was something wrong with the area around my neck. He proceeded to tell me that I now had visible collarbones. Seriously though, it was embarrassing and sweet at the same time....I'd already summed it up that a trip to the doctor's office was in the near future but thanks to him he saved me my dignity AND 35 bucks.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    No one mentioned what eating clean and drinking lots of water would lead to hours of bathroom time shrug who knew lol
  • HotDolphinMama
    HotDolphinMama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to lose your wedding ring in the drain at work...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i as expecting clothes to fit looser, but noone warns you about your accessories!

shoes are too big, bracelets are too big and slip off my hand easily, especially the bangle styles..necklaces, hang lower now, some too low. sunglasses too big and slip off my face . socks as well. you might think oh but socks fit a range of sizes. this is true but once your worn them a few times the heel gets worn in even after washing and drying. many of my socks the heel is starting at the very back of my foot.
  • ZombieMercy
    ZombieMercy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump....can't wait to post my discoveries :bigsmile:
  • Katydone
    Options
    Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery are still some of the sexiest men I know even with aging. This was in response to the guy concerned about more wrinkles.
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Weirdest thing I ever heard obout losing weight: guys gain a half inch of "useable length" for every 20 pounds they lose. Of course I know this is total BS. Still funny that someone actually thought that up. :bigsmile:
    I actually posted a thread about this. You don't technically 'gain' an additional half inch, the fat around your pelvic region just disappears making more of your length visible. I call that FUPA. Fatty upper pelvic area.....
  • D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've had many of the same Ahha moments that you've all described, from the constant chill to the loose fitting shoes to the tail bone discomfort, & frequent potty room visits, just to name a few... But what I'm finding even more "enlightening" is that I actually love shopping for me! Not that I've done much of it, cuz my aim is to lose about 40 more lbs, but I've taken quite an interest in makeup, clothse, shoes, accessories, lingerie--all the "girly" stuff, that I've never had before. I'd buy for myself based solely on absolute neccessity in the past, but now! OMG I simply can't resist. I even try on clothse IN the store, just to check myself out in the mirror. Another habit I've developed...looking at myself (not just my face!), but checking myself out EVERY time I pass a full length mirror, which I was never ever interested in owning, let alone looking into one until this year...Now I actually have up 2!

There's something else....I glow. Yeah, well, not quite like a glow worm or a lightening bug, but as they say certain females do when they've a secret or are madly in love or are pregnant (absolutely no way the last "or" is the culprit!). It's crazy if you ask me, especially with absolutely no love life & a marriage that's in shambles, amongst a slew of other issues or concerns that would normally drain the life out of an individual... But darn near everyone (incl people I'm just meeting) use the words "glow/glowing" when they describe me...they ask a ? and when I say Y? they in turn say "cuz you're glowing", & all I can do is smile, cuz Idk Y & the mystery of it makes me feel just as I said before, like a young girl madly in love & with a shhhhhhhh...secret! :blushing:

Oh yeah, I had a ? 4 the ladies (4give if a bit touchy, but...): Does the 3rd pouch, if you were really overweight/obese you know the area I'm referring to (that's unless I was the only one to gain there), talking well below the abs, go completely down or tighten back up?
  • gabeej
    Options
    The thing that gets me is that no one tells you how expensive it is to have to keep buying new pants every month, and what the heck they do with all the old big pants. I mean, I'll keep one pair of starting fat pants, for comparison, but I'm not keeping any of these other pants around. I have NO intention of ever needing them again.

What do you do with them? How many pairs of pants do you buy every time you drop a size?
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm also icy cold now, I don't really miss all the sweating though - but I also get hot faster! I guess the padding kept my temperature more constant... but now it's nice snuggling into a nice warm sweater drinking hot chocolate :wink:

Another thing is a mental one; almost all clothes fit when I choose a size 8, meaning that I've got so much more to choose from - it's a lot more difficult actually! Before I bought whatever fitted well enough, now? I spend way too much because there are so much more nice fitting clothes!

The wrinkle thing unfortunately also applies to me... but hey. I still look better, feel better and have tons more energy so I don't really care (that much, anyways).

My shoulders and arms. They have always bothered me. Now they are looking better each month and I may actually one day wear a strapless dress without having to put on a jacket or bolero or whatnot to cover up. This is a major win!

My boobs are getting small, I'm actually small chested! Who'd have known? I kinda miss them larger, but still don't. They looked nice but kept getting in the way. So, another win (but this one was NOT the easiest one to accept...).

Actually being able to wear my high boots without loosening the straps making gaps has been amazing. And I've bought several more of those high boots - I love them! Okay, maybe a bit overboard with 5-6 different pairs but - I CAN WEAR THEM!!!

:smile: :happy:
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The thing that gets me is that no one tells you how expensive it is to have to keep buying new pants every month, and what the heck they do with all the old big pants. I mean, I'll keep one pair of starting fat pants, for comparison, but I'm not keeping any of these other pants around. I have NO intention of ever needing them again.

What do you do with them? How many pairs of pants do you buy every time you drop a size?
    This one got to me, too! I wore my clothes probably way too long before I replaced them because I didn't see the changes at first. I gave some to a friend of mine also losing - the rest went to charity or thrown away. I guess I went overboard there too; buying clothes that fit in smaller sizes than I was used to was one of the biggest joys I've had along the way! But when I think back, I probably had 2-3 pants with good fit and the rest were too large or even a bit too small if I wanted to have a pair to measure my progress. I got rid of all my fat clothes because I dreaded going back up and needing them again... but now I'd actually wish that I'd kept something for comparison.